First Impressions

Guest MrPuddington

Guest Psicotix

I think this is a fab phone, only issue I have with it is the call quality, people on the other end could not hear me on half the calls I was making, so Phones4U swapped the phone out after some none gentle persuasion, they really are a bunch of muppets, but that's another story. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Slightly OT, but: Andy, has the new model fixed the call volume issue? There's another thread up here discussing same issue - seems to be just a few affected by it.

Thanks for the original post MrPuddington!

Guest madsam106

Picked up the Moto G from Tesco 2 nights ago. Having dived in for a bargain (£40 after using clubcard boost) and providing my misus with an early christmas present without properly reading up on it was surpised to find no SD card slot or wall charger.

The bumph tells me that the lack of SD card is because Google want to promote cloud based storage which is fair enough I suppose but which services do they recommend for Pictures, Music, Large Apps?

Taking the back off may cause problems for some as it feels like it has to literally forced off (can see a few of them snapping for folk)

It's had decent reviews so far but personally would not swap for my Ascend G300

These are my early thoughts and will have to play with it a bit more to give a more rounded view

Picked up the Moto G from Tesco 2 nights ago. Having dived in for a bargain (£40 after using clubcard boost) and providing my misus with an early christmas present without properly reading up on it was surpised to find no SD card slot or wall charger.

The bumph tells me that the lack of SD card is because Google want to promote cloud based storage which is fair enough I suppose but which services do they recommend for Pictures, Music, Large Apps?

Taking the back off may cause problems for some as it feels like it has to literally forced off (can see a few of them snapping for folk)

It's had decent reviews so far but personally would not swap for my Ascend G300

These are my early thoughts and will have to play with it a bit more to give a more rounded view

For pictures i use dropbox, and music i have it all synced to Google play music (around 3000 tracks)

as for large apps there is nothing you can do, but if you have the 16gb version it should be enough, at least it was for me with the nexus 4

and had most of the best games installed, you could also look into the micro sdcard reader accessory.

i have not received my Moto G yet so not sure what to expect, but i did have a G300, so i'm interested in what makes you say you would not swap it for G300?

Guest MickJack

Getting to quite like my Moto G, handy to have my old G300 charger to use :-), picked up from Tesco, charged and logged into google, seemed as if all the apps I had ever downloaded or played with started to download on to the new phone along with my other settings and gunph. Very quickly had contacts etc up to date, resorted my apps, no problems installing from google play, side loaded Flash via dropbox more to see if it would than expecting to need it, installed no problem.

Unlocked easy via the ebay seller.

Like the bright sharp screen, extra options in the camera, battery seems to last and jelly bean (I stuck with ics on G300) phone feels solid and I will have to get used to the on/off on the side. Speedy as well.

post-981697-0-47079900-1386369412_thumb.

Edited by MickJack

Guest jazzuk777

Like at least one other poster, my previous phone was an Ascend G300 (I stuck with GB though).

First impressions - noone will be surprised to hear the screen is fantastic and it is nippy and speedy though I still really haven't played with it properly and installed anything to really put it through its paces.

Slightly annoying placement of volume rocker as it is just where most (generic at least) car cradles will hold it.

Really disappointed with most of the pictures I've managed to get with it so far- focussing just doesn't seem to be quite right, and I'm really hoping that KitKat will fix this, as it is supposed to have been done on the Nexus 5. Phots are almost all just slightly out of focus and the G300 with the same pixel count is superior, I think. Anyone know whether disabling HDR might help for example? That said, the interface is great - being able to tap anywhere to snap, although I think it may lead to sharper tapping than when pressing a soft button that requires more precision (which may not help with the focussing!). Ability to take a photo while videoing nice too.

Also be aware that there is no file manager or full media manager on the phone, so if you add any of your own video (or if it migrates from your old phone) you'll have to download one or the other on the phone to be able to browse to the files to watch them (the google video app only displays downloaded or in-camera video) - minor gripe, but annoying, especially for less techincally minded people that might get one I would think. I don't particularly like having ad-funded file managers, but I can live with it.

All in all, an almost great phone, which could be great if KitKat works its magic...

Guest MrPuddington

Really disappointed with most of the pictures I've managed to get with it so far- focussing just doesn't seem to be quite right, and I'm really hoping that KitKat will fix this, as it is supposed to have been done on the Nexus 5. Phots are almost all just slightly out of focus and the G300 with the same pixel count is superior, I think. Anyone know whether disabling HDR might help for example? That said, the interface is great - being able to tap anywhere to snap, although I think it may lead to sharper tapping than when pressing a soft button that requires more precision (which may not help with the focussing!). Ability to take a photo while videoing nice too.

That is strange, because I have to say that the camera is a lot better than the G300, and even the San Diego (with 8 MP). True, it is not the sharpest, but for the usual web resolution it produces nice pictures with good colours and very little noise, something that cannot be said for the G300. 

I also understand that the G300 uses at least two different camera modules, and the Moto G may also have different hardware according to availability. But if you say that it is really out of focus, that sounds like a technical problem to me.