OTA Update failed

Guest Wayne877

Guest Wayne877

Hi Guys,

I found the update notification on my phone, went ahead with the update and it took ages! The battery was nearly full and fully discharged while it was updating. I was at a friends house so no charger. When I got home I fully charged the phone and switched the phone on and got the nexus cross animation and thats all. I tried to enter recovery mode but got the no command icon.

Any help would be appreciated, I do have experience of rooting and flashing custom roms on my HTC Desire but have not touched the nexus since I got it. So everything on the phone is stock

Here is an interesting thing, my wife tagged me in a facebook post telling peeps that my phone was out of order. Just after she posted, the facebook app on my phone notified me of the tag despite showing the nexus boot anmiation!

Guest comicbookguy

when you have access to a computer, download and install the latest "wugs toolkit".

It's pretty self explanatory with good inbuilt instructions, tho it's not really optimised for 4.3 yet.

I've never been in exactly this situation, tho i've been in some pretty bad ones on several devices :) and i'll help if i can.

If it's fixable, Wugs will give you a good shot as long as you can access the different android modes and install the the drivers you will need.

It sound's like it's powered down halfway thru installing the update, possibly in the middle of installing the screen drivers.

Wugs should allow you to pull your user data off the phone to your computer and then push a new recovery back on, then you can install a rom of choice, either stock or not, root it (recommended if you want to start making backups, lol) and restore most if not all of your data back (i presume your contacts and calendar are synced with google anyway)

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest geoff1951

Long time no post, since I ditched the San Diego for a Nexus 4. Wahoo!

However... like Wayne 877, I go the update message a couple of days ago, but it failed to complete the download/install.

Kept getting the fail message So I've done a factory reset, and now it just tells me it's up to date.

With 4.2.2, oh no it isn't.

Sorry chaps, but I just don't want to go down the root route, I had enough heart-stopping moments with the OSD. So, just a simple question - has anyone got any experience/comments on the OTA update on an unrooted N4?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Wayne877
Long time no post, since I ditched the San Diego for a Nexus 4. Wahoo!

However... like Wayne 877, I go the update message a couple of days ago, but it failed to complete the download/install.

Kept getting the fail message So I've done a factory reset, and now it just tells me it's up to date.

With 4.2.2, oh no it isn't.

Sorry chaps, but I just don't want to go down the root route, I had enough heart-stopping moments with the OSD. So, just a simple question - has anyone got any experience/comments on the OTA update on an unrooted N4?

Thanks in advance.

Right if you enter the bootloader by pressing volume down and enter, press down till you get the recovery of option. Press enter and you get the no command screen. Press volume up and enter and there are recovery options. If you go to factory reset, enter then after the reset, restart the phone.

After doing this my phone was able to turn on normally and after going thru the welcome/setup screens was able to rebuild all my apps. After about an hour later everything is working as it should and on 4.3 too

Guest geoff1951

Hi Wayne, thanks, but I've tried that already. The no command screen gave me a fright, but then it went as you say. Took a while to get my apps back the way I want (except for one news feed that I'd deliberately not updated, bummer.) but it's still on 4.2.2 and says it's up to date.

Oh well. I'll see if it tries again over the next few days.

Edited by geoff1951

Guest ringo42

I have the same problem. However when I get the no command screen pressing volume up and enter does not do anything. I've tried every combination I can think of with the volume keys and enter. It just sits there at no command forever. This is a stock phone. No rooting or anything like that. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Ringo

Guest EddyOS

You can manually download/flash the OTA file without a rooted phone. Have a read of this post for more information:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2145848

OR you can download/flash the full system image if you don't mind losing your data but you will have to unlock the bootloader first (you can lock it again afterwards once done if you want, though)

Guest geoff1951

Update - been away from a decent web interface (proper computer and keyboard...) for a few days. while away, the phone showed the update was ready to install. So, battery fully charged, it loaded after about 20 minutes.

Initial observations difficult to judge, but it generally seems a bit smoother in operation.

Good luck to the rest who are still waiting.