Moto G battery ran out - now won't switch on

Guest jpxdude

Guest jpxdude

Hi All,

Yesterday, after the Moto G was on for almost 1.5 days, the battery ran out and powered off. The first thing I did was stick it on the charger for a couple hours, but the phone remained off, and wouldn't power on afterwards. I also left it on charge overnight to see if it would do something, but it's still lifeless.

Anyone else experience this issue, and have any ideas to suggest trying? Thanks in advance!

-J

Guest jpxdude

I have organised a replacement, but it is a bit concerning, as I've read 2 other similar reports on this so far. Was rooted using Paul's second method (temp custom recovery) however the phone was working perfectly up until the battery ran dry.

My phone wouldn't charge yesterday, and I discovered it was due to the Micro-USB cable I was using.  It seems that not all Micro-USB cables are created equal.

In my case, I thought the phone was charging (the screen came on when the cable was plugged in), but actually it wasn't (and if I'd have looked closely, I would have seen that the battery icon was't indicating charging).

Changing the cable for a different one cured the problem.  Note that I haven't tried the cable it came with; I suppose I should have done...

Guest jpxdude

Just an update, I left the phone for one day, and it magically came back to life and started charging after trying it again. It seems to a common problem, as I just went off the suggestion from some others on XDA. Pro tip: don't let the moto g run flat!

• 4 months later...
Guest Jones555

Hey man Listen I fix this issue with my phone. 

Here are the steps.
- leave the phone for 24 hours means no touch, do not try to power up the phone, or do not even charge the phone in these 24 hours.
- after the 24 hours press the power button then LED will blink 3 times.. 
- then immediately put the phone back on charge (Use original charger only).  

- then let the phone charge about 25 mins then start up the phone 

It must start up.
In case it won't then replace it

• 2 months later...
Guest rnair22

Hi Guys!

My Moto also went dead on connecting to USB cable. i was copying some files to my phone and boom!!! the phone was dead in a couple of mins... and now i'm trying to revive it..

Going to try out ur suggestions.

- not going to touch my phone for 24 hrs [bt y... ;(]

- charge it after that for 2 hrs 

- power it up.

- and cross my fingers

Thanks guys for your valuable inputs!!! Keeping fingers crossed! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eLJay

So did it work?

I've just had the same thing with my phone, where it kept rebooting whenever I plugged in or unplugged the USB it reset the last two days, and now today it has died and won't  switch on it was down on charge but I had started recharging it. I've had this phone since January.

If it doesn't work does anybody know what Tescos policy is on replacements?

Of course the law of sod means the receipt for the phone sitting in the house 350 miles south of where I bought it but we are moving house this week so I can bring it up and change it if it has to be the same shop.

Edited by eLJay

Guest glossywhite

Motorola Mobility support (UK):

0870 901 0555

Very courteous, precise and efficient. The replaced my faulty back shell in 2 days VIA UPS :O - you can spend 6x that amount of time dithering about it on forums. Call them, job sorted in ten mins, and they are so polite and professional (they are located in Edinburgh)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest eLJay

Followed the advice on the first thread posted above.

Held the power button for at least 2 minutes and put it on the charger.

Now it's charging.

Phew.

The other tell tale signs were one of the services reported it wasn't working and

test options came up for it and it also wouldn't connect to the phone provider.

Edited by eLJay

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gray66

Mine did that this weekend, connected to PC and LED came on but flashed funny, connected to wall charger and LED flashed normal, and powered on after holding power button in for around 90 secs to 2 mins.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bill48er

Hi Guys

(late post but....)

According to Motorola the answer to a zero charge battery is....

1. Plug it into the charger 
  2. Hold the VOL DOWN key
  3. While still holding the VOL DOWN key, press and hold the POWER key
  4. Hold both keys down for over 120 seconds.  This is more than two minutes and will seem like a long time. You might want to time yourself to make sure you hold it longer than two minutes. 
  5. After holding the keys down for more than two minutes, release them.
  6. The Flash Boot screen will display, and the Normal Reboot option will be highlighted
  7. Press the VOL UP key and the device will start a normal reboot.

Better than waiting 24 hours ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed only some of my chargers seem to cause this issue so I think it may be an issue over the current delivered by certain chargers.

In fact one charger I tried caused it to happen every time.

One way I have found around it seems to be to use a power only charging cable rather than one that includes data.

So it may be an issue over the charger delivering insufficient current when it sees the data connection or the phone reporting it's requirements incorrectly.

Edited by eLJay

Guest bill48er

Some USB cables have also been known to be an issue.

Edit: Sorry I see that this has already been high lighted in an earlier post.

Edited by bill48er