Acer Liquid E2 Duo - Dual SIM Quad Core for under £180?

Guest Maximus9

Guest Chris Johnston

Pretty average review on Engadget http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/12/acer-liquid-e2-review/

Not the first review to belittle the phone in comparison to the nexus 4, but thats a £100 more and you're stuck with less than 16GB

Mine flys on all the apps I've used.

OK the focus on the camera is iffy, so you have to take care with your shots, but everything else seems fine for the money.

Guest LeWill

That seems a fairly harsh review. I've been very happy with the phone so I guess it really doesn't matter what the reviews say as they neither make the phone worse or better. The reviews never seem to consider that the phone is dual sim which brings a lot of benefit if that is what you are after. I've also found the camera absolutely fine, noticing in night shots the images appear better than those taken on my wife's iPhone 4S. Maybe my expectations are simply low, but I have no regrets about purchasing this phone as it has exceeded my expectations.

Guest Maximus9
Not the first review to belittle the phone in comparison to the nexus 4, but thats a £100 more and you're stuck with less than 16GB

And Nexus 4 it's not Dual SIM.

On the other hand, although I am the one who started this thread and promoted this phone everywhere, I must say I had all sorts of problems with it.

yesterday, I lost signal after 5 min of conversation. Tried on both SIMs, one on Giffgaff one on EE. Hard to believe it was something not related to the phone. I picked up another phone on Lyca network and could talk without any issues.

10% of my touchscreen has become unresponsive. I am so scared of the customer support from Acer that I am postponing contacting them to send it to them.

I did contact them right after buying the phone, and they said I would have to pay £15 to send it to them using insured DHL or something.

I said well that is a lot, considering Interlink 24h is insured and would cost about £10. They should have business deals with couriers and get even lower tariffs.

And why would I need to pay for their defective phone?

I got a weird answer saying something like well you could send it to us free of charge... so first they tell you you HAVE to pay £15, and only if you retaliate you get to find out you could send it free of charge.

Guest Chris Johnston

Sorry to hear you have had problems, but obviously that can happen. Can't you just sent it back to the seller and get a replacement or from Acer, if they are offering free postage and who say the phones guaranteed for 2 years ! Hope you sort it out and get a fully working replacement.

Guest LeWill

I feel I've been lucky with the phone but I'm scared problems are waiting for me! Sadly, my "luck" should really be the norm. I'm currently considering buying one of the Acer Windows 8 tablets but I've lost some confidence in Acer based on what I'm reading. :(

Guest LeWill

Chris - do you know if these phones have a 2 year world wide guarantee? Some of us bought the phones through Expansys and I assume they imported.

Guest Chris Johnston

Don't know if it's a world wide guarantee, but it will cover the UK. Expansys have UK offices and are a legitimate seller.

Check this link from Acer UK, at the bottom its says, "Smartphones - 2 years carry in" - http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/standard-warranty

If you haven't already, make sure you register your Phone with Acer - http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3100/~/product-and-warranty-registration

It's unfortunate that Maximus9 has had a faulty device, but I'm sure when he returns it he will get a fully functioning replacement.

Guest Maximus9

I'll keep you guys informed of how things will go. I ordered it from expansys Ireland because it was not sold on the UK website at the time (I am one of the first to buy it in the UK).

I registered my product. Then tried contacting them. First problem, could not select V370 from their drop lists.

Managed to contact them somehow and got the following:

As per our records, I could see that the phone has been delivered and purchased in France.

Regarding your enquiry, as you have contacted Acer UK.

We are only able to assist UK customers with warranty and technical queries.

If you select the link below and select your country, you will be taken to your local Acer website, where the Service and Support section will contain contact details for your local Acer service centre.

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/service.htm

If you do not reside in France, then please let us know the place of your residence.

For further assistance, please do not hesitate to e-mail or contact us on 0871 760 1000 (UK), 0818 202 210 (Eire), from Monday to Friday, between 09:00 and 06:00 PM, BST.

I replied:

I am holding in my hand an invoice from Expansys UK Ltd, SL7 1EY, UK.

I ordered the phone from expansys.ie.

Order ref is xxx, invoice number: xxx-UK, date: 04-Jul-2013.

As you can see, never in this process was involved France.

They replied:

Thank you for providing the conformation and the details, I will update the records.

Before that can you please conform once the serial number of the phone.

To locate the serial number of the unit, you can use the link below.

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7828

Regarding the query, I would like to inform you that from your description of this fault your phone may need to be brought into our repair centre for DOA assessment.

• Store name and exact or approximate date of purchase.

• Your name and address (From where do you want the product to be picked and delivered back to).

• Contact telephone number (If you are providing your mobile number, please let us know if you want to be updated by SMS).

• E-mail address

• login password.

We would like to inform, UPS will provide the packaging box for our customers at a cost of £15.50. This is a premium service and is an option provided to our customers.

It is covered for insurance against damage in transit. UPS will take care of packaging and shipment. The UPS premium service is an option and its not compulsory.

