[JB] [4.3.1] CyanogenMod 10.2 [ROM] [Project complete] <<<Get Dazzozo a device>>>

Guest intensedarkness

Guest intensedarkness

WAIT! Now that you're here, spend a few moments having a read of this!

- Feel like your Y300 should perform a lot better?
- Feel like your Y300 should not be limited by Huawei's usual poor custom implementation of Android?
- Feel like you should be able to enjoy having the latest Android version (4.3/4.4) and a custom recovery on your device?

The proposal is simple:

• Just 20 of us contribute £2.99 (or even less) each, as a donation to a willing developer
  • The developer buys a Y300 phone, after 20 people have contributed a total of around £60~£65ish between us (depending on market price @ date of target hit)
  • If the target is not reached by 31st October 2013, all the contributors get their money back (as long as you specify 'Y300 Purchase' under the 'Steam ID and message (optional)' section when donating via PayPal, which shows up after signing in.)
  • The developer does his/her best to make your Y300 perform better, by porting CM/AOSP
  • You reap the rewards of having a rooted, customisable, up to date version of Android on your phone

"Why should I do this?", you ask.

• It's only £2.99, worth a try, plus you get your money back if enough money to buy a Y300 is not raised.
  • A phone with a variety of reliable custom ROMs is generally more popular and likely to have a higher resale value
  • The Y300 is an excellent value for money phone, but could perform a lot better without Huawei's bloatware, with a smaller footprint
  • Even if you don't own a Y300 (yet), Y300 development can seriously help G300 development, by illustrating how stock JB firmware works on an almost identical chipset, increasing the likelyhood of a developer being able to fix certain 'under the hood' issues (ION, OMX)

"But the Y300 already has developers!", you say.

• It's only £2.99, worth a try, plus you get your money back if enough money to buy a Y300 is not raised.
  • Although there are a couple of respectable developers already working on this device, having another member of the team on board will undoubtedly lighten the workload
  • The developer I have in mind is likely to eventually bring more to the table in terms of CM10/10.1/10.2 nightlies, OTAs, CWM recovery

"Which developer are you proposing?" You ask.

"Okay, I'm convinced, where do I donate?" You say.
http://donate.thebronasium.com/

"Why not make this into a crowd funded campaign?" You ask.

• Because it's a small amount
  • Donations, not a conventional investment opportunity, ie. no equities will be issued
  • The hassle required to set it all up

And guys, remember, it's only £2.99, worth a try. As I said above, having better custom ROMs is likely to increase the resale value anyway.
Things which cost £2.99 or less:

• A Subway Mega Melt Breakfast Sub
  • Most other items on the Subway breakfast menu
  • Other things at Subway
  • Other things in other shops

The point being, replace one instance of spending on a consumable with contributing to something that will last longer than the morning after.

And remember, if the target is not reached by 31st October 2013, all the contributors get their money back (as long as you specify 'Y300 Purchase' under the 'Steam ID and message (optional)' section when donating via PayPal, which shows up after signing in.)

http://donate.thebronasium.com

And finally... "All these rhetorical questions and quotes make this sound like some ridiculous marketing campaign"
Yes, they do.

Let's see what everyone thinks of this idea...

UPDATE:

Good news everyone! We've exceeded the target!

This proposal was initially posted on the 26.09.2013. There were 11 unique donators, one of which donated the proposed amount twice, and another of which generously donated over half the amount raised in the end (~£70). Given the rate of your kind donations, it was likely that the October 31st deadline would have been achievable even without such generosity from one individual, but this is the reason the target was hit after just 6 days at 23:00 on 02.10.2013 - significantly earlier than previously expected.

Dazzozo has received a new white Huawei Y300 handset from Carphone Warehouse, and development has begun! Currently, any unresolved issues with the Y300 are being investigated, in order to lay the foundations for creating reliable ROMs. So far most issues have been resolved, as Dazzozo has spent 2 weeks furiously working away with the device, frequently staying up throughout the night - a highly commendable effort.

