[APP][SHARE] Xposed Framework (for theming, mods and much more):

Guest Hasan217

Guest Hasan217

I came across this awesome framework called xposed framework on the XDA forum, It allows modding the ROM without modifying the APKs. Just thought of sharing with you guys.

The developer's note in the thread:

"I'm presenting a framework which gives you the possibility to modify your ROM - without modifying any APK (developers) or flashing (users)! smile.gif"

"Some technical details:
I extended the /system/bin/app_process executable to load a JAR file on startup. The classes of this file will sit in every process (including the one for system services) and can act with their powers. And even more: I have implemented something that allows developers to replace any method in any class (may it be in the framework, systemui or a custom app). This makes Xposed very powerful. You can change parameters for the method call, modify the return value or skip the call to the method completely - it's all up to you! Also replacing or adding resources is easy."

"Advantages:

• No need to modify any APKs. This means:
    • No need to decompile, change things in smali, compile, sign, ...
    • It will work for odexed and deodexed ROMs.
    • Your mod is not bound to a specific version of the ROM. Unless there is a major change in the methods called for a certain functionality, your mod will continue to work even when you upgrade your ROM. Hell, it will probably even work with different ROMs.
    • Multiple mods can be installed at the same time, even if they change the same package. So you can use these battery icons and those quick toggles. Even hooking the same method twice is possible. Of course, this only works properly if the mods are not trying to do incompatible things.
  • It does its magic at runtime. That means you can implement options to let the user decide if they prefer the bikeshed to be painted in red or blue. Or you can have some extra logic for certain ROMs without building different mod versions.
  • It can be disabled easily without having to reflash.
  • It's open source."

For more info: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1574401

Previously it wasn't compatible with x86 devices but now the developer rovo89 has extended support for all x86 devices.

I've attached some screenshots of my cell after applying SImplicity Theme from the module XTHEME

Also there are other various interesting modules for this framework.

Since we do not have custom roms, this could be our best alternative.

I've also attached a screenshot of how the frameork looks like.

post-1005687-0-84977200-1384152967_thumb

post-1005687-0-41589200-1384152982_thumb

post-1005687-0-10035600-1384152996_thumb

post-1005687-0-94910000-1384153007_thumb

post-1005687-0-14967800-1384153011_thumb

post-1005687-0-37449300-1384153023_thumb

post-1005687-0-33834700-1384153036_thumb

Edited by Hasan217

Guest BlueMoonRising

That looks really interesting if only for the fact that there is an NFC screen unlocker module available, possibly allowing you to bypass the dodgy on/off switch on the OSD.

Have you tried that module by any chance Hasan? If so does it work from deep sleep?

For anyone interested you do need to be rooted to install the framework although you can then unroot if required. There are also of course security issues given how it seems to work.

Guest Hasan217

Haven't tried that module yet. I've just started using it myself. Also, not all modules are actually compatible with our phones because many modules are made for 4.1+ and for ARM devices. I'll give the NFC screen unlocker module a try myself and let you know.

Guest BlueMoonRising

That's a shame. On an aside which NFC tags do you use? Have all the ones you used worked fine?

As you can tell I don't have any or would have tried it myself, I'll have to pick some up I think.

Guest Hasan217

I don't have the tag either. Actually I tried it on my colleague's cell phone. She had the tag. But I couldn't get it working on her cell phone :-(

I've never used nfc or bothered using it coz I never required it till now when I started noticing problems with the power key. Here in India you don't even get nfc tags in stores, will have to order it online. I'm sorry I can't help you on this one coz I don't know how nfc works myself. Will have to do a bit research over the weekend.

I shared this app here so more developers using our phones can make some more mods n themes. There's even a thread for xtheme engine on xda which is gathering developers to port CM themes to xtheme engine. Many have been successful, but the more the better. :-)

Guest BlueMoonRising

I've ordered a sticker and a couple of Sony tags of Amazon (the tag has already dispatched) so I'll have a look when they arrive.

Edited by BlueMoonRising

Guest Hasan217

It does require root right?

For the initial installation yes, although you can then unroot if required I believe.

But you will require root for some modules to be used on the xposed framework. For example, theming your device using 'Xtheme Engine' module, will require root every time you change the theme. I think all the popular modules like 'Greenify', 'Android Tuner', 'Xblast Tools', etc. require root to mod your phone....

Guest BlueMoonRising

anyone have luck installing Google experience launcher on x900??? I can't on my x1000 it shows Google search not responding... pls help...

Don't hijack someone else's thread, create your own. Edit :- and when you do explain more.

