Modified SystemUI without Tesco button

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest TescoHudl

Hi, I had this issue the first time I tried to adb too. When you type su it's supposed to give you a different command prompt, but I just got blank lines like you did, and it turned out to be because adb hadn't been authorised for root access (by the SuperSU app). Did you check the Hudl's screen at this point in case there was a pop-up? In my case the problem seemed to be because I was using a secondary user account, so I didn't get a pop-up from SuperSU, but when I tried again as the primary user it worked (and once I'd done that, the next time as the secondary user worked too).

It's funny you should mention that, about the SuperSU popup on the screen, because that's exactly what i was thinking after i had posted on here. I tried the process again, and sure enough, it came up with a permissions request. I accepted, and everything went fine. No more Tesco button! :D

have deleted the ROMaster Composite ADB Interface entry, and now getting "hudl" and "Unknown device"  like tescohudl was....

WHen i select Android device from the list of device types for which to choose a driver for, it says there are none compatible.

ANyone able to point me in the right direction for the right drivers?

Edit:

Uninstalled both, disconnected and reconnected - drivers for "hudl" installed, but for "hudl" they didn't install.

I now have one hudl under Portable devices (mtp device), and another under "other devices" which isn't installed correctly. WHen i try to update drivers, there isn't a compatible one, so looks liek i'm still in the same place.

Will need to try and dig out drivers from elsewhwere.....

Edited by QLF

Guest TescoHudl

have deleted the ROMaster Composite ADB Interface entry, and now getting "hudl" and "Unknown device"  like tescohudl was....

WHen i select Android device from the list of device types for which to choose a driver for, it says there are none compatible.

ANyone able to point me in the right direction for the right drivers?

Edit:

Uninstalled both, disconnected and reconnected - drivers for "hudl" installed, but for "hudl" they didn't install.

I now have one hudl under Portable devices (mtp device), and another under "other devices" which isn't installed correctly. WHen i try to update drivers, there isn't a compatible one, so looks liek i'm still in the same place.

Will need to try and dig out drivers from elsewhwere.....

1. Right click the device which hasn't installed properly.

2. Click 'Update driver software'.

3. Now click 'Browse my computer for driver software'.

4. Finally, click 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.

In this menu, i think you are looking for one called 'Android' or something. Inside there is a driver called 'Android composite ADB interface'. If it isn't inside Android, have a look around in the other sections, it should be there somewhere. If you can't find it, i suggest uploading a screenshot so we can have a look.

I'm basically repeating what Jazman has already said!

I take it you do actually have ADB set up on your computer, right?

Edited by TescoHudl

lol - yes. I do have adb setup. See the screenshot below - I have followed all the steps, but the driver seems to be missing for some reason, so not available from the android list - off to google a link to download it again, but would be useful to have the exact name if someone can provide?

post-797054-0-23360600-1381682220_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, after rebulding my hudl to v1.3, obtaining root, can some nice chap please explain what was changed in the SystemUI.apk so that I can mirror those changes on my v1.3 version?

(No longer a requirement due to using "full!screen" app.)

Edited by Guest

Not quite sure what you are asking - are you asking if you can used the original modified systemUI.apk with the updated HUD i.e. after the v1.3 update etc etc? (sorry of course you were doh!)

Well that all depends on whether that file was changed by said update/ROM version compared to the original and if any updates / bug fixes were added to it. I'm currently having a look at that hence my questionn above aimed at people that do this stuff all the time - for me its currently working it's way up my list of things to do.

Edited by Guest

What I have found in my rebuild is if you have disabled all the Tesco apps anyway the soft button doesn't do anything anyway - that was the tescolauncher app from memory.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, after a lot of other life stuff happening, I've had some time to look at this for v1.3 builds. Looks like the SystemUI.apk wasn't replaced/patched etc in the v1.3 build, therefore Paul's original v1.0 SystemUI.apk should work on our v1.3 builds and remove the [T] button.

Currently testing this theory..................... :ninja:

• 3 months later...
Guest MarkWilson

Thanks for the step by step guide Paul - great to see the [T] button gone from my Hudl (mine was also JDQ39.20131016.200812)  I was a bit silly though, and didn't back up the SystemUI.apk file before overwriting... does anyone know where I can reliably download the stock Tesco firmware (or can someone please share with me the original SystemUI.apk)?

Thanks, Mark

• 8 months later...
Guest MarkWilson

Belated thanks to GreyRider for the reply to my question back in March!

My Hudl has been nagging me to install an update for a few months now... wondering whether to go ahead (and then whether I can safely use the SystemUI.apk)

Belated thanks to GreyRider for the reply to my question back in March!

My Hudl has been nagging me to install an update for a few months now... wondering whether to go ahead (and then whether I can safely use the SystemUI.apk)

What build version are you on currently (settings > about tablet)? When the hudl update 1.3.1 update was released (build no. JDQ39.20140424.153851) I compared the updated SystemUI.apk to the original that I modified and there were no changes. As such, I've been using the modified SystemUI.apk on this build with zero problems.

If you're currently on the 20131016.200812 build then the update is likely to be the 1.3.1 update. If you're currently on the 20140424.153851 build (which I believe is the latest) and you're receiving an update I would be keen to know!

To update, I would put the original SystemUI.apk back, then once updated replace it with the modified one. The update is likely to fail with the modified file in place. You may well have to re-root once updated to be able to push the modified file into place

Edited by flurry

Guest I am eusty

Just reading through this and one question I thought of......

Why not just change the launcher to Nova, or one if the many other launchers to get rid of all the Tesco stuff?

Just reading through this and one question I thought of......

Why not just change the launcher to Nova, or one if the many other launchers to get rid of all the Tesco stuff?

because it's on the stock navigation bar on the hudl 1, so the launcher doesn't change it. On the hudl2 your idea would work

Guest MarkWilson

Thanks Flurry, I'm on 1.3 (JDQ39.20131016.200812) - looks like this is the 1.3.1 update so it sounds like I'm safe to go ahead and apply it! Thanks

Thanks Flurry, I'm on 1.3 (JDQ39.20131016.200812) - looks like this is the 1.3.1 update so it sounds like I'm safe to go ahead and apply it! Thanks

Indeed, sounds like you'll be fine as long as you put the original unmodified SystemUI.apk back in place before updating.

• 4 years later...