Does anyone who has tried iOS think Android is acceptable?

Guest Confucious

Guest Thumper Net

Now have ios 7 on my iphone 5 , makes the phone slower and you see so much android rippoffs as well , battery dies quicker as well , still prefer my htc one black over my black iphone 5 , mainly because of the better screen and sound

Guest Thumper Net

Now have ios 7 on my iphone 5 , makes the phone slower and you see so much android rippoffs as well , battery dies quicker as well , still prefer my htc one black over my black iphone 5 , mainly because of the better screen and sound

Guest relentlessforce

It's quite clear this is a troll topic (no-one can possibly argue from such an angle of ignorance) but I love troll baiting. I have a work phone (iP5) and personal phone (n4).

For me, that setup works quite well. The IT dept are happy that my work stuff is safe (as someone has said, the user is the problem) and I am happy to have a more personalised experience on my personal phone.

It is perfectly true to say that if you like to be told what your phone will do for you then the iPhone is what you need. If you are more technically competent and want to customise your phone to how you use it the android is superior. All the criticisms of Android that I've seen here are based on ignorance... Painful to read in this day and age.

Neither is bad and both cater to different types of people.

Guest Confucious

A troll topic? I've never been called a troll before. your 7 posts obviously make you an expert..

your last line is true but iOS is for people that don't want to be geeks. And thats from an uber geek!

Guest MJonMoDaCo

Overhyped, underperforming and therefore overpriced piece of hardware. The only thing good about it is the specs - but I can get the same with the latest HTC, or Samsung, or even ZTE...

The only way to get iPhone working at its best is to jailbreak it. It's for those that enjoy being spoonfed by the corporates.

Besides: Why else would the OP need to come on here with such a bias loaded question, as if to try and satisfy himself with the idea that he's making the right move? His 'experiment' was apparently done after 36 hours from his original post and only having one answer!?!

"He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever."

I kind of wish you never bothered, Peanut Brain.

Guest grice123

I used ios before, just for a very short time. But since i bought an Android phone on Comebuy (not sure what is its full name) , then i have been using this phone and Android os since now. 

But currently i might try other os. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Voxpop2011

only jailbreaking an iphone gives you the android freedom

Not so.  You have to at least root an Android to get any measure of freedom.

I have been using mobiles since the late 1990's.  I can't even remember the name of the o2 pay and go phone I had then.  I have had a couple of clamshells, then an LG Viewty I which I thought was the business :D and still have it.  After that I moved to the iPhone 3GS and finally the 4.  In the meantime, I was so paranoid about losing or damaging my expensive phone - no contract for me - that I returned to Android when I was looking for a cheap weekend/holiday phone.

I cannot really compare my iPhone with a low budge Android, but each has satisfied my needs.

Guest MJonMoDaCo

Not so.  You have to at least root an Android to get any measure of freedom.

I have been using mobiles since the late 1990's.  I can't even remember the name of the o2 pay and go phone I had then.  I have had a couple of clamshells, then an LG Viewty I which I thought was the business :D and still have it.  After that I moved to the iPhone 3GS and finally the 4.  In the meantime, I was so paranoid about losing or damaging my expensive phone - no contract for me - that I returned to Android when I was looking for a cheap weekend/holiday phone.

I cannot really compare my iPhone with a low budge Android, but each has satisfied my needs.

Half of the "features" of iPhone 5 have been present in some form or another on android for more than a year now. Sometimes two. Live wallpapers for example. There isn't any comparison. No rooting needed for that either. I guess we just take it for granted now...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest slaguru

We all preface our comment with how long we have been using mobiles, et al, and that lends some weight to our comments about one phone is this one phone is that. 

Full disclosure, I work for what is deemed to be the worlds biggest EMM company as a technical consultant, so my current phone line up is, 

iphone 5s, 5c, 5, 4s, Note 2, note 3, Lumia 920, 925, 1020, HTC 8x, HTC One, GS3, GS4, BBZ10, BBQ10, Nexus 4, Nexus5, HTC HD2.

In our work we deal with all manner of clients who use various mobility solutions for work, and BYOD strategies.

The way I see it is that you use what is right for you and respect the other guys. Each platform has a set of advantages and disadvantages, and to argue against an opinion with another opinion is stupid.

Android is great, 4.4 is nice and clean and quick on the N5, but its seriously compromised when it comes to business apps and business connectivity (EAS for example)

BB10 is solid and reliable, and ticks the right boxes for a lot of IT managers. Its APP ecosystem is a disaster however.

