Root your Moto G - option 1: Superboot

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest TescoHudl

I still can't get the bootloader unlocked on mine, the website continues to tell me that the 'device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking'. I spoke to a Motorola agent today and he told me that the website is in the process of being updated, but i can't understand how there are some people here with the exact same phone as me, on Tesco PAYG, who have managed to do it no problem?? It's the 16GB model if that makes any difference...

I still can't get the bootloader unlocked on mine, the website continues to tell me that the 'device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking'. I spoke to a Motorola agent today and he told me that the website is in the process of being updated, but i can't understand how there are some people here with the exact same phone as me, on Tesco PAYG, who have managed to do it no problem?? It's the 16GB model if that makes any difference...

ive unlocked mine which is also from tescos, but i flashed the british retail stock rom first which can be done without unlocking bootloader. the motorola website first says its not supported and asks you to click on link to request code  and an email arrives a few mins later with your unique unlock code.

Edited by ahac85

Guest Samlock

ive unlocked mine which is also from tescos, but i flashed the british retail stock rom first which can be done without unlocking bootloader. the motorola website first says its not supported and asks you to click on link to request code  and an email arrives a few mins later with your unique unlock code.

Confirmed - 16GB Tesco PAYG model :)

Flashed stock ROM from the sticky post, rebooted to Android then "adb reboot bootloader", followed the Moto instructions to unlock and got the email a few minutes later :) Just need to get root now...!

.:EDIT:.

Root didn't work. Eagerly awaiting updates :)

Edited by Samlock

Hmm... What is your phone saying in fastboot mode?
Mine (not working) is:

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
40.19 (sha-1b44c96, 2013-10-16 16:47:58)
CPU: MSM8226 CS
eMMC: 8GB ID=15 RV=06 PV=02 TY=17
DRAM: 1024MB Samsung S4 SDRAM DIE=4Gb
Battery OK
Device is UNLOCKED. Status Code: 3
Edited by a1Pha

Guest shootomanUK

Might be another dumb question, but the ones who are having trouble have you verified the download is not corrupt by using the md5#

also have you tried running an elevated command prompt ?

I had issues once before when flashing stuff on my win7 64bit pc, I tried again on my laptop win7 32bit fresh install and everything worked fine.

try it on another machine if you can ;-) 

Might be another dumb question, but the ones who are having trouble have you verified the download is not corrupt by using the md5#

also have you tried running an elevated command prompt ?

I had issues once before when flashing stuff on my win7 64bit pc, I tried again on my laptop win7 32bit fresh install and everything worked fine.

try it on another machine if you can ;-) 

daniels-mbp:Desktop zanooda$ md5 r2-motog-superboot.zip 
MD5 (r2-motog-superboot.zip) = a4ca11f526f57f643a0a552ec234ad6f

Tried as root, also.

I also tried it on Windows (with and without elevated command prompt) and on Linux, as normal user and as root. All operating systems were booted natively, not inside a hypervisor. Tried all USB ports.

Can anyone who has root working verify the fastboot output from my last post? Maybe there are different bootloader versions.

Guest Camarillo

Moto G      I have download drivers appeared to install ok do they work on Windows 7 64bit, put phone into fastboot ok open adb + fastboot in windows consol device not showing up Drivers?    help please Regards M

Unlocked bootloader from XP Proffesion machine fine ok then       superboot-windows.bat  appears to do it thing reboots no superuser so i downloaded superuser installed ran came back with error saying needed to manually root huh

Edited by Camarillo

Exactly the same fastboot output, and root worked fine in first time (win7 32bit )

i have 16 Gb from SFR (vodafone FR)

Well... Then I am running out of ideas.

Moto G      I have download drivers appeared to install ok do they work on Windows 7 64bit, put phone into fastboot ok open adb + fastboot in windows consol device not showing up Drivers?    help please Regards M

This is another topic, please open a new thread ;)

Guest hyperfighting

a1pha: Mine is a UK 8Gb model from phones4u store, same problem as others unable to root, have tried on win7, winxp, elevated command prompts, different builds of fastboot - no joy :(

eMMC: 8GB Toshiba RV=06 PV=51 TY=17
Battery OK
Connect USB Data Cable

your emmc line is different to mine and you DRAM line says 44Gb mine says 4Gb, typo there or not ?

a1pha: Mine is a UK 8Gb model from phones4u store, same problem as others unable to root, have tried on win7, winxp, elevated command prompts, different builds of fastboot - no joy :(

eMMC: 8GB Toshiba RV=06 PV=51 TY=17

Battery OK

Connect USB Data Cable

your emmc line is different to mine and you DRAM line says 44Gb mine says 4Gb, typo there or not ?

Whoops. Sorry, typo. I meant 4Gb of course.

Guest TescoHudl

Some quick questions regarding the bootloader unlock and UK stock ROM.

1. What's the difference between the UK stock ROM and the Tesco ROM? I don't see why it would make any change to the bootloader unlocking state.

2. Does flashing the UK stock ROM loose user data on the phone?

3. Can the bootloader be re-locked? I'm worried i'll end up with a faulty phone and no valid warranty to use.

Cheers. :)

1. What's the difference between the UK stock ROM and the Tesco ROM? I don't see why it would make any change to the bootloader unlocking state.

3. Can the bootloader be re-locked? I'm worried i'll end up with a faulty phone and no valid warranty to use.

2. It is advised to wipe userdata and cache after flashing a ROM, so yes, you would loose your data.

3. Once you've unlocked your bootloader via motorola.com, your phone is registered as unlocked in their database, so even if you relock the bootloader, they will know that it was unlocked once.

Guest PaulOBrien

1. Which ROM you have seems to have no effect on whether you can root or not.

2. Yes.

3. It can, but the splash still shows on startup saying it's been unlocked at some point.

P

Guest PaulOBrien

This is looking a bit ominous, an image that boots via 'fastboot boot' OK on my device isn't bootable when flashed to either the boot or recovery partitions...

P

Guest TescoHudl

3. It can, but the splash still shows on startup saying it's been unlocked at some point.

Dammit, if it still leaves trace that the bootloader has been unlocked, i think i'll give the root a miss...

Could a workaround not be made to hide the unlocked bootloader icon during the boot?

This is looking a bit ominous, an image that boots via 'fastboot boot' OK on my device isn't bootable when flashed to either the boot or recovery partitions...

P

Had the same issue. I am not even able to boot stock recovery.img via fastboot boot.

Guest PaulOBrien

Had the same issue. I am not even able to boot stock recovery.img via fastboot boot.

I can boot the stock recovery image from the stock package, but not if I rebuild it with no changes. Which is very troubling.

P