Beta 2: MoDaCo.SWITCH S4 i9505 support topic

Guest PaulOBrien

It is kinda disappointing :( thou it works pretty well :) Only thing i'm patiently waiting for is to give us ability to flash any rom (secondary) as Paul promised.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest crisdo98

TBH I'm over the dualboot S4 and just want a stable single rom. Paul has alwasys supplied quality roms and I hope that he turns to the S4 and creates a kitkat modaco rom.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PaulOBrien

First up an apology. Not just that releases haven't been as frequent and forthcoming as we all would like (although that's certainly the case), but also, most importantly, that I haven't communicated any progress / changes on the project as I should have.

When I first conceived Switch, the idea was that it would be ROM independent, allowing creators of any ROM to let their creation co-exist with the stock ROM on the device without requiring concurrent data stores. A difficult goal, one which I wasn't even sure was possible to start with. As the One and S4 ROMs with Switch became available in their initial forms, it became clear that this was going to be achievable - although it would have to be done in quite a specific way such that ROM developers didn't have to make huge Smali edits to their ROMs (as these edits frequently vary between devices / types / OS).

With that in mind, since the initial release of Switch I have been porting all of the changes to use Xposed instead of being code edits. I have also been updating all the scripts, ensuring that the user can't accidentally 'turn off' Switch in Xposed and also preparing for the new ROM updates (e.g. KitKat).

The Switch project certainly isn't dead - the reality is that I try and take on too much and don't focus on things well enough, which means projects like this end up slipping, not least over the last 6 months because I have been seriously overloaded with 'work stuff'. It's a personal flaw that i'm acutely aware of and *trying* to improve.

Since the release of 4.4 KitKat, I have been working away on ensuring all the changes work with that OS too and updating where necessary. Largely it all works the same way - there are nuances around things like the application databases etc., but that was always the case, so that's expected. The biggest problem for S4 at the moment is that there isn't really a stable GPe ROM to base Switch on. There is a reboot issue that persists at the moment in all the GPe ROMs, I plan to reach out to faux123, the awesome kernel developer, to see if I can assist in debugging what's causing it. In addition, 4.4.2 is likely to drop soon, so we'll see what that brings to the S4.

Once again, I apologise for the lack of communication (and progress), but promise here to make a concerted effort to keep all of you 'in the loop' and to deliver my ultimate vision for Switch - a truly generic, effective, multi-ROM / single-data solution.

If you have ANY questions at all, feel free to contact me on MoDaCo via PM and i'll answer straight away.

Paul

Guest Protosouls

Yea a refund would be great. I've already upgraded to the next thing. It was a good idea but you needed to follow through man... Can't leave a donater in the dark for that long....

Guest Dublinz

I am on GE 4.3 , i would love to have STABLE 4.4 , but hopefully in time it will arrive. I am happy with your work and support that you provide to us...Hopefully you'll find a way to bring us stable rom (GE 4.4) 

Currently running CM 11 nightlies, it's pretty stable never experienced reboots nor FCs, battery is quite good, it's smooth barely any lag. Current issue is Mic doesn't work on VOIP apps like Viber, Skype, SIP.

Would love if Switch would support TW and custom roms such as CM (or any AOSP based) besides GPe.

The main reason i want Switch so bad right now is that it's winter and it would be really nice to use the phone with gloves when i'm out.

Guest PaulOBrien

Just a quick note to say that i'm with family over Christmas, so the next update will be in the new year.

Things are going well, there is an unexpected issue in that AFAIK Xposed doesn't work with ART yet, so ART can't be used with Switch, which is a bit of a pain, but this will hopefully change in the future.

I'm also looking at how I can use work done on Switch to also do a 'hybrid' build, pick the bits you want from each side, more on that when i'm back.

Merry Christmas everyone and have a good break! :)

P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I stopped using Switch switch quite a while ago because of the updates, not so much for the Switch itself but for new Android versions both TW and GPe.

But i find myself coming back to this thread often hoping to find an update but leave disappointed. Mostly because of Paul's promises that he will release something in new years, then a couple weeks ago, and so on... Often when devs give something for free i totally understand if they stop working on it for whatever reason, but the problem is when they ask for money just for the purpose to continue working on particular project and when giving Promises.

Guest Marco Fidanza

I stopped using Switch switch quite a while ago because of the updates, not so much for the Switch itself but for new Android versions both TW and GPe.

But i find myself coming back to this thread often hoping to find an update but leave disappointed. Mostly because of Paul's promises that he will release something in new years, then a couple weeks ago, and so on... Often when devs give something for free i totally understand if they stop working on it for whatever reason, but the problem is when they ask for money just for the purpose to continue working on particular project and when giving Promises.

I'm completely agree, speechless

Guest Marco Fidanza

I'm completely agree, speechless

Guest coolnessQ

I agree too, ALOT of people donated to him, so he got a S4 for FREE!!! And now he is not working on it, also only 2 beta releases still on both TW 4.2.2 and GE 4.2.2, will it ever be updated to both 4.4.2??

Or are you gonna ask for a new phone again?