WinPhone8 has some great devices, but people find it hard to trust that Microsoft take it seriously

IOS is locked down and sandboxed, available on few devices, but IT managers like LACK of choice, it keeps it simple, and the APP experience is the best. 

Just remember, telling people who have just spend or willing to spend £100's on a phone that they are wrong because they don't see things the way you do is childish and wrong, respect peoples choice. Thank god we have a choice unlike the PC market for so many years.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nvkid909

Well said.

The thing with iPhone owners is, there is essentially two kinds. You got your apple fanboys, then you got your fickle folk who buy tech for fashion over function.

How many iphone user actually own a mac? Apple products are really meant to be used together, & iTunes is perfect in that respect. From what I can gather, people who slate iTunes are PC users, still stuck in the old days of WinAmp or WMP. Sure, iTunes is best working with apple products, but it's more than adequate for the 'old' timers who find anything other than drag & drop too difficult. Really, these people should listen to themselves sometimes, they sound like their grandparents!

I choose not to have an iPhone simply because android phones are just as good, & really, I don't buy a phone because of fashion! This is what has got the apple fanboys riled. They thought Apple were top dog selling fashion items to everyone, & then comes along someone selling decent, all rounder products. How Dare They!!!

• 4 months later...
Guest MJonMoDaCo

Android is great, 4.4 is nice and clean and quick on the N5, but its seriously compromised when it comes to business apps and business connectivity (EAS for example)

BB10 is solid and reliable, and ticks the right boxes for a lot of IT managers. Its APP ecosystem is a disaster however.

WinPhone8 has some great devices, but people find it hard to trust that Microsoft take it seriously

IOS is locked down and sandboxed, available on few devices, but IT managers like LACK of choice, it keeps it simple, and the APP experience is the best. 

So all you're essentially saying is that iPhone is superior to all other ecosystems because of the app experience?

Well now, that's just your opinion ;)

Guest Confucious

So all you're essentially saying is that iPhone is superior to all other ecosystems because of the app experience?

Well now, that's just your opinion ;)

His and many other peoples opinion.

Have you noticed how leggy Android is? 5 month lag in replying to forum posts make it to slow for me ;)

Edited by Confucious

Guest MJonMoDaCo

His and many other peoples opinion.

Have you noticed how leggy Android is? 5 month lag in replying to forum posts make it to slow for me  ;)

*Wonders if you bothered using the same standard on yourself?*

Besides: Why else would the OP need to come on here with such a bias loaded question, as if to try and satisfy himself with the idea that he's making the right move? His 'experiment' was apparently done after 36 hours from his original post and only having one answer!?!

"He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever."

I kind of wish you never bothered, Peanut Brain.

Heh, even by your OWN standards, would make your own phone a failure (and you a hypocrite!) ... That's more than 6 months ago now... Of course, thats using your flawed thinking...

Guest glossywhite

One other thing that annoys me about Apple is that you cannot use Bluetooth to transfer files between phones. The Windows phone also used to suffer from this, but at least MS put it right.

You now have "AirDrop", which is infinitely more seamless and simple than any bluetooth transfer. Granted, it only works on iOS, but when you know Apple make the best everything, why would you not be using iOS devices? AirDrop is a WiFi/Bluetooth proprietary hybrid technology - don't ask me how it works, it just does:

AirDrop-featured.png

Why on earth we needs PINs, handset names etc, is beyond me. AirDrop is everything bluetooth file transfer EVER wanted to be but failed to be in real world implementation. 

Alternatively, one tends to use "Instashare" (iOS & Android compatible).

Guest maniac_mouse

You now have "AirDrop", which is infinitely more seamless and simple than any bluetooth transfer. Granted, it only works on iOS, but when you know Apple make the best everything, why would you not be using iOS devices? AirDrop is a WiFi/Bluetooth proprietary hybrid technology - don't ask me how it works, it just does:

Thats still limited to a really small set of Apple devices and requires network connectivity.  Why not just use industry standard bluetooth instead of this locked in propriety crap?

I notice that even with this, Apple are trying to force people to upgrade to a newer iphone model, there is no technical reason why it shouldnt work on the 4s and below, but once again Apple  couldnt resist putting an artificial barrier in there to gouge more money from the sheep.

And while were at it, after jailbreaking my old iphone, i installed a hacked bluetooth stack that did file transfer and connected to any device thrown at it, unlike the built in crippled one, so why the blue blazes couldnt they just take the trainer wheels off the iphones bluetooth stack and stop pissing about with locked in, dead end solutions like that airdrop thing?*.

