First Impressions

Guest MrPuddington

Guest MrPuddington

I just go mine this morning, but so far I am very impressed. Android 4.3 is really neat compared to earlier versions, and it gives this phone a number of advantages:

• After installing Google Keyboard, gestures are supported.
  • The phone has unified storage memory, so you cannot run out of app storage (unless all the memory is full). 
  • Everything is nice and fluid, either because of better software or better hardware. 
  • It seems to be compatible with every app except for NowTV. 

The hardware is also quite nice:

• It supports USB-otg, so you can connect USB devices such as a keyboard using a simple adapter. 
  • The camera does not have many pixel, but the pictures are quite decent. The light is very bright. 
  • The screen is really nice - good brightness, although the minimum level could be lower. 

My only questions are:

• Can I connect an external screen? I know it does not have an HDMI connector, but maybe there is a USB adapter?
  • Is there a way to root it? I guess it is not essential, but still nice for a few apps.

Overall I would say this is absolutely brilliant for the price - this is just as revolutionary as the original ZTE Blade was. 

Guest Justice™

My only questions are:

• Can I connect an external screen? I know it does not have an HDMI connector, but maybe there is a USB adapter?
  • Is there a way to root it? I guess it is not essential, but still nice for a few apps.

I'm assuming a rooting method would be coming soon, the bootloader is able to be unlocked so I'm assuming it wouldn't be too hard to get root access 

I don't think it supports MHL for outputting to a TV screen, but it may support Miracast, which requires no cables and streams over Wi-Fi.

Guest Frankish

I would like to know how well it does playing games such as Dead Trigger 2, Need For Speed. Any stutters or lags?

Also would be nice to see some pictures taken with the camera on it.

Anyone willing to test this

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-prevail/367379-prevail-rooted.html

to root it? 

At your own risk of course...

Edited by Frankish

Thanks for posting your impressions, I'm thinking of buying this phone once it becomes available in my country. USB OTG is a nice surprise. And I also thought of the ZTE Blade as a phone that provided similarly amazing value for money in its day.

I hope the Moto G bootloader doesn't pose a challenge for developing and installing custom ROMs.

Perhaps you could post some sample photos taken with the Moto G? I saw a few photos in the TrustedReviews review but they didn't provide full size images.

Guest gavinlew

I've taken some sample pictures on my Moto G , and uploaded them to G+ , I will add some more shortly from around Bath.

Has anyone found any cases for the phone yet? Only ones I can find are the pull up tab pouches.

Guest Andymac1969

@MrPuddington

is the back cover removable or fixed, just wondering if it was fixed was there a hidden micro-sd slot underneath???

The back cover is removable to access the SIM slot, or change the colour of the cover, but there is no SD Card slot 

Guest misterc2k5

I bought the Moto G yesterday and so far I am very impressed with the phone. Everything is responsive and loading apps is fast. Battery life looks to be good, I am currently on 19 hours with 57% battery left, that is with quite a bit of usage yesterday as I was playing around with the phone and WiFi connected when indoors and 3G outside.

I wont take any photos to show the camera quality as you could give me the best camera in the world and I would still take a rubbish photo :)

I don't play many games on phones, but if there are any you would like me to try any that have demos on Google Play, let me know and I will check them out and reply back.

Update: I played Dead Trigger 2 for a few levels and it ran no problems, no stuttering etc.

Edited by misterc2k5

Guest professordes

I've taken some sample pictures on my Moto G , and uploaded them to G+ , I will add some more shortly from around Bath.

Has anyone found any cases for the phone yet? Only ones I can find are the pull up tab pouches.

I got a white back as a freebie when I bought mine at Phones4U.

Guest Skip Tracer

I got a white back as a freebie when I bought mine at Phones4U.

Ah, they are about then, bought one for her in doors yesterday at P4U but they never had the free covers so I have to return later to get it.

Someone was saying on DigitalSpy about the flip cover and that Amazon have them up for sale but have a long delivery time and this is what lead me to think that may be the covers are simply not available but if you have one this is not so, so another trip to P4U tomorrow. :D

Guest Electronic Punk

Picked up my Tesco 16gig model this morning and it was briefly locked to Tesco network.

Used http://www.unlockunit.com/ to unlock for $14 and they actually have an offer to get 50% back if you are willing to record unlocking, quite reasonable.

Currently on Giffgaff although will get some strange Danish network on it later when my girlfriend gets her hands on it.