Edited by BlueMoonRising

Guest BlueMoonRising

But you will require root for some modules to be used on the xposed framework. For example, theming your device using 'Xtheme Engine' module, will require root every time you change the theme. I think all the popular modules like 'Greenify', 'Android Tuner', 'Xblast Tools', etc. require root to mod your phone....

Ahh, good point.

I've tried it myself and haven't had any success yet. I'm trying for any help on XDA.

I left it overnight in airplane mode with everything turned off except for NFC and it never entered deepsleep. 40 minutes @ 1.6Ghz and the rest @ 600Mhz so at least I know it doesn't turn off NFC when it's locked although it did eat up 16% of battery in just over 9 hours.

I've installed the NFC Unlocking module BTW :- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2478163

Guest Hasan217

Ahh, good point.

I've tried it myself and haven't had any success yet. I'm trying for any help on XDA.

I left it overnight in airplane mode with everything turned off except for NFC and it never entered deepsleep. 40 minutes @ 1.6Ghz and the rest @ 600Mhz so at least I know it doesn't turn off NFC when it's locked although it did eat up 16% of battery in just over 9 hours.

I've installed the NFC Unlocking module BTW :- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2478163

Try the 2.3 static 1 version from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=46354954&postcount=4422

This one worked for me. You can later on update to the newer version. Also, before doing it use root explorer and mount the system r/w. This is how rovo89 had instructed me. And it worked.

Guest BlueMoonRising

Try the 2.3 static 1 version from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=46354954&postcount=4422

This one worked for me. You can later on update to the newer version. Also, before doing it use root explorer and mount the system r/w. This is how rovo89 had instructed me. And it worked.

Excellent, that worked although I did forget the "Also, before doing it use root explorer and mount the system r/w." bit but doesn't seem to have had an adverse effect so far.

Guest BlueMoonRising

Even better is that it now enters deep sleep with no problems. So absolutely no downside.

I'm going to see if I can sew a tag inside the flip case so that when I open the case and fold it back on itself it will switch on and unlock the phone in one go.

Guest Hasan217

Even better is that it now enters deep sleep with no problems. So absolutely no downside.

I'm going to see if I can sew a tag inside the flip case so that when I open the case and fold it back on itself it will switch on and unlock the phone in one go.

Cool! I hope this helps several people facing problems with the power key. Now I just hope more developers come ahead and extend support for x86 and ICS devices and make more modules. This framework has a lot of potential and this can be our only alternative to a custom rom.

And you made me smile by including my name in your thread that you recently made. I feel honoured. I'm just a person who shared this app. Thanks. :-) :-)

Guest Hasan217

Yes you can... First install the framework and then install the module called Xtheme engine. This engine is like the CM theme chooser. There are several themes available. Some have been ported from CM. Like the screenshot uploaded in the first post is just one of many themes available on Xda. Just search xtheme on Xda forums and you will see several themes.

Guest BlueMoonRising

Did the framework install for everyone? Whenever I try, I get 'Segmentation fault (core dumped)'. [see attachment]

I can't seem to find anything about this.

I did get some errors come up but it hasn't caused any problems.

I think you used the up to date version, try the 2.3 static 1 version from here http://forum.xda-dev...&postcount=4422

You'll need to uninstall all modules and the framework first and then reboot.

Guest bob3450
I did get some errors come up but it hasn't caused any problems. I think you used the up to date version, try the 2.3 static 1 version from herehttp://forum.xda-dev...&postcount=4422 You'll need to uninstall all modules and the framework first and then reboot.
Thank you for the reply! It's an improvement! Now I get this error: (see screenshot). I am rooted and gave it root access. Any ideas? Edit: I tried the second version you linked too as well, and that didn't work. Edit 2: Silly me... Just read the error, and realised I needed yo mount the filesystem! All sorted now! Thank you for the help BlueMoonRising!

post-982019-1384620499221_thumb.jpg

Edited by bob3450

Guest Hasan217

Thank you for the reply! It's an improvement! Now I get this error: (see screenshot). I am rooted and gave it root access. Any ideas? Edit: I tried the second version you linked too as well, and that didn't work. Edit 2: Silly me... Just read the error, and realised I needed yo mount the filesystem! All sorted now! Thank you for the help BlueMoonRising!

Did the framework install for everyone? Whenever I try, I get 'Segmentation fault (core dumped)'. [see attachment]

I can't seem to find anything about this.

First use root explorer and mount system R/W.

Edit: Sorry didn't read your edited post.

Edited by Hasan217

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hasan217

For all those using Xposed Framework do not install the update 2.4... It breaks xposed and you will have downgrade to version 2.3 static 1 apply it and then update it to 2.3.1. But not beyond the version 2.3.1...

Edited by Hasan217