18/10/2013 17:00 - NIGHTLIES HAVE ARRIVED.
DOWNLOAD:
http://www.modaco.com/topic/365931-jb-431-cyanogenmod-102-rom-all-nightly-builds-available/

Flash updated CWM zip, then wipe / factory reset. Also format system from mounts and storage.

Known Y300 issues:
Video artifacts in YouTube and TVCatchup ads

Known G510 issues:
Above issues
Display frame buffer
Compass not functional
Dual mic not functional

Credit to everyone who has supported the cause so far.
If you donated, feel free to post that you did!

It just goes to show what can be acheived with a little cooperation, and a clear common objective.

If you feel that this campaign has been beneficial, click the green arrow that appears beneath this post.

post-995493-0-10955400-1382103521_thumb.

Edited by intensedarkness

Guest intensedarkness

Now, patience will be required during the development phase. But until then, get your official bootloader unlock codes, to minimise potential bugs when using custom ROMs:

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/servicePolicy.do?method=preUnlock

George109 has an excellent tutorial for G300 bootloader unlocking, most of which should apply to the Y300 aswell:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/362821-tutorial-how-to-officially-unlock-the-bootloader-with-definitions-relock-guide-included/

Guest TangerineTractor

Have you even asked Daz if he wants to get involved? He got plenty of grief doing the G300, and some of the people on here are even more demanding, less understanding and less patient.

The guys developing CM on the Y300 are pretty good, and they will ask others for assitance as and where posisble. I have a G300 running CM, and it's good, but not perfect. I think you guys all need to get real - this is a budget phone with relatively low spec hardware. Stock and CM10 run pretty well on it for the price. All this "make it like a Nexus" is, quite frankly, stupid. Accept that you've got a cheap device and the devs out there are doing a great job, but it isn't going to get much better than it is now.

Edited by TangerineTractor

Have you even asked Daz if he wants to get involved? He got plenty of grief doing the G300, and some of the people on here are even more demanding, less understanding and less patient. The guys developing CM on the Y300 are pretty good, and they will ask others for assitance as and where posisble. I have a G300 running CM, and it's good, but not perfect. I think you guys all need to get real - this is a budget phone with relatively low spec hardware. Stock and CM10 run pretty well on it for the price. All this "make it like a Nexus" is, quite frankly, stupid. Accept that you've got a cheap device and the devs out there are doing a great job, but it isn't going to get much better than it is now.
Sorry but i dont agree, i have a galaxy s i9000 and cyano 10 and 10.1 are perfect and spectacular and it has single core... Edited by fonz93

Guest intensedarkness

@ TangerineTractor

Obviously I have asked him, he's up for it if the target is hit, if not he doesn't mind hitting the refund button a few times.

The guys developing CM on the Y300 are good, but this is not about whether or not they are good. It is more about if people want a faster rate of development, which Daz could bring.

Thanks for your comments, but please don't go round telling people that hoping for something is stupid. If everyone thought like that there wouldn't have been Android on budget phones in the first place. Btw I did mention 'perform more like a Galaxy Nexus', not 'make it like a nexus'.

Let's not make this into an issue. If you're not interested, no worries.

Interested to see what other people think.

Guest intensedarkness

LOL that was not part of my original proposal but it sounds like a good idea.

Btw even if it's a small amount, like £1, its a start. Will try and get a running total going as well.

Guest MadHatterRyu

umm, not trying to discourage anybody here.. but you guys dont really get what Tangerine said... I kind of see it from his perspective.. I love the device and all but it ISNT a Nexus.. the reason anyone would want Ubuntu on.. is either for show n tell.. or for productivity... productivity I ASSURE YOU that your Adreno 203 and 2 A7s are NOT upto.. Ubuntu is meant to be a one device every task OS.. ie. doubling up as a PC too..

in other words we're better off on Droid... for which, I think the current devs are actually doing a really really good job of o_o..

if you REALLY wanna play around.. SPECIALLY with Ubuntu, you'll need a better device.. to FULLY take advantage.. you'll need to wait for NEXT years devices (Tegra 5 FTW!!) ^_^;; which I intend to do as soon as Im done with my dumb internship life and start earning

Edit: and yes : |

and some of the people on here are even more demanding, less understanding and less patient.

