Beta 2: MoDaCo.SWITCH S4 i9505 support topic

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest maladaptiveone

Hi folks,

Finally got around to install this morning, followed the instructions to the letter.

The touchwiz ROM is working perfectly but whenever I try to switch to the GPe ROM the phone just reboots to the Sammy ROM !

Have tried to reflash part 2 of the ROM but it makes no difference

Any help would be appreciated

Si

Guest angelfother

Morning all

flashed the GPE & switch parts successfully, had to clear prefs for a few apps but everything seems to be working

the one thing I can't find is how to change the settings for the quick settings panel; it doesn't seem to be anywhere :(

am I being really stupid?

also is this an odexed or de-odexed rom?

thanks

Edited by angelfother

Guest RyanBrooks

Morning all

flashed the GPE & switch parts successfully, had to clear prefs for a few apps but everything seems to be working

the one thing I can't find is how to change the settings for the quick settings panel; it doesn't seem to be anywhere :(

thanks

If you use root explorer and go into data/app you can tell if your rom is odexed or not. If you see .odex files next to your apks then you ARE odexed. I believe i saw in previous posts that the rom is deodexed though but i could be wrong. Im still waiting for the download :/ so i cant be sure

Guest angelfother

If you use root explorer and go into data/app you can tell if your rom is odexed or not. If you see .odex files next to your apks then you ARE odexed. I believe i saw in previous posts that the rom is deodexed though but i could be wrong. Im still waiting for the download :/ so i cant be sure

thanks for that info man, I've always been a bit unsure on how to check odex/de-odex status

the lack of .odex files looks very promising, I can now begin loading de-odexed mods :)

Guest RyanBrooks

thanks for that info man, I've always been a bit unsure on how to check odex/de-odex status

the lack of .odex files looks very promising, I can now begin loading de-odexed mods :)

no problem glad i could help

Guest marcotre80
Changelog

23rd August

• Beta 2 release - this has been deployed using the 'SwitchUp' OTA client and resolves an issue with the contacts application.
    22nd August
    • Beta 1 release

21st August

[*]Preview video release!

Hi, excuse me i have paid annually subscription to modaco.

Please is possible to test your modaco switch for i9505 samsung?

Thanks

Guest swa100

Led notifications don't seem to work when I'm in the google play mode. Is it working on your phones guys?

Edit: nvm, found it. It works now

Edited by swa100

Guest Vijay Prabhu

Hi Paul, you are doing a great job and I wish to congratulate you for the same. After you have completed your bugs testing can you mail me the entire tutorial. I want to put it up on comboupdates.com for Indian readers as there is lot of interest in the Indian techie groups about MoDaCo.switch.

Regards

Vijay

Guest tidsoptimist

Hi folks,

Finally got around to install this morning, followed the instructions to the letter.

The touchwiz ROM is working perfectly but whenever I try to switch to the GPe ROM the phone just reboots to the Sammy ROM !

Any help would be appreciated

Si

Got the same problems.

Started out by flashing the recommeded one.

Then flash a recovery (cwm).

Then factory wipe, flash switchzip 1 and 2.

Ending with SuperSU and then reboot.

When trying the Switch nothing happens just reboots into TW again.

Tried doing factory reset and reinstalling the rom as well as the update. No go when Switching, just back to TW =(

Guest rrsmandingo

About MoDaCo.SWITCH

MoDaCo.SWITCH is a unique ROM concept which allows you to have two ROMs on your device (Stock and Google Play Edition) but maintaining a single set of data that is shared between the two.

Switch has been in development for a while now and it is rather complex internally, so we will have a number of Beta phases where we are certain to find (and hopefully fix) any issues. :)

Yes, MoDaCo.SWITCH is in Beta. BETA! BETA! BETA! There may / will be issues and you use the ROM at your own risk. Back up any important data OFF YOUR DEVICE before you start.

Pre-requisites

Switch is tested on a European Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505 that was originally running the PDA: I9505XXUBMGA / I9505OXXBMG3 / I9505XXUBMGA.

NOTE: This ROM is for GSM devices only.

