[Help] Lost 3G, only 2G working

Guest BrianMT

Guest BrianMT

Hi everyone, i'm new to the forums and smartphones as well.

A week or so ago I bought a Huawei Ascend G300 which came with ICS 4.0 , it was lagging a bit and I read that using a custom ROM usually makes it better.

I got CM 10.1 on, but after the installing i must have messed something up and the google apps didnt install plus I lost data on the phone (had signal, could call and text but no 2G or 3G).

I tried fixing it but I decided to stay with the normal android that came with the phone.

I found on the forums the official huawei update to ICS, through CWM i erased everything and installed the update through the pink bar thing (volume up and down).

Everything went back to normal as if it came out the box, but I noticed only one single problem: I can't connect to 3G.

I read around and tried the "usual suspects": data is enabled, only 2G is unticked, erased and restored to default the APNs....

Not sure what else to do. Any help?

I'm trying to avoid going to the proveder's service due to the whole custom rom I tried to do.

I'm in argentina by the way.

Thanks, please let me know what info you need.

Guest BrianMT

Yes, i did the unofficial unlock....

Ok I'll contact Huawei for the code and try unlocking. Doing that should restore the 3g or are there additional steps to it?

I'll come back with the results as soon as possible

Thanks for the reply

Guest dalyer

Sorry - I posted some comments about bootloader unlocking and then removed them as I wasn't sure that they were relevant. I assume from your earlier post that you saw them before I deleted them. Hope they did not mislead you.

Just to clarify - the problem is when you attempt 3G data access it fails?

if you tick 2G only does data transfer work?

Are you sure that the APN is correct? I would not assume that the default was necessarily correct.

If everything looks correct but 3G data is not working then maybe try flashing the ROM again just in case...

After that I'd be wondering about stuff like RIL modules but I assume that the stock B952 update.app is fully self contained and installs everything (e.g. recovery, bootloader, kernel, baseband, ROM, RIL etc.) needed so that there should be no mismatches...? Maybe somebody else can confirm this?

Hope this helps

Edited by dalyer

Guest BrianMT

Sorry - I posted some comments about bootloader unlocking and then removed them as I wasn't sure that they were relevant. I assume from your earlier post that you saw them before I deleted them. Hope they did not mislead you.

Just to clarify - the problem is when you attempt 3G data access it fails?

if you tick 2G only does data transfer work?

Are you sure that the APN is correct? I would not assume that the default was necessarily correct.

If everything looks correct but 3G data is not working then maybe try flashing the ROM again just in case...

After that I'd be wondering about stuff like RIL modules but I assume that the stock B952 update.app is fully self contained and installs everything (e.g. recovery, bootloader, kernel, baseband, ROM, RIL etc.) needed so that there should be no mismatches...? Maybe somebody else can confirm this?

Hope this helps

Exactly, but not so much. I dont need to tick "use only 2g", even if that is unticked I have data transfer but only in 2g. It doesnt find the 3g networks. I looked around just to be sure and the APNs are correct.

When you say flashing the rom again do you mean reinstalling the stock? or finding a stock zip of it and flashing it through official bootloader?

Guest dalyer

Exactly, but not so much. I dont need to tick "use only 2g", even if that is unticked I have data transfer but only in 2g. It doesnt find the 3g networks. I looked around just to be sure and the APNs are correct.

OK - I just wasn't clear if it was a case of no data transfer (2G or 3G) working at all or just 3G not working. That seems very odd...

What does System settings > About phone > Status > Mobile network type say?

If you dial *#*#4636#*#* and go to Phone information what does it say especially under Set preferred network type?

When you say flashing the rom again do you mean reinstalling the stock? or finding a stock zip of it and flashing it through official bootloader?

I just meant reinstalling the B952 update.app again just in case something went wrong the first time around. Probably a long shot but you never know.

If that doesn't help then I'm a but stumped right now unfortunately... :blush:

Edited by dalyer

Guest dalyer

AHA!! I only noticed now that your first post says that you're in Argentina. In that case is this of any use to you?!?

http://www.modaco.co...50-mhz-regions/

Also

http://www.modaco.com/topic/362715-no-3g-signal-unable-to-receive-calls-or-texts/

But please read all relevant threads and note any caveats before doing anything.

Hope this helps.

Edited by dalyer

Guest BrianMT

OK - I just wasn't clear if it was a case of no data transfer (2G or 3G) working at all or just 3G not working. That seems very odd...

What does System settings > About phone > Status > Mobile network type say?

If you dial *#*#4636#*#* and go to Phone information what does it say especially under Set preferred network type?

I just meant reinstalling the B952 update.app again just in case something went wrong the first time around. Probably a long shot but you never know.

If that doesn't help then I'm a but stumped right now unfortunately... :blush:

It says mobile network type GPRS: 1, and when i dial that it says preferred WCDMA or something like that.

I'll try reinstalling if nothing else works

Guest BrianMT

AHA!! I only noticed now that your first post says that you're in Argentina. In that case is this of any use to you?!?

http://www.modaco.co...50-mhz-regions/

Also

http://www.modaco.co...calls-or-texts/

http://www.modaco.co...60#entry2121999

But please read all relevant threads and note any caveats before doing anything.

Hope this helps.

I'll try the first as soon as I get home, sounds promising!!!! =)

Guest dalyer

It sounds like some stock ROMs may install modem firmware that is not appropriate for certain environments (e.g. Latin America 850MHz?) and can leave you without 3G.

Installing the "correct" modem firmware may (will?) fix this.

But I don't like the alleged risk of the IMEI getting tampered with as a side effect and I would hold off until that issue is clarified.

Maybe somebody else knows more about that patch or you could ask in the thread linked above before doing anything?

Edited by dalyer

Guest akarana

Some stock ROMs reset some internal config settings.

Before going thru the rigmarole of installing LA modems the OP could try a simple check:

Dial *#*#4636#*#* -select Phone information -scroll down and select Set preferred network type

In areas where GSM is on 900/1900 and UMTS on 900/2100 you should select GSM auto (PRL)

then reboot.

hth

Guest akarana

Sorry, I've no idea abt Argentina. I know that when I installed the Huawei B926 ROM it broke 3G for me in New Zealand when I went outside the city, and I fixed it as suggested. The point about going thru that Testing Menu is it's quick, and easy to go back if it doesn't work.

Guest BrianMT

I'll try the first as soon as I get home, sounds promising!!!! =)

I finally got back home and hot a chance to try and answer this....

I'm happy to say that it worked like a charm!! I re rooted and unlocked the bootloader, and flashed the zip of that post and it instantly recovered 3g.

Perfect!!!!! Thank yiou all for the replies =) =) =) =) =)

Guest BrianMT

Is your IMEI OK if you dial *#06#?

Yes, never needed to change it.

I did ,however, made a backup of it originally when I started rooting and putting the custom rom.

This fix was extremely simple and straight forward: root, unlock bootloader and load CWM....put the modem LA zip on the SD card, flash it. Got full 3g working.

Thank you very much i'm so glad it got fixed! =)

Guest dalyer

OK - just that there were a couple of reports of flashing that "Latin America" zip causing the IMEI to change or become zeroed.

If that didn't happen for you then happy days! :-) Glad you got it sorted and I was (hopefully?) able to help a bit eventually...