Touche : |

Edited by MadHatterRyu

How many devs are working from source code on this device already?

If I wasn't hilariously skint I'd donate again just for the benefits it might bring to g300. They could share the same device tree ffs. They're that similar. Nobody has a deeper understanding of the source than daz afaik. The only thing he hasn't done is offer to buy one out of his own pocket for you.

This isn't about ubuntu or Firefox os. They're just examples. It's not about cm either. It's about getting the latest iteration of Google/AOSP goodness on your phone shortly after the source is released..but nobody here wants that...right?

Guest intensedarkness

@ MadHatterRyu

Thanks for your comments, appreciate the feedback. As this is clearly an unusual proposition of donate first, development later, it is interesting to see different perspectives. Firstly, I would like to say that I fully agree with you that the Y300 is NOT a Nexus. As I own a Nexus 4, a Y300, and a G300, I firmly agree that the Y300 could never have N4 level of performance.

Which is why I put 'perform more like a Galaxy Nexus'. I could have put 'perform more like any other, faster phone, e.g. a Galaxy Nexus. Not exactly like it in terms of performance, but more like it'. But I thought that would have been a little too much unnecessary detail. Apparently not.

It is interesting, however, that you are the second person to make that distinction, so I will remove 'Nexus' from the post, just to avoid further confusion. :)

@ tcpaulh

As usual, you hit the nail right on the head. The G300 and the Y300 are SO similar, that both could benefit from the development of the other, in the hands of the same developer, if he had one.

And yes, those are simply examples, which is why they're 6th and 7th of that list of links. It is about getting the most out of the Y300, whether that is performance boost on the same Android version with everything fixed, or the latest iteration of Android even if it is just for fun.

@ Everyone

This is about getting the Y300 into the hands of yet another developer who can make a difference to your Y300. If people donated first to get their devices into the hands of capable developers, wouldn't there be a hell of a lot more/better/faster development? Of course there would. All I am proposing here is donate first, then reap the rewards, instead of reap the rewards first and think about donating or not.

Finally, remember guys, it's only £2.99, and if we don't hit the target, it's a no go and you get it back.

Guest TangerineTractor

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more development. But this forum is full of people not reading threads, posting the same messages, asking when a rom is going to be made better.... it's just really frustrating when you're monitoring for useful developments and threads are full of pointless posts.

Guest bogdanwp

I will share my opinion here from my not-expert-point-of-view. This device CAN run better and i say this from pure experience on Galaxy Gio. That was a damn CRAPPY device that managed through time to run just about anything you could throw at it. We had CM 7/9/10 , AOKP , AOSP , PAC , LeWa , MiUi and believe me when i tell you some of that roms ran better on that crappy phone then they run on this one. I don`t know the internals of Android , but just look at this logic . How do you explain that ?

Guest MadHatterRyu

@bogdanwp

it isnt about quality of the experience but the quantity side... ultimately, you are STILL running the same stuff! EVEN if Droid gets a major OS overhaul (which I doubt).. 2.3 - 4.0 is a SIGNIFICANT but not BIG upgrade in terms of functionality... but howmuch more functional has droid gotten since then? negligible... howmuch more functional can you expect THIS device to be? video encoding? picture editing? or anything related to productivity you use your PC for? NO.. thats what Ubuntu stands for.. and pretty certain Droid will too.. as soon as some GOOD productivity apps come onboard since there are already notebooks with Droid on with FANTASTIC hardware..

