[MOD] Toggle 2G + 3G In [STOCK] ROMs [No Root Needed] [No Recovery Required]

Guest george109

Guest george109

I have found a way that you can toogle 2G and 3G, and even have the G300 locked on to 3G (Like on a CM ROM) on Stock ROMs.

You do not even need to be rooted for this! :D

Tested On: AtomicMod (B888). 

:excl:If The G300 Is Locked To 3G, And You Leave a 3G Area (So You Have No 3G Signal) Your Phone Will Be Unavailable Until You Revert To 2G Manually Or Enter A 3G Area!  :excl: 

:excl: Battery life is shorter when the G300 is locked to 3G! Especially if the 3G signal is very weak! :excl:

Disclaimer: Some Carriers charge for extra data usage or 3G. Please check your tariff or contract before you do this. If you get a massive data bill, please do not moan to me about it!

Method 1 - The Easy Way

1. Download Pimp My ROM from the play store

2. Run It (Obviously!)

3. Go to the Tools Tab

4. Scroll To the Bottom

5. Tap

Device Hidden Menu

6. Press

Access Hidden Menu

7. Tap:

Phone Information

8. Scroll down until you see

Set preferred network type

9. Press it! :P

10. Set it to your preferred mode.

Method 2

1. Go into the dialer

2. Dial

#*#4636#*#*

3. Tap:

Phone Information

4. Scroll down until you see:

Set preferred network type

5. Press it! :P

6. Set it to your preferred mode.

If you do not know what these are, then here are some meanings:

WCDMA Preferred - This is 2G/3G. The G300 will try to switch to 3G networks wherever possible, and the signal is good. This is the default option.

GSM Only - This uses 2G networks only. It is like ticking 

Use 2G Networks Only

in settings.

WCDMA Only - This will lock the phone to 3G. It will not switch back to 2G networks.

GSM Auto (PRL) - This will prefer to use EDGE (A Faster version of 2G)

Undoing the Changes (Quick Way)

Go into settings, Press more under Wireless Networks. Then go to Mobile Networks. (In Gingerbread Click Network Settings) and then check the Use 2G Networks option. If you want to go back to the 2G/3G mode, then uncheck it. Your changes are reverted.

This is a bit of a long process, but it works, and you do not need any mods, a custom recovery or even root permissions.

If this helped you, then please press the button, in the bottom right hand corner of this post.

Thanks

George :)

Edited by george109

Guest george109

No need to install any app, just open phone dialer and dial this

#*#4636#*#*

PS. 4636 = INFO

Thanks for the tip, but I already know about 4636, but I thought it would be easier for people to use the app instead of the 4636.

Edit: Added it anyway.

Edited by george109

Guest dalyer

I don't get the rationale for this mod - I thought that all ROMs had the option in settings to choose 2G only or (implicitly if deselected) 2G or 3G whichever is available?

Guest george109

I don't get the rationale for this mod - I thought that all ROMs had the option in settings to choose 2G only or (implicitly if deselected) 2G or 3G whichever is available?

That 2G/3G option is only available on CyanogenMod/Slim ROMs - Stock (and I *think* Stock Based) ROMs do not have this option, they only have the option to use 2G only, and not 3G only.

So, if you are using data, and like me, you do not have a very good 3G/HSPA Signal where I live, I lock it on to 3G, when I download apps/browse the web, as when it switches back to 2G, Games and the play store are unusable, as the connections time out, or it "Cannot connect to server", and web browsing is Really Slow! (I think that is just because I have no patience! :P)

Edited by george109

Guest dalyer

Ah - OK - so the key thing here is the "Use 3G only" option? Sorry - I didn't get that from the thread so far...  :blush:

FWIW Stock+ (stock ICS based) and superslim (stock GB based) both have the "Use 2G only" option.