A Warning to All G300 Owners! Please Read! [Hynix Flash Memory Problem]

Guest george109

Guest whutwzl

I am sure that everybody who has at least read the forum in the past few weeks has noticed a lot of G300s dying, and the (probable) cause for this is bad Hynix Flash Memory!

:huh: What is Flash or Flash Memory? Why is it so important? :unsure:

Flash memory, is  the phones main storage device. Everything is stored on here, including key things like the bootloader. If this gets corrupted, then the phone will not start at all! Nothing will happen when you hold the power button! it will just be bricked, and you will need a special JTAG recovery. You will probably lose all of your data too.

Some credit goes to tcpaulh, for his post here, posting the command on the forum!

Some credit also goes to Dazzozo, for actually posting the command on the IRC! ;)

A bit of extra credit goes to Dalyer, and the CyanogenMod wiki, for posting how to find the date of the eMMC chips.

By the way, you will need root for this.

To find out which memory you have, you should download this terminal emulator app from the play store.

Open it, and turn any sort of text prediction off, as this can cause really strange results (Touchpal, I am looking at you here!  :P)

Now type:

su

and press enter. A Superuser request should pop up. Accept it. 

Now, you will need to type

cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/name

There will be 2 different outputs here:

The first is:

SJS00M

If you have this output, phew! Your flash memory is safe.  :D  :D  This means you have Samsung flash, and you are at the end of the tutorial, and you G300 is safe. Please answer the poll. :) I would like to see how big the problem is! (Remember though, your G300 is not bulletproof because of this!)

The other output is:

xinyh

If you have this output, you have Hynix memory your G300 is at risk!! :(  :(  

Now, please type this command:

cat /sys/class/block/mmcblk0/device/date

This command lets you see the date of manufacture of the chip. 

Please answer the poll, so I can see that you are one of the affected people. Also, press the end button on your keyboard, (it saves scrolling!) and reply in, with something like

Hope this problem be solved quickly :mellow: .Looking forward the updating of CM10.2/android 4.3

Guest george109

Hope this problem be solved quickly :mellow: .Looking forward the updating of CM10.2/android 4.3

Sadly, the only way to solve this problem at the moment is to send it off for service, and replace the flash chip

Guest whutwzl

why the version of nighty 10.19 is ok,and the 10.21 has been deleted?Is it because the change of the kernel

Edited by whutwzl

Guest whutwzl

I do not understand English, Google Translator ... hope do not mind, ha ha

10.2, the future is not updated?

我也是刷机爱好者,可以交流下噢,哈哈

Guest george109

Guys, I have reset some answers and edited my second question in the poll (For what seems the millionth time! :D) Anyway, I have added a few more responses to question 2, as you have to answer 2 to vote. (Even if you do not have Hynix flash)

Please can you vote again, if you clicked I do not know for Q2?

I'm not able to answer the poll. It allways wants to answer the second question, but i can't answer it because my phone is not dead.

Fixed - Thanks for pointing this out. You can vote now.

Edited by george109

Guest george109

memory: XINYH

date: 08/12

I have flashed one rom with kernel 3.4 and the phone did not die

The death is not instant. When you flash it, it would take time for it to happen. - I would change ROMs until this has been solved...

Guest george109

People with Hynix memory, would you like to brick your phones so you can send them to Huawei for a replacement? I have just had an idea...

If you want to know more, PM me... 

You can do this by clicking on my name (George109) or my Profile Picture and then clicking: post-1000829-0-03141500-1383318889.png

Edited by george109

Just had my bricked phone back from Huawei UK under warranty (5 working days) ... it had been rooted and running custom Stock+ Rom B960 R6 + Cyda so can confirm no problems with returned rooted/custom rom phones. As the phone had already died suddenly a couple of weeks ago I didn't know what memory it was.

They state they have had to replace the main circuit board and hence I have a new IMEI number.SD Insight says its now Samsung memory SJS00m (apr 1997) haven't tried terminal emulator. Fortunately it looks like it's unlocked ( I use T-Mobile) but it's back installed with Vodafone bloatware B960 but I'll have no doubt have to unroot it again to reinstall my back-ups....

(Off topic request)..... before I reinstall my rom.... I've lost touch with the best Roms..... any ideas please on a good replacement for Stock+ Rom B960 R6 + Cyda which apart from the constant annoying 3G reboot issues was a good Rom??.

My other G300 which is Hynix which isn't bricked yet but is giving me dialling failures will go back soon as I already have an RMA for warranty repair... unless I donate it (see above post). 

Edited by kar999

Guest george109

Just had my bricked phone back from Huawei UK under warranty (5 working days) ... it had been rooted and running custom Stock+ Rom B960 R6 + Cyda so can confirm no problems with returned rooted/custom rom phones. As the phone had already died suddenly a couple of weeks ago I didn't know what memory it was.

They state they have had to replace the main circuit board and hence I have a new IMEI number.SD Insight says its now Samsung memory SJS00m (apr 1997) haven't tried terminal emulator. It's installed with Vodafone bloatware B960 but I'll have no doubt have to unroot it again to reinstall my back-ups....

(Off topic request),,,, before I reinstall roms I've lost touch with the best Roms..... any ideas on a good replacement for Stock+ Rom B960 R6 + Cyda which apart from the constant annoying 3G reboot issues was a good Rom.

My other G300 which is Hynix which isn't bricked yet but is giving me dialling failures will go back soon as I already have an RMA for warranty repair... unless I donate it (see above post). 

Oh - would you like me to make something which kills the other g300 for you, so then you can send it back, if you dont want to donate of course!

If you do, PM me...

Sent PM... would prefer to keep it as a spare but it's going back anyway (already have an RMA) once my replacement one is up and running again.

Edited by kar999

Guest george109

Sent PM... would prefer to keep it as a spare but it's going back anyway (already have an RMA) once my replacement one is up and running again.

Ok - replied to the PM... Go on there now :)

Guest mdwsmith

Hynix 07/2012 still working on Baidu stable android 4.04 before that tried quite a few roms butnot latest kernal - RIP soon!

I've replaced myself a cracked screen so huwei may not replace it if bricked - a pity as I won't be able to try daz's lastest excellent work

Guest Kloghman

Huawei: G300 8815
Android: 4.0.3

Kernel: 3.0.8-perf-00248-g9a0b819

Serial: U8815V100R001C02B960

Branded: Vodafone

Bought: 30/10/2013 at UNIEURO (Italy)

Flash Memory Name: Samsung (SJS00M) 

Flash Memory Date: 02/1998  ?????  why so old?!  ^_^

Edited by Kloghman

Guest whutwzl

I have added a poll, this is to see how large the problem is.

The rom of cm10.2 has been updated today,Does it means the problem have been solved?

Thank you for your guidance

The rom of cm10.2 has been updated today,Does it means the problem have been solved?

Thank you for your guidance

It seems like you should be fine with the new nightlys with CWM 6.0.4.0 recovery.

(But installing a custom made ROM is always a risk. Your risk.)

Guest whutwzl

Even though my flash is hynix?Yeah,I certainly know the risk but it is worth trying.Now I am using cm10.1,I dare not using cm10.2 because the problem of flash. :(