[ROM][ZTE Skate] H3 Holo (Dolby Audio + Linaro optimized kernel + frandom + ROW I/O scheduler)

Guest H3ROS

it's themed the stock music??

I am going to see it now but the ROM is downloading very SLOW , i dont know why i have trouble only with downloading roms, torrents are downloading at max speed. Also i will put screenshots of keyboard mod and music player.

Ics keyboard is smooth? thank you for stock music player.

Yes.

it's themed the stock music??

Yes. I think I did mention before that I'd actually modified the music app and then decided to switch to Shuttle. That's when I baked the Dolby equalizer into the settings menu in such a way that it doesn't depend on any music app.

Guest xander21

The keyboard is the one thing I can't modify much. I can change how it looks and I can add some languages, as I have done, but I can't fix it's minor flaws. With that said, for me it works best if I disable audio feedback, auto-correction and suggestions. If that's not enough for others though then I've supplied an addon in post #2 for an ICS style keyboard without word swiping. It's fast and works really well.

I was using official swype for nearly a year but it was freezing, hiding or not showing when needed without reason.

I think the version you added is kinda better and fine enought to be used.

I don't use audio feeback and auto-correction. I only use suggestions because sometimes wanted word isn't the first choice.

Same here, battery for me seems pretty good.

I'm not sure if some people see heavy battery drain because they've changed some apps or maybe their device uses a slightly different hardware and the OMC ROM's with Dolby (H3 Blues, H3 Holo and stock) simply don't play well with that hardware. Nobody seems to find any issues with BetterBatteryStats or any other app though, which means that I can't fix anything as I've already done a lot to improve battery life.

I was using official swype for nearly a year but it was freezing, hiding or not showing when needed without reason.
I think the version you added is kinda better and fine enought to be used.
I don't use audio feeback and auto-correction. I only use suggestions because sometimes wanted word isn't the first choice.

I also own a copy of the much newer paid for version. It's not got the little issues this OEM version does, but it's laggy compared to the OEM version. I'm not sure if it's a bug though because beta versions before that shown up on the Play Store didn't have the problem for me.

Edited by H3ROS

@ H3ROS

i don't know if we had thanked you like you deserve  but thank again for this awsom rom i love my skate now :p and be sure that if i had an credit card i would like to donate BIG
SO thank you ones more i'm OOUT 

Yes the Rom is really amazing, i love it's look, i love to scroll through options menu and status bar, this seems to be Ice Cream Sandwick , i didnt change any app, i just unistalled some apps i don't need and replaced launcher with launcherpro whick it's scrolling smoothness makes me feel really great + with ics icons of apps, i found everything.

Maybe battery is going fast because i need to do a battery calibration, right now i don't have any charger i just charge the phone via usb to pc so i know it's not so good but on other roms battery was better without any calibration.

The opera clasic browser it's not good, i got big freezes/blocks without any reason, and im on mobile view , the opera mini shows the same in mobile mode and it's smooth in scrolling also no blocks, i know mini is a classic look of mobile mode, but in that android smartphone, there is no smooth scrolling and also fast browser to support modern mobile view and to feel smooth too, they can't make a better browser to armv6 phones, mozilla firefox has great scrolling but not fast at loading pages.

You'd need to try H3 Blues or the OMC stock ROM to see if that's effecting battery for you. I honestly can't say without an app or service having a wakelock or something that shows that it's obviously effecting battery.

For me Opera Classic is the best stock browser for an old armv6 device. It renders web pages fully like a PC, where as the mini version isn't as high quality. And I know that Opera Classic can sometimes lock up for a second or two or randomly close if you've got a few pages open (that's a browser issue as you can see from Operas Classic reviews), but that's something I put up with to have a high quality browsing experience. Like I've said though, I've made the browser totally optional.

Edit: I think my second favourite browser is Dolphin.

It's when a user modifies or removes the system APK's that it becomes a problem for me, since the ROM's designed to be as-is. So for example, if I issue an update then I know it'll work for everyone, unless you've modified stuff yourself. Like my next update will contain a new launcher version, but that's going to effect people who might have removed or replaced launcher.apk.

Edited by H3ROS

You'd need to try H3 Blues or the OMC stock ROM to see if that's effecting battery for you. I honestly can't say without an app or service having a wakelock or something that shows that it's obviously effecting battery.

For me Opera Classic is the best stock browser for an old armv6 device. It renders web pages fully like a PC, where as the mini version isn't as high quality. And I know that Opera Classic can sometimes lock up for a second or two or randomly close if you've got a few pages open (that's a browser issue as you can see from Operas Classic reviews), but that's something I put up with to have a high quality browsing experience. Like I've said though, I've made the browser totally optional.

Edit: I think my second favourite browser is Dolphin.

