Latest hudl update patch (OTA) + modded version (NEW! no assert checks)

Guest glossywhite

Guest djpatterson

Tried this with regular flavour recovery, no go, still stops almost right away with an error (no indication of what the error is though). Will get CWM on here and try again later. Before I do though, djpatterson, to be sure we are on the right page, the start of my updater-script (found under META-INF\com\google\android) looks like -

mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mtd/by-name/system", "/system");
ui_print("Verifying current system...");
show_progress(0.100000, 0);

# ---- start making changes here ----

That correct?

Yes, that's it, although I also too the show progress out.

If you edited in windoz then you need to have used a proper editor like notepad++ as stock notepad, etc. put extra 'helpful' characters in the file that you can't see and don't need

Guest djpatterson

Oh, don't leave the update.sh lying around in the root of the internal card as you'll keep getting the 'update available' prompt (even if you've moved the ota apk)

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Nope, but I have eMailed them... Its worth a shot!! ;-)

Basically I saw they had a help guide for people who have problems with their Touchscreen not working... (as a few on the forums have suffered that) However their guide was in no relation to the bug we know, but just touchscreens in general.

So when said "did the helpguide, err... help" I said No... and went into further details! And then asked that it would be handy to know what the updates actually solved. If I hear anything (which I am not expecting too....) shall of course reveal on here...

Cheers, Lister

Anyone got a list of changes from this update yet?

Just updated from strock to v1.3 on a work colleagues hudl, which "seems" to have resolved their left hand touch panel not working issue.

Will need to wait until Monday before confirming a fix though, as it only seemed to creep in after an hour or so of use.

Guest glossywhite

Had to delete the 2 earlier assert statements too.

Then just applied through CWM, declining the updated bootloader and adding SU when prompted.

Seems to be fine to me, what should I test (help about just being a lookup of build.prop)

Thanks

Would someone please explain precisely what needs to be deleted in the update-script to allow this 1.3 to be flashed? 

Just as a matter of interest - just unboxed and initial setup of partners hudl - update is approx 76MB for a new device.

Plan is: -

1. Produce backup images via rkflashtool.

2. Root with ...... possibly this time Kingo.

3. Produce backup images of rooted hudl on v1.3

Will share images once produced if anyone is interested, just currently working out image offsets (via rkflashtool 0x00 0x02 I think) and then how to package (zip) up the images so that one a single file is produced that can be used with the windows version of the tool if desired. It's a learning curve on android for me, but when available will update etc.

Edited by Guest

Sorry, should have read all the updated threads looks like h4x0rm1k3 has already provided a fix for this issue of the update not installing etc. I'll go back in my corner and tinker while learning android :ninja:

Guest djpatterson

Would someone please explain precisely what needs to be deleted in the update-script to allow this 1.3 to be flashed? 

Thanks  :)

Here you go:

The update checks that everything is "as should be" before updating. If you edit the updater-script and remove lines 6 - 357, it should skip the checks and install the update anyway. No guarantee everything will OK though, seeing as it is of course it is designed to be applied to unmodified stuff (hence the checks are there in the first place). You can try it though.

and:

Had to delete the 2 earlier assert statements too.

Then just applied through CWM, declining the updated bootloader and adding SU when prompted.

Seems to be fine to me, what should I test (help about just being a lookup of build.prop)

Thanks

Guest TurboPask

Hi,

two days ago I tried to modify the update.zip file to remove some assert-check but I wasn't able to apply the update using the stock recovery because fail for zip signature verification! I know that this is not an issue for CWM recovery....

Guest glossywhite

Hi,

two days ago I tried to modify the update.zip file to remove some assert-check but I wasn't able to apply the update using the stock recovery because fail for zip signature verification! I know that this is not an issue for CWM recovery....

So... use CWM? 

Guest TurboPask

So... use CWM? 

First I tried to modify the update.zip file in order to insert the proper signature. I found some software around by I had no success.

In my case the update process failed because I removed some Apk (the same you indicated as not necessary some weeks ago) from system/app.

So I extracted these apk form the stock image of Paul and I put again these apk in the app dir; after I was able to update my hudl.

p.s.: I used the chinese VRoot program to root my hudl.

Guest Justice™

Thanks for the patched version, I was able to sideload it into CWM and flash it over my existing TabbieDroid 1.5 setup, Its working fine so far and everything seems to be normal.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi @GlossyWhite / All,

So just to understand / get this correctly... Can I use the new Patch in the Opening Post/1st Post, to update a pre-patched ROM updated Tablet??

Basically, I flashed the HAL2710 rom that has the built in CWM recovery... The rom had the Tesco's Apps removed. However I put some of them back (the ones useful for my mum, like ClubCard and stuff... but left the BlinkBox rubbish out). I also restored the SystemUI that INCLUDED the [T] icon in menu....

However now, I want to make sure the Tablet is running the very latest firmware from Tesco. Can I now copy this Update.zip file onto the Internal storage? (or does it have to be SD Card?) and then flash in CWM???

Do I select:

1) Choose a Zip from sd card

2) Install Zip from Sideload

3) Toggle Signature Verification

Admittedly the above options may not be the same as the Hudl (as its downstairs, just reading options from my phone).