If you don't want to proceed with the premium service, you can send the unit to the repair centre by arranging the own packaging box. Please let us know if you would like to proceed with the option?

As you can see I am encouraged to pay an extortionate amount of money for a return. I only paid £10 to have it special delivered from Ireland, although the invoice came from the UK, so I suspect it was delivered from UK. How can they ask more money for a return than the money paid for the initial delivery??

They also missed some lines in the copy paste and made the message hard to understand. To me it sounded like they were asking me for my password and email.

I also did not like the fact I was asked for the serial number, even though my product was already registered!

I asked them about it, and they replied:

Regarding the Ups premium service, premium service is an option provided to our customers and its not compulsory. some customers will accept it as it is covered for insurance against damage in transit.

As your product is inwarranty, we will take care of the shipping free of charge, Ups premium service is a paid service optional not compulsory.

Regarding the service centre: our service centre is based in Uk in Ashford, Kent, TN23 7SH.

Please provide us the required details, so that we can book your product in for repair.

So let me get this, they will take care of the shipping free of charge now???? Check the previous email, they said I can either pay £15 for their PREMIUM service, or I can pay my own arrangements!

What is the truth ? I will soon find out I guess.

The whole system is silly, even though you have your product registered you are still asked for serial number and model and so on if you want to ask them anything.

Hope this will help others get a feeling of what they have to do in case of problems and what they will be facing if they decide contacting them.

Guest zontor

HI,

can you guys confirm if this phone has miracast support? (the wireless display option hunder display in settings menu)

and also if we can use mhl (usb-hdmi) with him or external usb storage with usb otg?

thanks

Guest theflapjackking

HI,

can you guys confirm if this phone has miracast support? (the wireless display option hunder display in settings menu)

and also if we can use mhl (usb-hdmi) with him or external usb storage with usb otg?

thanks

Yep it has the wireless display option. It doesn't seem to support usb-otg I plugged a memory stick and a mouse into the the usb otg cable and no response on the stock rom no root.

Guest Joost39

I just luv this phone mostly because of the dualsim plus the price...

BUT it does not have Danish locale and morelocale2 does not work - its the first time that a Android phone has this limitation??

Can anyone help out plz?

Guest vickdu31

Hi, this phone is really famous now in France, Spain, Italy and i hope it will become more ! But there is not any place/community available, with any developpers.

Some people in some lost forums try to make some roms but we need to be all together.

How to ask a new dedicated section in Modnaco ?

Guest Chris Johnston

Hi, the phone has only just got a mainstream seller in the UK with Three, before that is was Expansys or other European import routes.

Three are selling it for a great PAYG price of £149.99 (plus £10 top up). Hopefully it should sell at that price, because to get these specs for price on an Android phone right now, are risky Chinese imports, with guarantee and other issues. Though it must be said there are some fine sounding models available from there.

If it sells well, then developers should jump on board, I've only seen one so far http://www.jfdesignnet.com/?p=3181, but have not seen any user feedback for it, I'm sure there are other roms being produced in Europe, as the phone was launched earlier over there.

Anyway, I'm pleased with how the phone as it runs now, with near stock android and Acer seemingly willing to provide regular updates. All bodes well for the phone.

Guest Joost39

Yeah its a pretty decent Android phone that runs very smooth, and deals well with two simcards online - use it everyday as a workphone and a homephone.

I´m very pleased with it allround.

Guest theflapjackking

I have had the Black E2 Duo for a few days now after upgrading from my Orange San Francisco (Gen 1 OLED) I'm really impressed with it the GPS works fine and the dual sim function has been integrated well with the nearly stock android 4.2.

It also has some nice additions such as the option to power the device on and off at set times which I find handy for having the device turn on in the morning ready for use. overall it is a vast improvement over the San Fran in terms of speed and usability, the only downer is the screen is not as nice as the San Fran in terms of vibrancy and blacks. Well worth a purchase!

Here's some pictures:

de3a2be.jpg

The screen is not as dull as this its due to my polarizing filter!

de37bea.jpg

30f92bf.jpg

224a1b5.jpg

Guest gustafo

Hi,

Bought this phone from Amazon in france, when i started up the phone for the 1st time after receiving it the phone is in chinese language, can somebody tell me how do i change it to English??

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Maximus9

I presented a rom, but there is no section ... :wacko:

If you already presented it, there must have been a section where you presented it...

The ROM in your signature is for other phones, not for the Acer, right?

ok boys and girls, I have the duo version and am trying to use a 'three' sim on their 321 tariff. I know they sell the E2 but it is only the single sim version.

Despite apparently connecting to their 3g network (two bars worth) I don't seem to be able to make calls, text, or use data. Anybody else have this problem with the duo, or if its working fine can they post the apn settings?

Edited by mrrog

Ignore post above, seems to be working now, reckon 'three' did something overnight.

But have to say their network coverage is poor, so not going to transfer my number, just use sim for mobile network when away from home.

• 2 weeks later...