[DEV][ROM] Firefox OS for ZTE V9 [alpha - not for production]

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

for the insane or just very curious amongst you, here is a pre-alpha rom of Firefox OS (Boot to Gecko) for ZTE v9.

post-1008487-0-78453000-1377174171_thumbpost-1008487-0-52204000-1377174296_thumbpost-1008487-0-08994100-1377174316_thumb

AFAICT this is the first Android based armv6 port of Firefox OS! (I don't think the RPi port is Android/gonk based, and I can't see any other working armv6 b2g ports). it also looks like it's the first b2g device with all the headaches of a 270 degree screen rotation.

this is NOT an official Firefox OS port, nor a port that should be taken as representative of how Firefox OS behaves. there are many many things still not working and/or very slow which I would expect to be fixed in a real port. I just did the port to see if I could, and to see what Firefox OS looks like. my port is far from complete and is unlikely to ever be finished.

current git 'master' of the b2g gecko/gaia code was used. b2g was ported using my CyanogenMod 10 rom for v9 as a base. I use the gonk ICS graphics layer instead of a JB gonk as hwcomposer > 1.0 support doesn't exist in my CM10 or 10.1 ports so can't support a true JB gonk. lots of other hackery to get it to (semi) work.

the zip WILL format your /data, /boot, and /system partitions on install (won't touch the sd card though), so make sure you have backed these up before you start. it is also likely to crash.

download here (it WILL wipe all your data - backup first)

b2g-v9-20130822.zip

md5sum fc5071888b16993488d427adcf2cd14a

this rom requires >160MB in /system and >66MB in /data.

working

- display

- home button, power and volume buttons

- touchscreen

- screen rotation

- battery charging and levels

- sensors (light level, orientation, gravity)

- phone (RIL)

- sms

- wifi

- screen brightness and screen on/off

- vibration

- headphone detection and audio routing

- gps

- sdcard

- usb storage

- bluetooth (pairs ok, but nothing else tested)

- web browser

- boot logo (but rotated 90 degrees)

almost working

- audio (works ok after volume up/down is pressed when audio is playing - needed to init the audio system?)

- 2d and 3d graphics is working but seems slow

not working

- mobile data (rmnet0 comes up ok, but dns isn't set)

- camera

- fm radio

for sources and instructions see

Firefox OS Porting

my github

version history

2013-08-22

- fixed sdcard handling which also fixed usb storage and screenshot

- mozilla folks fixed bluetooth, gps, boot logo, most browser skitishness

- mozilla also changed the apps/market screen on the left. I think now it's generated from searches on the home screen?

- mozilla fixed mobile data default route, but mobile dns still doesn't work for me - might work for another carrier?

- graphics seems smoother now, but moving the shade up/down is actually slower according to the framerate metric (was 30fps, now ~12-15)

2013-08-06

- initial release

Edited by PlaguedByPenguins

Guest RogyHyde

I suppose that if I install this in a V9+, the touchscreen is no responding, no?

I think I will try, :/

If it don't work, I will be restoring the system (CM7.2) and all is ok.

EDIT:

CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5

--Installing: /sdcard/b2g-v9-20130806.zip

Installing update...

symlink: some symlinks failed

E:Error in /sdcard/b2g-v9-20130806.zip

(Status 7)

Installation aborted.

I remember... it is same error I got when installing any Android 4.X rom.

I forgot I repartitioned the NAND memory with this tutorial:

Restoring CM7... :/

I think I need a GP Peak+, xD

Edited by RogyHyde

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

I suppose that if I install this in a V9+, the touchscreen is no responding, no?

I remember... it is same error I got when installing any Android 4.X rom.

I forgot I repartitioned the NAND memory with this tutorial: http://www.modaco.co...tup-2011-08-15/

according to your link you have "Layout: /system 136Mb /data 300Mb /cache 5Mb". my firefox OS, cm10, cm10.1 roms need > 149, 154, and 196MB in /system respectively. so none of those OS's will work with the nand partitioning you have now, sorry.

most people seem to use the standard gen2 partitioning (where /system is 220MB) and then put many/all apps (that normally use space on /data) onto the sdcard via various means.

if you have a capacitive screen v9 model then I very much doubt it'll work with this firefox OS rom, but I'm not sure - there are some input handling differences between firefox OS and android.

Edited by PlaguedByPenguins

Guest PlaguedByPenguins

2013-08-22 rom posted. sdcard works now and generally it's a lot more usable. only mobile data is really a fundamental usability issue now.

Guest naifah
for the insane or just very curious amongst you, here is a pre-alpha rom of Firefox OS (Boot to Gecko) for ZTE v9.

post-1008487-0-78453000-1377174171_thumbpost-1008487-0-52204000-1377174296_thumbpost-1008487-0-08994100-1377174316_thumb

AFAICT this is the first Android based armv6 port of Firefox OS! (I don't think the RPi port is Android/gonk based, and I can't see any other working armv6 b2g ports). it also looks like it's the first b2g device with all the headaches of a 270 degree screen rotation.

this is NOT an official Firefox OS port, nor a port that should be taken as representative of how Firefox OS behaves. there are many many things still not working and/or very slow which I would expect to be fixed in a real port. I just did the port to see if I could, and to see what Firefox OS looks like. my port is far from complete and is unlikely to ever be finished.

current git 'master' of the b2g gecko/gaia code was used. b2g was ported using my CyanogenMod 10 rom for v9 as a base. I use the gonk ICS graphics layer instead of a JB gonk as hwcomposer > 1.0 support doesn't exist in my CM10 or 10.1 ports so can't support a true JB gonk. lots of other hackery to get it to (semi) work.

the zip WILL format your /data, /boot, and /system partitions on install (won't touch the sd card though), so make sure you have backed these up before you start. it is also likely to crash.

download here (it WILL wipe all your data - backup first)

b2g-v9-20130822.zip

md5sum fc5071888b16993488d427adcf2cd14a

this rom requires >160MB in /system and >66MB in /data.

working

- display

- home button, power and volume buttons

- touchscreen

- screen rotation

- battery charging and levels

- sensors (light level, orientation, gravity)

- phone (RIL)

- sms

- wifi

- screen brightness and screen on/off

- vibration

- headphone detection and audio routing

- gps

- sdcard

- usb storage

- bluetooth (pairs ok, but nothing else tested)

- web browser

- boot logo (but rotated 90 degrees)

almost working

- audio (works ok after volume up/down is pressed when audio is playing - needed to init the audio system?)

- 2d and 3d graphics is working but seems slow

not working

- mobile data (rmnet0 comes up ok, but dns isn't set)

- camera

- fm radio

for sources and instructions see

Firefox OS Porting

my github

version history

2013-08-22

- fixed sdcard handling which also fixed usb storage and screenshot

- mozilla folks fixed bluetooth, gps, boot logo, most browser skitishness

- mozilla also changed the apps/market screen on the left. I think now it's generated from searches on the home screen?

- mozilla fixed mobile data default route, but

- graphics seems smoother now, but moving the shade up/down is actually slower according to the framerate metric (was 30fps, now ~12-15)

2013-08-06

- initial release

Good looking i think..try something new,wait until rom alpha fixed :wub:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...