BSNL 3G network reception problem on Xolo X900

Guest Protoplasm

Guest Protoplasm

I bought a Xolo X900 in October last year. I have a BSNL prepaid SIM card in my phone (All micro BSNL prepaid cards are 2G).

I have not been able to register my BSNL SIM on a 3G network ever in this handset. (I have tried a custom cut 3G BSNL SIM which also failed to register the 3G network). Initially, there were frequent total network loss. I mended it by instaling the Network app from the Play store which allowed me to set the reception mode to "GSM only". The problem recurrs if I try to set the reception mode to "WCDMA only" or "WCDMA preferred".

Interestingly, the same SIM (and all other BSNL SIM including 2G and 3G) registers the 3G network on my Nokia 5800 and also my 3G internet dongle (Huawei 1550E).

Has anybody else also faced the same problem? If yes, can it be overcome by the Xolo updates?

(BTW, I updated initially with the 27 MB update and not thereafter due to the fear of not being able to root my device ever, if required. The update had no effect on the network reception.)

Can the learned men in this forum throw some light on what can be the reason for such a behaviour by my Xolo X900?

Guest Protoplasm

Dear BlueMoonRising and Thedarkphonetech,

Kindly understand the problem before dismissing it outright.

The problem is no more of the network drops (which occurred due to the default setting of "WCDMA preferred" and which was overcome by an app and setting the network registration mode to "GSM only". And this is the solution which BlueMoonRising is referring to, and which I provided for a fellow in another thread who is suffering from the problem as I was initially).

What I wish for is 3G (or HSDPA or WCDMA) network on my phone which I'm not able to acheive. The same SIM card in my Xolo X900 registers 3G network on my Nokia 5800 and my internet dongle. However, in Xolo X900, the SIM can work well only in "GSM only" mode and not in any other mode which involves WCDMA. If I set the mode to "WCDMA only" or "WCDMA preferred" network drops start to recur and the network strength bar trianlge is replaced by a small trianlge with a small cross in it.

I hope my point is clear now.

Edited by Protoplasm

Guest BlueMoonRising

Dear BlueMoonRising and Thedarkphonetech,

Kindly understand the problem before dismissing it outright.

The problem is no more of the network drops (which occurred due to the default setting of "WCDMA preferred" and which was overcome by an app and setting the network registration mode to "GSM only". And this is the solution which BlueMoonRising is referring to, and which I provided for a fellow in another thread who is suffering from the problem as I was initially).

What I wish for is 3G (or HSDPA or WCDMA) network on my phone which I'm not able to acheive. The same SIM card in my Xolo X900 registers 3G network on my Nokia 5800 and my internet dongle. However, in Xolo X900, the SIM can work well only in "GSM only" mode and not in any other mode which involves WCDMA. If I set the mode to "WCDMA only" or "WCDMA preferred" network drops start to recur and the network strength bar trianlge is replaced by a small trianlge with a small cross in it.

I hope my point is clear now.

I didn't "dismiss it outright", I merely asked had you not already answered your own question. And yes your point is, at least now, clear.

BTW you don't need an app to enable 2G only, you can do it through settings. I have https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.painless.pc&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5wYWlubGVzcy5wYyJd installed with a button just for this as we have poor 3G where I live, so normally have it on 2G only unless I'm using the internet in a stronger area.

If you've already installed the first patch I would go ahead and install the latest one as well. Yes you would lose any chance of root but having a workable phone is presumably more important. I'm not sure if it affects the radio receiver/transmitter or not.

Guest Protoplasm

Thanks BlueMoonRising for understanding the issue.

I now have the latest update installed and the 3G network coverage where I live is good (full strength as seen in my Nokia 5800). Still the problem persists.

Would that hold the phone as the culprit for not being able to receive 3G signals? or could there be any other software related issue?

Edited by Protoplasm

Guest BlueMoonRising

Thanks BlueMoonRising for understanding the issue.

I now have the latest update installed and the 3G network coverage where I live is good (full strength as seen in my Nokia 5800). Still the problem persists.

Would that hold the phone as the culprit for not being able to receive 3G signals? or could there be any other software related issue?

Have you tried asking BSNL? I'm in the UK so have no knowledge of the company. Whether it's the phone or just a setting I really couldn't say.