Downloading

• I9505XXUBMGA / I9505OXXBMG3 / I9505XXUBMGA ROM for Odin - DOWNLOAD (HotFile) - MD5:
  • Odin 3.07 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 0bbef4a8c94e1940f1d3a2c0fb40ec3c
  • Beta 1 install zip part 1 - link sent via e-mail to testers - MD5: 4552e86af9b67edec57c074d954c5a72
  • Beta 1 install zip part 2 - link sent via e-mail to testers - MD5: f90c5758237860d1b07e9018fe176d21
  • Optional SuperSU 1.51 root package - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 239d481a3d4504acb4f945e42ad0a7ca

Installation

Switch is installed the same way as any other custom ROM, using a custom recovery - I personally strongly recommend TWRP (flashable via odin). Complete the following steps to install MoDaCo.SWITCH...
    • HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - flash a custom recovery to your device and back up all partitions including EFS. Then store these safely OFF THE DEVICE.
    • Optional but recommended - flash your device to the ROM linked above using Odin
    • Optional if you have a recovery installed but recommended - flash your device with TWRP using Odin
    • Copy the required zip files to /sdcard on your device
    • Power off your device by holding down the power button until it turns off
    • Enter recovery by pressing the power button while holding the volume up button
    • Select the recovery image's option to wipe data (hightly recommended)
    • Select the recovery image's option to install zip and select the SWITCH part 1 zip
    • Select the recovery image's option to install zip and select the SWITCH part 2 zip
    • Select the recovery image's option to install zip and select the root zip (if required)
    • Select the recovery image's option to reboot (important: if prompted to fix root select 'Do Not Fix')

A wipe before installing is very highly recommended at the Beta stage. Do NOT wipe AFTER installing. It'll break stuff. ;)

Please note that after installing, the initial boot will take a while as currently (to aid fixes) the ROM is not odexed. This affects the initial boot time and uses some additional space on /data, but is not reflective of the post Beta release.

After you have installed and booted, you should complete the setup wizard. Next, run Switch from the app drawer to do an initial switch to the Google Play edition. You will then be taken through the Google setup wizard - you must complete these - do not exit out! After completing this wizard, you can switch back to Stock if desired and you're ready to go!

After installation you should use the 'SwitchUp' application to check for any OTA updates.

Root access

The Switch ROM is provided unrooted for ultimate compatibility! If you wish to have root access, flash the Switch root package above after flashing the ROM itself.

Beta notes

One feature that is currently still being tested is a telephony / MMS database compatibility layer for the ROM. While this is being refined, note that the telephony and MMS databases are siloed to their ROM. Again, this will change before the final release.

Maintaining ROM specific data

Although data is maintained between ROM switches, there are instances where you might not want this to be the case. For a launcher for example, you might want to maintain different setups for each ROM - I do this with Nova. To facilitate this, you simply need to add an exclusion file. This will be managed through the Switch app in the future, but for now simply find the package name for the app (it can be seen in the URL of the app at the Play Store - for example Nova Launcher is com.teslacoilsw.launcher) - and via ADB issue the following commands:

adb shell touch /data/SWITCH/exclude/com.teslacoilsw.launcher

Easy eh? To remove the exclusion, simply delete the file you just created.

Known issues

I'll update this list as testing proceeds, but the current known issues are as follows (all scheduled to be resolved for a future Beta):

[*]MMS / Call Log data is not shared between the ROMs (fix in testing)

And finally

This ROM includes parts of MakTaiL's 'untouched' S4 ROM, used with permission. Many thanks!

Hi, could you send me the links to download Modaco for S4??

Guest minhthai17

I have an M-919 too and everything is working except wifi. Tried the wifi fix but it failed every time.

Same here buddy. Everything work perfectly, except WiFi in TW. I'm using M919 too. Failed every time try to flash the WiFi fix.

Guest PaulOBrien

You didn't wipe after flashing did you? What version of the S4 do you have?

thanks

In the GPe ROM or TW? In stock GPe you can't change the quick settings panel!

It is deodexed.

P

Guest maladaptiveone

Hi Paul,

No I didn't wipe after flashing, I initially tried a dirty flash over a pre rooted factory ROM but when that didn't work I wiped and started afresh.

My phone is an unlocked UK i9505 int.

Si

Guest Paul Smedley

Triangle away it's your friend for reset status and number flash, no?

Except that requires root, and that is not allowed by my corporate email :( ALthough maybe I could root the google edition and leave stock as non-root

Guest tidsoptimist

Hi Paul,

No I didn't wipe after flashing, I initially tried a dirty flash over a pre rooted factory ROM but when that didn't work I wiped and started afresh.

My phone is an unlocked UK i9505 int.

Si

Got the same version (unlocked i9505 int, though mine is swedish) and followed the same route as well. =)