Now EVEN if we manage to port all that to our phone... WHAT can we do with it without the latent firepower? an A15 is pretty powerful.. but our A5? no... Atom processors that tried to run windows.. they COULDNT.. till Baytrail.. which will start having hiccups soon... yes, Linux is lighter but the smooth navigation aside, EVEN on an updated OS, you cant do anymore than you're already doing on the current droid..

p.s.2. not that I'm against the idea of another dev.. just to say you guys shouldnt expect the moon on this device.. you probably wouldnt even make it to the clouds..

not trying to discourage any body here.. but you guys dont really get what Tangerine said... I kind of see it from his perspective.. I love the device and all but it ISNT a Nexus.. the reason anyone would want Ubuntu on.. is either for show n tell.. or for productivity... productivity I ASSURE YOU that your Adreno 203 and 2 A7s are NOT upto.. Ubuntu is meant to be a one device every task OS.. ie. doubling up as a PC too..

in other words we're better off on Droid... for which, I think the current devs are actually doing a really really good job of o_o..

if you REALLY wanna play around.. SPECIALLY with Ubuntu, you'll need a better device.. to FULLY take advantage.. you'll need to wait for NEXT years devices (Tegra 5 FTW!!) ^_^;; which I intend to do as soon as Im done with my dumb internship life and start earning

Edit: and yes : |

Touche : |

I really advice you to read & educate you self before posting bulshits!

First of all it's not the Cortex A7 that's integrated in this soc it's Cortex A5;

Second things it its actually luck that GPU is Adreno 203 (this is actually the same Adreno 200 enhanced) because of usable open source drivers (freedreno) that are even merged in mesa git.

Official min CPU spec for Ubuntu unity touch is dual core 1GHz bat it even works with one Cortex A5 CPU at one GHz with a little help from developers like Dazzozo:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/360949-dev-ubuntu-touch-rom/

The real benefits from using fully grown & optimized Linux distos are numerous hire are some: C++ compiled code runs around 50x faster then emulated java scripts on android (not to mention memory usage gains), most of ever written code is actually C++; getting rid of Google flinger will most definitely bring performance gains, usage of the last available Linux kernel with all benefits that he is carrying...

Its plane stupid talking about something that is still in development like Phone Ubuntu touch bat I really want this to became near future standard!

Finally for the money that it costs the Y300 is really good for usage purpose like development board mainly thanks to Rob Clark, it has a humble Hardware specs bat compared to a Raspberry Pi it's a space ship & developers are making wonders with Raspberry Pi!

Guest bogdanwp

Well the point is , we shouldn`t argue on this topic , that is not it`s point. So i will remove myself from the discussion but will keep checking the progress. Good luck and stay united.

Guest intensedarkness

@ bogdanwp

Interested in joining the cause by making a donation? Remember, if the target is not hit you get your money back...

Stop bitching about none related stuff, we all know daz and we all know he is really an expert in developing and he can bring cool stuff to this device no doubt up to here, and now he wants to do us a favor and develop for our device, but he cant go that far and buy the device on his own, so if u want this great dev here just insert a coin either way u r not helping , and am sure other developers would be happy to see another cool developer is in to help developing, cuz we have seen how they helped each other in making cm ports, and if it wasnt a group work we wouldnt have a daily cm build yet, i live in iran and paypal ain't working here so unfortunately cant donate, either way i would !!

Guest eloimuns

Stop bitching about none related stuff, we all know daz and we all know he is really an expert in developing and he can bring cool stuff to this device no doubt up to here, and now he wants to do us a favor and develop for our device, but he cant go that far and buy the device on his own, so if u want this great dev here just insert a coin either way u r not helping , and am sure other developers would be happy to see another cool developer is in to help developing, cuz we have seen how they helped each other in making cm ports, and if it wasnt a group work we wouldnt have a daily cm build yet, i live in iran and paypal ain't working here so unfortunately cant donate, either way i would !!

What is your problem with CM now? R4 works very very well... :/