How to root your Hudl [updated: latest supported ROM 20131016.200812]

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Tigerlight

Yeah, I did not manage to replace it with english su, but to be honest I did not try hard because it enables me to do whatever I wanted now, like freezing the shizz out of the bloat :)

UPDATE: installed superuser app from chainfire which replaced the Chinese su successfully. Purrfect :-)

Yeah, I managed to get the SuperSU binary installed after much patience and about a thousand attempts.

Very happy now.

Guest Grumpydev

Looks like the rkflashtool in the zip is x64, just gives me "cannot execute binary file" when I try and run it on my x86 linux box .. doh! :)

Guest glossywhite

Looks like the rkflashtool in the zip is x64, just gives me "cannot execute binary file" when I try and run it on my x86 linux box .. doh! :)

Yup, it is - just checked, thanks:

matt@i3-550 ~/Desktop/hudl.system.withsu.20130923.020558 $ file *
flashsystem.hudl.sh: ASCII text
rkflashtool:         ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=0x9f85b75e12034160e97bb498bae98c143b327740, stripped
system.img:          Linux rev 1.0 ext3 filesystem data, UUID=e6f13406-b87d-45b1-b9f1-0a82d2ca55ca, volume name "system"

Guest menace1944

Yeah, I managed to get the SuperSU binary installed after much patience and about a thousand attempts.

Very happy now.

How? :-)

I had been trying to get Chainfire SuperSU to install and remain installed instead of the Chinese version since I used the method in http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2376077 on Tuesday.  At long last, and several re-runs of the rooting software I seem to have succeeded.  The way I finally did it was:-

Root using XDA described method.

Disconnect USB cable

Install Chainfire SuperSU from Google Play

Give SuperSU root access from Chinese superuser (click right button in dialog box)

Open SuperSU and update it

Close SuperSU

Reset the hudl using a pin in the reset hole

Restart hudl which is rooted and running SuperSU

Under Settings | Apps | All, the Chinese superuser app has disappeared and only SuperSU was shown

Don't understand why the pin reset was necessary rather than a reboot/restart but am delighted that it is now working and survives reboot/restarting without the Chinese app reappearing.

The XDA method was the second rooting method I tried based on the hope that the hudl would behave like any current Archos tablet.

Dennis

Guest TescoHudl

Does rooting the Hudl using this method delete user data, such as apps and music? Sorry about asking such a dumb question but i really need to know the answer before rooting my device!

Guest Grumpydev

I had been trying to get Chainfire SuperSU to install and remain installed instead of the Chinese version since I used the method in http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2376077 on Tuesday.  At long last, and several re-runs of the rooting software I seem to have succeeded.  The way I finally did it was:-

Root using XDA described method.

Disconnect USB cable

Install Chainfire SuperSU from Google Play

Give SuperSU root access from Chinese superuser (click right button in dialog box)

Open SuperSU and update it

Close SuperSU

Reset the hudl using a pin in the reset hole

Restart hudl which is rooted and running SuperSU

Under Settings | Apps | All, the Chinese superuser app has disappeared and only SuperSU was shown

Don't understand why the pin reset was necessary rather than a reboot/restart but am delighted that it is now working and survives reboot/restarting without the Chinese app reappearing.

The XDA method was the second rooting method I tried based on the hope that the hudl would behave like any current Archos tablet.

Dennis

This method worked a treat for me.. I already had supersu installed, and when I rebooted it gave me a half chinese/half english prompt, clicked the right hand button then launched super su. Super told me su needed updating, chose the "normal" method and said yes to uninstalling others. Pressed the reset button once it had finished (not sure if this is necessary, but did it anyway) and root installed with no sign of the chinese one :)

Guest menace1944

Does rooting the Hudl using this method delete user data, such as apps and music? Sorry about asking such a dumb question but i really need to know the answer before rooting my device!

No, everything is still there.  The only side effect was that disabled app (Chrome) was re-enabled due to the reset.  I can't use Chrome as I need Flash working so have switched to Firefox

Dennis

Guest menace1944

This method worked a treat for me.. I already had supersu installed, and when I rebooted it gave me a half chinese/half english prompt, clicked the right hand button then launched super su. Super told me su needed updating, chose the "normal" method and said yes to uninstalling others. Pressed the reset button once it had finished (not sure if this is necessary, but did it anyway) and root installed with no sign of the chinese one :)

Pleased it worked for you.  I am not sure if the reset is essential but with all my previous attempts using reboot / restart either I got the half Chinese / half English prompt returning after subsequent reboot or root was lost and couldn't be recovered without uninstalling SuperSU and running the whole rooting process from the beginning.

Guest jamesglanville

Awesome, this worked for me (the first post in the thread method). I needed root so I could read usb ntfs flash drives, so this has been incredibly helpful. I don't actually know if usb host functionality on the hudl is advertised, but it works nicely with usb drives/mice/keyboards/xbox 360 gamepads, so that's cool. I've ordered a 64gb micro sd card, which I think will actually work though it's over the advertised limit, if anyone is interested I'll post if it works/doesn't.

Guest darknessss

Awesome, this worked for me (the first post in the thread method). I needed root so I could read usb ntfs flash drives, so this has been incredibly helpful. I don't actually know if usb host functionality on the hudl is advertised, but it works nicely with usb drives/mice/keyboards/xbox 360 gamepads, so that's cool. I've ordered a 64gb micro sd card, which I think will actually work though it's over the advertised limit, if anyone is interested I'll post if it works/doesn't.

Yes please, let us know if it does or doesn't work!

Guest TescoHudl

No, everything is still there.  The only side effect was that disabled app (Chrome) was re-enabled due to the reset.  I can't use Chrome as I need Flash working so have switched to Firefox

Dennis

Wow, that's a surprise. When i rooted my Nexus 7, all the data was deleted, so this is excellent news! Rooting my Hudl right now; i will let everyone know if the process went okay.