Comes with a black cover and purple in the box.

System version is 14.71.8.falcon_umts.TescoSL.en.bb which I don't like, but there is no branding otherwise, look forward to seeing if I can get it 100% generic tho.

Quite a few app updates out the box, its pre kit cat so does still have messaging and hangouts

Does have quick office, motorola assist (which seems to help with doing automated features like being quiet during meetings) and migrate to get sms on there etc.

Still playing.

unlock codes for £2 on ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-Moto-G-Mobile-Phone-Unlock-Code-/111223239973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19e56bf525 top rated seller, looks legit 99.9% positive feedback from 28009 sales

think if i can get one from tesco i will give this a test, looks similar to the person who sells the huawei unlock codes 

Guest Andymac1969

I think this is a fab phone, only issue I have with it is the call quality, people on the other end could not hear me on half the calls I was making, so Phones4U swapped the phone out after some none gentle persuasion, they really are a bunch of muppets, but that's another story. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Guest MrPuddington

Ok, I have some sample pictures to look at: http://homepages.lboro.ac.uk/~elts2/samples/samplepix.zip (11MB). 

The interesting thing is that sharpness is actually really good, noise is controlled, but as always the noise reduction causes some weird artifacts. Colours are generally ok, but they tend to saturate. Overall it just does not have the definition of a real camera, but for phone it is really not bad. It certainly beats a lot of 8MP cameras out there. I wonder whether the sensor is bigger than the standard 1/3", but I could find no evidence to support this. (PS: The focal length is given as 3.5mm, which indicates a sensor size of 1/3.5" or 1/4" - tiny by any standard.) Or maybe 6MP are really best. http://6mpixel.org/

The only real downside I have noticed is that quite a few headphones only work on the left side, but not on the right side. This was with two handsets, so it probably applies to all of them. 

Edited by MrPuddington

Guest spike68

Thanks for posting your impressions, I'm thinking of buying this phone once it becomes available in my country. USB OTG is a nice surprise. And I also thought of the ZTE Blade as a phone that provided similarly amazing value for money in its day.

I hope the Moto G bootloader doesn't pose a challenge for developing and installing custom ROMs.

Perhaps you could post some sample photos taken with the Moto G? I saw a few photos in the TrustedReviews review but they didn't provide full size images.

post-940307-13852676027262_thumb.jpg

post-940307-13852676322209_thumb.jpg

post-940307-13852676536126_thumb.jpg

Guest Sebastian404
System version is 14.71.8.falcon_umts.TescoSL.en.bb which I don't like, but there is no branding otherwise, look forward to seeing if I can get it 100% generic tho.

The one I got from Phones4U us :14.71.8.falcon_umts.Retail.en.GB

Guest spike68

I'm in the market for CWM, root etc having unlocked the bootloader on an 8GB specimen. Very nice phone for the price.

Dude. Can you give tut for unlocking boot loader?

Guest MrPuddington

just seen this posted on xda http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2537439

Mini MicroSD Card Reader for Android http://www.meenova.com/ this looks like a great little thing to add extra storage to devices with no sdcard slot... 

providing they support OTG which most do.

video

I don't get it - this seems like it has a high chance of breaking the USB port. I would much rather have a very short plug/cable that is integrated into a case. Or a short USB OTG cable - so that you can plug in anything.

I don't get it - this seems like it has a high chance of breaking the USB port. I would much rather have a very short plug/cable that is integrated into a case. Or a short USB OTG cable - so that you can plug in anything.

how would this have a higher chance of braking the usb port than any other thing you plug in to it?

i don't think its intended to be left in all the time, but rather plunged in when needed,

for me i would move all my recoded videos and pics to this once taken as this is what takes most of my space up, 10min 1080p videos are rather big (about 500mb)

16gb would be more than enough alone for just games and apps (for me anyway)

i personally think this is great, as i am not aware of any way to plug my sdcard into an OTG cable

without a few extra things that i wouldn't want to carry around with me at all times.

been able to have it on a keyring with your keys is also really handy, for me at least, as i would probably loose it, ha  :mellow:

Guest Skip Tracer

Can anyone please confirm if Wifi Hotspot works ok on Moto G? I have read some comments that this has been disabled by Google/Motorola.

Thanks.

I assume you have found an answer for this somewhere else by now but just encase the Moto G’s hotspot works just fine.