*yeah i know the answer, lock in & incompatibility=profit

Edited by maniac_mouse

Guest glossywhite

Thats still limited to a really small set of Apple devices and requires network connectivity.  Why not just use industry standard bluetooth instead of this locked in propriety crap?

I notice that even with this, Apple are trying to force people to upgrade to a newer iphone model, there is no technical reason why it shouldnt work on the 4s and below, but once again Apple  couldnt resist putting an artificial barrier in there to gouge more money from the sheep.

And while were at it, after jailbreaking my old iphone, i installed a hacked bluetooth stack that did file transfer and connected to any device thrown at it, unlike the built in crippled one, so why the blue blazes couldnt they just take the trainer wheels off the iphones bluetooth stack and stop pissing about with locked in, dead end solutions like that airdrop thing?*.

*yeah i know the answer, lock in & incompatibility=profit

AirDrop is peer to peer technology; do you really think Apple engineers would be so stupid as to implement a file transfer technology between mobile devices, that depended on you having a router/AP to make use of it? That's the kind of stupidity of design I would expect as a given from other vendors, but AirDrop is peer to peer, you can take my word for that, and if you can't, here's further proof:

http://www.imore.com/airdrop-iphone-ipad

I've just confirmed this on my two iPod Touch 5th gens; I turned off my router (the only WiFi I have) and turned off Wifi AND Bluetooth on both iPods, then turned on AirDrop in "Control Center" and shared a JPEG from one to the other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atrR2z721j4

You see, there's a difference between me and most people online - I actually test what I argue to be the case, before posting online. I don't rely on hearsay, I actually prove it physically before I make a fool of myself (I'm not saying you did, I am merely saying that I don't post until I am sure, FIRST hand).

post-625969-0-97744000-1398806007_thumb.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest anotherjib

I would compare iOS vs Android dilemma with the choice between living well fed and cared of in a zoo vs living absolutely free in a jungle completely on your own...

Guest maniac_mouse

AirDrop is peer to peer technology; do you really think Apple engineers would be so stupid as to implement a file transfer technology between mobile devices, that depended on you having a router/AP to make use of it? That's the kind of stupidity of design I would expect as a given from other vendors, but AirDrop is peer to peer, you can take my word for that, and if you can't, here's further proof:

Fair enough, the review on some random tech blog I looked at stated it needed to be on a network, I guess it was wrong, my bad, i should have cross referenced the info with another source.  Its still propriety and only available on recent iphones though, so my other points still stand.

I just realised that my phones rom has a similar thing built in, but can use nfc as well as wireless.  Another propriety thing thats not widespread enough to be useful unfortunately.

Guest glossywhite

Fair enough, the review on some random tech blog I looked at stated it needed to be on a network, I guess it was wrong, my bad, i should have cross referenced the info with another source.  Its still propriety and only available on recent iphones though, so my other points still stand.

I just realised that my phones rom has a similar thing built in, but can use nfc as well as wireless.  Another propriety thing thats not widespread enough to be useful unfortunately.

I seem to have identified the issue here: "some random tech blog"

Any man and his dog can, and do, write blogs.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Voxpop2011

Any man and his dog can, and do, write blogs.

Which is precisely why I do not feel the need.  The blogesphere is full of self-regarding content.

I finally ditched iOS in favour of Blackberry (a mistake) and have made a partial return to Android in the form of Vodafone's £50 Smart 4 mini.  Ultimately, I will buy a dual sim model to deal with my two contact numbers.  Just looking for something with a light google layer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest glossywhite

Just in case anybody would wonder: Because I don't hate iPhones. I just think they can do better... And when they do, I'm sure I'd be enticed to buy one! And here's your chance Apple...

Fill that market.

Apple don't need "a chance" - Apple defined the smartphone space - iPhone is THE gold standard; they made it what it is - they don't play catch up, they've no need to - people who buy iPhones buy iPhones, and Apple don't really pay much attention to people who don't buy them - that's just another distraction which they shouldn't have to care about, nor do they.

Even if Apple didn't release a larger iPhone, which it now seems to appear that they will, they'll still sell boatloads of the current models, and not even care about grabbing market share - they're about focusing intensely on a few core products and making them a beautiful, elegant and intuitive experience, not shipping billions of mediocre, rushed-out models that satisfy people who wouldn't know a decent UX from a cheeseburger.

Edited by glossywhite