Nexus 5 "bootanimation.zip"

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Just found the beautiful Nexus 5 "bootanimation.zip" and flashed it to my hudl... and it looks superb!

10620021834_8ac000c0f4_o.gif

Download, open a terminal, "cd" to the download destination and...

adb push N5-bootanimation.zip /sdcard/N5-bootanimation.zip

adb shell

su

mount -o remount rw /system

cp /sdcard/N5-bootanimation.zip /system/media

mv /system/media/bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip.ORIG

mv /system/media/N5-bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip && chmod 644 /system/media/bootanimation.zip && reboot

N5-bootanimation.zip

Edited by glossywhite

Guest TescoHudl

I have a problem. It says 'No such file or directory', but N5-bootanimation.zip hasn't even been copied to the location stated yet? Doesn't make sense...

FpoNsQq.png

try replacing the mount command with this: "mount -o remount,rw /system" - this is always the command I've used for remounting system as R/W, not sure if using a comma instead of a space makes a difference.

Guest TescoHudl

try replacing the mount command with this: "mount -o remount,rw /system" - this is always the command I've used for remounting system as R/W, not sure if using a comma instead of a space makes a difference.

It tells me that's an 'invalid argument'... If glossywhite was able to install the animation using this method, i suppose it must be something wrong at my end? Never mind anyway, i'll just do it using ROM Toolbox as that has a feature to set your own boot animations. :)

024kN6m.png

Guest glossywhite

Each command in my guide is a new command, terminated by [RETURN]. What is being observed is terminal telling you that, instead of a new command, you are supplying what should be the new command (and it's arguments), as arguments to the previous command (and to it's arguments).

The syntax of the remount command is not the issue here - it's well documented as an alternative shorthand, all across the internet, and I've used it countless times, with thorough and exhaustive testing.

:)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

I've found the forum keeps eating the line breaks between shell commands :)

Type the commands manually, or copy and paste one line at a time. This forum and it's formatting and layout is a right bodge in some areas - I wouldn't trust a web page line breaks to carry across into the precise world of the terminal :)

As an example of this forum screwing formatting up, look at how there IS NO SPACE between the quote block and my reply text, above, and also take note of how the forum insists on erroneously time-stamping posts, thus:

"04:29pm"

instead of the correct:

"4:29pm" OR "16:29pm"

There IS no "04:29" in the context of post-noon time - that is how you represent *AM* times, not PM. It was mentioned over a year ago, but noone has fixed it  :P 

Messy ain't the word.

Edited by glossywhite

• 1 month later...

The error in the OP is that you have to add the location of the file to the first command...

Assuming you downloaded the ZIP file to the D:\ drive,

This: adb push N5-bootnimation.zip /sdcard/N5-bootanimation.zip

Would become This: adb push D:\N5-bootanimation.zip /sdcard/N5-bootanimation.zip

Hope this helps...

Guest Droibles

Just found the beautiful Nexus 5 "bootanimation.zip" and flashed it to my hudl... and it looks superb!

Sweeeet! My N7 and Hudl now both look like they have KitKat...

Now all we need is an actual KitKat ROM for the Hudl to complete the experience.

Good find!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gilthoniel1990

Just tried this. Works a treat :) thanks. I may be going mad, but I think my Hudl might be taking a second or two loger to boot as a result, though. Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

Guest Adduxi

Tried this one, and yes the animation is now a 'glowing' word - android but I have lost all system sounds?

When I tried to copy the zip file it wouldn't let me until I chmod 644 the media folder. It then copied the file.

However if I try to even play the ogg file with any player, it will not play, nor any of the audio files in media sub folders.

The files are visible and set to r-- r-- for users and rw for root.

I've also tried to set the permissions to r-x r-x but the system will not let me?

Any suggestions ......

I should point out sound is working, as in playing iPlayer, Movies etc.