Just wondered what the correct proceedure is for the Hudl, and will it keep all my previous Apps/Settings/Data, and just merely update the Tesco firmware?

Sorry for all the questions, I am use to CWM firmware flashing of other devices, phones and generic Tablets... But as Tesco's firmware seems to BORK the Tablet if its been modified, after all the effort I put into settings mum's up, I dont want it to die now... :( lol

Thanks, Lister

Edited by Lister Of Smeg

Guest jonoathome

hudl-update-1.3-no-assert-checks.zip..

not working from stock recovery.. fails verification test

No means to install CWM yet as I don't have a 64bit linux machine..

Edited by jonoathome

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi @GlossyWhite,

Please see my post above...

Can I install this via CWM recovery, and not lose any current data on the Tablet? Do I choose Sideload or Zip from SD Card....

Many thanks, Lister

Guest jonoathome

Hi @GlossyWhite,

Please see my post above...

Can I install this via CWM recovery, and not lose any current data on the Tablet? Do I choose Sideload or Zip from SD Card....

Many thanks, Lister

either will work..  External sd card only though...  I even kept my patched systemui...  no Tesco nonsense... yay!!

Strangely I lost root... but regained it by re-flashing the supersu via recovery...  

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi All,

Well I eventually updated the Hudl to v1.3, but boy what a mission... :(

I'm not sure if I was having a funny 5 minutes, or whether the links in the original post goto TWO different locations. When I first downloaded the file, the post said to check inside for another Zip.... Which there wasn't, so I went to flash it anyway. Needless to say, it failed with various errors. Namely Signature, and some Error Line 7.

Anyway, I checked again, clicked a link... and it appeared to download a differently named file. Went to flash it, and this time it worked... success!!! (or, so I thought.... :(  )

This is were my WORLD OF PAIN started.... :(  And I did agree to keep root after flashing.

Upon reboot, then popped up the constant "unfortunately process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" and will not disappear. No matter how many times you click OK/Cancel, or try to get to any part of the system, it will pop up and take focus of the screen at all times.

I followed all the guides on the internet, some with up to 6x different solutions, such as Clear Davlik Cache, Clear PlayStore and PlayServices Cache, Enable Download Manager if its already Disabled, and various other bits and bobs... Sadly none worked... :(

No matter what I did, the above pop ups kept coming back time and time again.... :(

However, I finally found the solution using a naughty slightly iffy tool ;) That is often used bypass payment of paid Android Apps. It has a feature to clear system files, and ODEX files and various other bits and bobs. Finally after giving that a bash and rebooting, thankfully back all back to normal.

I tell ye, it certainly was a brown trouser moment, thought I had killed mums Tablet and that I would have to reset it, and set it all up again....  thankfully not!

So thank you for the update, pleased to say fully updated now (not sure what it Adds, Tesco's still not got back to me... not that I expect that they would), thanks for making the update itself easy with the checking disabled. Not sure what went wrong after the update though... but Tablet gets to live another day! :)

Cheers, Lister

Guest Grumpydev

I've installed CMW, then installed this using it and it all appears to be fine, but if I go into Hudl updates it still says there's a new version (1.3) available - is that normal or should it think I'm up to date now?

Guest CashMoney

I've installed CMW, then installed this using it and it all appears to be fine, but if I go into Hudl updates it still says there's a new version (1.3) available - is that normal or should it think I'm up to date now?

Use a root explorer and search the root of the internal card. Delete the update.sh script. That should stop the prompts.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi GrumpyDev,

I checked for updates before flashing this, and it said 1.3 was available. After I flashed it, and entered a world of pain (might just be my setup, but was presenting with a fluffy or two, of constant FC's).

Once I cleared those with one of my iffy ;) tools, as every other official solution out there in Google's-ville world failed to fix my Tablet. Once all the messages had gone, and it booted normally. I did a check, and all was updated... (checked the build numbers) and that was it... :)

Cheers, Lister

Guest paultr2

Ignorant newbie posting (you must just hate them ;)).

I cannot understand most of this thread but want at some point to root my Hudl and get rid of the annoying [T]. I think I will be able to follow the instructions linked on this forum. I notice that to root it you must have build 20130923.020558 which I have as I have not updated yet. I do want the improved WiFi that the latest update offers but if I update does that mean I cannot then root the tablet ?

Guest Grumpydev

Use a root explorer and search the root of the internal card. Delete the update.sh script. That should stop the prompts.

Can't see an update.sh in the root of the filesystem, or do you mean somewhere else?

Guest CashMoney

Can't see an update.sh in the root of the filesystem, or do you mean somewhere else?

Sorry Grumpydev, I read that from an earlier post. If it's not there, guess that's not the issue. Maybe you could try "installing" the update and letting it of course fail?

If it's any consolation, I've finally found time to get cwm on my hudl, and I STILL can't update, not with the original file (naturally), my own edited file or either of the two available in this thread. Just an error, but no indication of what the error is, just says error, aborted after the verification part.

That said, I've no options in CWM to backup my current install, is that not available for everyone or just me, indicating that perhaps I have a b0rked CWM install? Only options I have are to install zips and reboot.

Edit - Yep, redownloaded the CWM recovery, and reflashed it, all working fine now. Now I have to put back everything I removed to try and get this working ....

Edited by CashMoney