A Warning to All G300 Owners! Please Read! [Hynix Flash Memory Problem]

Guest george109

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest beermad

Hynix strikes!

Went to sleep last night after reading a book on my G300. Woke up this morning and it was completely dead.

Well, almost. If I plug it into my Linux computer I see log entries showing that a USB device has been connected. But that's it.

Deliberately didn't upgrade past 10.1 due to the warnings. 'Phone bought in the UK (Ipswich) round about October 2012.

So my planned upgrade to a Moto G happened rather sooner than expected. G300 will go back to Huawei for a warranty fix - always good to have a spare (and something to test apps on).

Edited by beermad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest roybennett

Same thing as happened to poster 'Beermad' happened to me. Went to bed, left phone on, next morning dead as a dodo. Would not respond to anything. Was running cwm11, but do not know what chip it was using (well, I did, but I forgot). Returned it to Huawei and five days later phone returned to me in working order. No queries on their part - the phone was well over a year old.

• 1 month later...
Guest redfox05

Created an account on Modaco especially to post my findings for you. But I guess its useful to have an account anyway as its a good forum :)

But.... unfortunately bad news for me....

I have Hynix memory.

Date: 06/2012

Purchased in: UK, from a Vodafone store.

Now what will this mean, and what can I do about it?

Do I have grounds to send it to Huawei straight away to get Samsung memory?

Also, now that I have unlocked and rooted, does that mean warranty is invalid and thus Huawei will just say tough luck?

I read that if you have Hynix memory, I should install CWM 5.0.2.8 instead of the latest version. Is that correct?

And does this limit my choice of roms? Im not sure how different versions of CWM and mods are affected by memory, surely it just means you can use anything, but its just going to be unreliable in general? Or do later version of things cause strain on things? If someone could educate me on this, I would appreciate it.

I was planning to install either Stock+ or Slim roms, probably most likely Stock+. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Edited by redfox05

Guest dalyer

The Hynix situation is not that clear.

My impression from the anecdotal reports here is that they may be in danger of bricking spontaneously no matter what you run on them.

However it seems that ROMs/CWMs based on the 3.4 Linux kernel might be particularly dangerous to them and cause or expedite bricking.

So steer clear of them.

But at least one person has recently bricked a Hynix G300 while NOT running anything with the 3.4 kernel.

If you want to run GB (and personally I think it's the best choice of Android for this phone) then you should try GBXTREME as it seems to be the best GB ROM around right now.

If the phone is in warranty then one option is to deliberately brick it sooner rather than later, take it back and hopefully get a non Hynix replacement! :D

I think george109 may have something that will deliberately brick Hynix G300s. Check earlier in this thread.

Edited by dalyer

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest barsony0

One more Hynix here.
Date:05/2012
Bought from Telenor HU in Hungary.

I was changed rom for 5-6 times, but i think i'm going to change from JB to GBExtreme and will using with it till' it's dead. I do not understand, why Hynix flash memories do this, could be this because the memories were manufactured faulty?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gremlinek

I have Hynix memory.

Date: 05/2012

Purchased in: Poland

Just installed CM 10.2 and after 1h boooom! Bricked, reacts for usb cable but old drivers doesn't work ;(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dalyer

Strange - CM 10.2 is not based on the 3.4 kernel as far as I recall.

Were you using a 3.4 based recovery?

Maybe your phone was on the way out anyway and the fact that it bricked after installing CM 10.2 is simply a coincidence?