Guest TescoHudl

I don't understand how to do this! 

I've navigated to the extracted folder inside the terminal, and then typed: 'sudo bash sh flashroot.hudl.linux.sh'. It tells me that it cannot execute the binary file or something like that.

When the Hudl is switched off, in flashing mode, there are no signs in Ubuntu at all that the device has been recognised whatsoever. The files on the device show up in Ubuntu when powered on, however. I'm wondering if this is what's causing the problem? 

I'm quite inexperienced using the terminal in Linux. It took me a good hour just to work out how to navigate to the extracted folder. :(

Please, someone help! Cheers!

Guest glossywhite

I don't understand how to do this! 

I've navigated to the extracted folder inside the terminal, and then typed: 'sudo bash sh flashroot.hudl.linux.sh'. It tells me that it cannot execute the binary file or something like that.

When the Hudl is switched off, in flashing mode, there are no signs in Ubuntu at all that the device has been recognised whatsoever. The files on the device show up in Ubuntu when powered on, however. I'm wondering if this is what's causing the problem? 

I'm quite inexperienced using the terminal in Linux. It took me a good hour just to work out how to navigate to the extracted folder. :(

Please, someone help! Cheers!

I can highly recommend a YouTube channel - "The urban penguin", and this video will give you a good start for bash commands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptk6A-UEjWM

Then come back in a few hours, days or weeks - depending on how confident you feel.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Grumpydev

If it's saying "cannot execute binary file" then that's Linux speak for "I don't understand how to run that" and it probably means: "you're trying to run an x64 binary on an x86 install".

Guest TescoHudl

If it's saying "cannot execute binary file" then that's Linux speak for "I don't understand how to run that" and it probably means: "you're trying to run an x64 binary on an x86 install".

Hmm... My computer is a 64 bit machine, and my Ubuntu 13.04 is also the correct 64 bit version. It can't be anything to do with that?

I'm a bit unsure on this but perhaps the problem is being caused by running Ubuntu from a USB stick, or something like that. It's really difficult for me to do this root because the persistence on the USB doesn't seem to work; so every time shut down the computer i have to copy the files back over to the Ubuntu USB when i switch back on again.

Is it okay if the Hudl doesn't show up in the file explorer, while in flashing mode? I can't help feeling that might have something do with it also. 

And, do i need the Android SDK installed?

Someone really needs to make a tutorial to make this whole process a heck of a lot easier! For people like me who have little experience with Linux, this root is a complete nightmare... :(

Hmm... My computer is a 64 bit machine, and my Ubuntu 13.04 is also the correct 64 bit version. It can't be anything to do with that?

I'm a bit unsure on this but perhaps the problem is being caused by running Ubuntu from a USB stick, or something like that. It's really difficult for me to do this root because the persistence on the USB doesn't seem to work; so every time shut down the computer i have to copy the files back over to the Ubuntu USB when i switch back on again.

Is it okay if the Hudl doesn't show up in the file explorer, while in flashing mode? I can't help feeling that might have something do with it also. 

Someone really needs to make a tutorial to make this whole process a heck of a lot easier! For people like me who have little experience with Linux, this root is a complete nightmare... :(

There was a dodgy Chinese program mentioned, that works. (seems dodgy, though :P)

Guest jamesglanville

I rooted my hudl from a liveusb (didn't work in virtualbox :s), you should be able to copy the files to the root of the usb stick from windows (i assume?), then you can find them from linux once booted in /cdrom/. 

The hudl won't show up in the file explorer when in flashing mode, that's expected (it's not behaving as a mass storage/mtp device, just a weird recovery device)

You don't need anything installed, the zip was enough for me with a recent version of ubuntu.

EDIT:

also "sudo bash sh flashroot.hudl.linux.sh" is weird, it should just be:

sudo bash flashroot.hudl.linux.sh    (the extra sh won't do anything at best, and will stop it working at worst)

OR

chmod +x flashroot.hudl.linux.sh   (makes the script file executable)

sudo ./flashroot.hudl.linux.sh        (executes it)

Edited by jamesglanville

Guest TescoHudl

I rooted my hudl from a liveusb (didn't work in virtualbox :s), you should be able to copy the files to the root of the usb stick from windows (i assume?), then you can find them from linux once booted in /cdrom/. 

The hudl won't show up in the file explorer when in flashing mode, that's expected (it's not behaving as a mass storage/mtp device, just a weird recovery device)

You don't need anything installed, the zip was enough for me with a recent version of ubuntu.

Thank you for your helpful response. I also attempted to do the root in Virtualbox, but i had a right game trying to get the USB devices to work. In the end, i gave up because i wasn't getting anywhere with it. I correctly followed tutorials showing how to enable the USB's, but i got stuck at the part where you had to add the user account to some special group in the settings.

The information you gave me about copying the files to the root of the memory card is very useful, i didn't realise it was possible to browse the contents of the live USB while actually inside the operating system. That advice will be very useful to me.

Trying the root again now, hopefully it will work. If not, i will post some screenshots to show the issue i am getting. :)

Guest TescoHudl

I've seen the extra bit you added on your comment James, about the command i was using.

Inside the terminal, i would like to navigate to:

/cdrom/hudl

How would i type this? I've tried everything but i keep getting random errors telling me there is no such directory.

Edited by TescoHudl

Guest Grumpydev

I don't know what live cd you're using, but it's probably in /cdrom or /mnt/cdrom (case sensitive) - if you type "cd /" then "ls" you can see the name of the files/folders there, then "cd foldername" move into it, then "ls" again until you find what you're looking for.