It's when a user modifies or removes the system APK's that it becomes a problem for me, since the ROM's designed to be as-is. So for example, if I issue an update then I know it'll work for everyone, unless you've modified stuff yourself. Like my next update will contain a new launcher version, but that's going to effect people who might have removed or replaced launcher.apk.

You release a update with the same launcher but just updated? holo launcher? i'm using a different launcher and i removed the stock because i don't want to have 2 launchers to use more memory and to increase battery usage, but the update have the launcher apk not? why i need to have the apk installed if update itself have the apk and it will install anything in the zip, if this is a problem i will reinstall everything.

You release a update with the same launcher but just updated? holo launcher? i'm using a different launcher and i removed the stock because i don't want to have 2 launchers to use more memory and to increase battery usage, but the update have the launcher apk not? why i need to have the apk installed if update itself have the apk and it will install anything in the zip, if this is a problem i will reinstall everything.

It might be a new launcher. It depends on if I can get it to work and look how I'd like it to.

Having two launchers doesn't actually use more memory, since the inactive launcher is never used and the replacement launcher shouldn't be installed as a system app. The replacement shouldn't be installed as a system app because it might be much larger than Holo Launcher, which leaves me with less space for updates. That could mean that you could end up installing the update and then having Android left in an unbootable state because it's got no space left, which it would of if you had of left the system apps alone. The only way around that would be for me to release complete ROM updates, but then you'd need to install all of your apps and setup everything each time I release an update.

It might be a new launcher. It depends on if I can get it to work and look how I'd like it to.

Having two launchers doesn't actually use more memory, since the inactive launcher is never used and the replacement launcher shouldn't be installed as a system app. The replacement shouldn't be installed as a system app because it might be much larger than Holo Launcher, which leaves me with less space for updates. That could mean that you could end up installing the update and then having Android left in an unbootable state because it's got no space left, which it would of if you had of left the system apps alone. The only way around that would be for me to release complete ROM updates, but then you'd need to install all of your apps and setup everything each time I release an update.

I don't use the replacement launcher as a system application, i just install it , i don't move it to system apps , also about the notes, i don't unse calendar , never use it and i used only notepad whick comes with a rom and i realised that i really need that app so this is why i need that app but do whatever you want.

Guest areswargod

H3ROS, Thanks for your roms, I was using h3blues, and now i'll be using this one, battery life could be better but i'll try reinstalling the rom, the sound is WOWWWW !!!! Thanks for this amazing rom.       

Great rom!! Best I ever used on my skate.

two questions: if I use my ear plugs the sound is much too loud even though the volume is on minimum. How can I help this?

How can you set the bat status in percent?

Great rom!! Best I ever used on my skate.

two questions: if I use my ear plugs the sound is much too loud even though the volume is on minimum. How can I help this?

How can you set the bat status in percent?

You need to disable dolby audio when you put headphones, go to settings/sound and uncheck dolby, and for battery percentage you can't do that, maybe H3ros will release a update ,use a battery widget , download from play store.

I actually recommend keeping Dolby enabled and just lowering your volume more than you would.

I should say that having Dolby enabled even with the volume set to maximum won't damage anything because it's an official feature of the Orange Monte Carlo, which is just a rebranded ZTE Skate. So for me Dolby audio has always been a feature as I'm using an OMC.

As for the percentage, that's something that will be coming once I've stopped editing framework-res.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/366117-romzte-skate-h3-holo-dolby-audio-linaro-optimized-kernel-frandom-row-io-scheduler/page-10#entry2176415

Well it is a part of the Omc but with headphones sound is not that good sometimes, the big problem is when you need to lower the volume but you can't because of dolby, i know dolby makes sound great with the speaker and i think with some headphones , but to lower volume keep it off.

With my headphones Dolby sounds amazing at maximum volume. That's the main reason I've only published Dolby ROM's, for the audio output you get via headphones. If you're using cheapish headphones then that may effect how it sounds for you. Like I use Klipsch s4 which are great for their price range.

I find that with Dolby disabled the audio on the Skate sounds too flat. It'll have weak highs and not much base.

I've actually tested that before, but I found it a bit slow and even with everything setup it couldn't go as loud as Dolby.

Dolby does have a custom EQ in the settings, which adjusts the way it sounds pretty well. You just need to know what values sound best for you. Of course, everyone's different though. Some people might like dull highs or not much base and others might like an almost insane amount of base. That plus the earphones/headphones you use will have an effect on how it all sounds :)

Guest nicksoph

Hi

Looking for the best way to get another browser on this - not enjoying Opera.

Will removing Opera from the ROM before reflashing cause any issues?

Otherwise all still very good with this ROM - notice some peps have commented on the battery but it has been at least as good as Blues if not better for me.

Many thanks for this great rom. 

nick 

Edited by nicksoph