[ROM][4.4.4][ALL] SlimKat 9.1 UNOFFICIAL [29/12/2015]

Guest chil360

Guest thetonyxx

I installed 4.6 with a clean flash, and issues while waking up persist... sometimes and randomly the phone doesn't wake up or takes more than a minute trying. Then, a message pops up saying that launcher app doesn't respond and asking to wait or close. In some cases the phone even reboots. I suspect it may be related to the kernel and the governors, at the moment I'm trying to raise the min. freq. step by step. By now it seems that 95MHz it's OK, but the previous kernel (0.31) worked flawlessly at 19.... let's see....

why be mad to use kk when there are good stock based?

Guest rederik75

why be mad to use kk when there are good stock based?

Your comment is just a little bit less unnecessary than saying "wouldn't be better to buy an iPhone5?"... :rolleyes:

Guest thetonyxx

Your comment is just a little bit less unnecessary than saying "wouldn't be better to buy an iPhone5?"... :rolleyes:

no, impossible i will never take a fuck1ng aifon  :)

Edited by thetonyxx

Guest Finokas

Well, rom runs quite smooth and fast but everytime i turn on WiFi or Data its impossible to do anything. Freezes for 1 minute.

Im the only one?

A clean install may fix or just wait for Slim 4.7?

(English not my main language) 

Guest onefish

G'day, just chiming in here to offer my thanks to the OP for this ROM. I have a Y300-0151 model in Australia which were only $85 on sale from Dick Smiths. The hardware is absolutely great for the money but it's really nothing special compared to the galaxy or nexus ranges. The stock 4.1.1 ROM was actually quite slow just navigating around and often laggy swiping between things. I rooted the phone when I first got it several months ago to overcome the issue 4.1.1 had with saving paid apps to a location which does not load on boot (meaning you loose them and all accounts and settings related to them every time the phone is rebooted). I overcame this issue by backing up my paid apps with titanium backup and restoring from the backup but that meant that I could never allow the apps to update from the Play Store. As soon as they did, they were back in the non-boot location and lost upon restart.

I put off upgrading the ROM for a while because there just didn't seem to be too much available for this cheap phone. Did some research yesterday and decided to go ahead and install the Slimkat 4.6.2 build (latest available) linked in the original post. There wasn't any information available on whether or not it would work with my 0151 variant of the Y300 but hey, it is only an $85 phone so worth taking the risk. I'd like to say that it all went smoothly but I did have a couple hiccups. Nothing to do with the ROM/hardware compatibility though.

First problem was actually upgrading TWRP recovery. Goomanager app wouldn't work. I ended up having to flash the new version the old fashioned way. I didn't try to flash the new ROM until after I updated TWRP recovery so can't say if it works or not. The instructions on the Slimkat site are pretty clear though that TWRP must be upgraded first.

Alright, backed everything up to my ext SD card and flashed the new ROM. Then without leaving recovery, I flashed the gapps package (used the full Slimkat package). Rebooted and viola! it works.

Second issue, I lost root access? What, surely that can't be right. Googling a bit revealed that the Slimkat ROM has root access disabled by default. That is a very strange choice for a custom ROM that requires root access to even install. Anyway, that's how it is so I'll just turn it on again through......... what?? Developer Options is also missing. Another very strange choice for a custom ROM. OK google came to the rescue and after 7 taps on the "Build Number" in the about phone settings menu my Dev Options were functional. 2 seconds later and I had root access enabled.

After restoring apps and data and setting everything up and testing, I am pleased to say that I do not have any problems whatsoever. Everything is working fine. The best part however is the difference that kitkat has made to just navigating around. I read that most of the changes to Android in 4.4.2 were streamlining coding to enable flawless running on lower spec hardware. I can honestly say that this is VERY noticeable on the Y300. There is no more lag and jitter and waiting for it to catch up to my gestures. I would go as far as to say that this is a "must do" upgrade on the Y300. It has made my $85 phone perform as well as my previous $700 phone (well, almost anyway).

Cheers!

Guest thetonyxx

Well, rom runs quite smooth and fast but everytime i turn on WiFi or Data its impossible to do anything. Freezes for 1 minute.

Im the only one?

A clean install may fix or just wait for Slim 4.7?

(English not my main language) 

make all wipe and flash last version

if you want a rom no bugs maybe not the best ones with kk

4.8 much better than previous builds.. thanks chil360

p/s: i wanna buy huawei honor 3c when i have enough money lolz.. very cheap device with good spec... 

Guest SaurabhRCk

dazzozo merged  some device specific changes addressing voip issue and some patches this couple of days! Please do include those

Guest Andresrlp

I have a problem with 4.6 that still remains in 4.8:

When I play a song with Google Play Music app (a song located in the cloud), the phone freezes and a few seconds later it reboot itself.

Am I the only one? Anyone else tried this scenario?

Sorry for my English.

Guest SaurabhRCk

I have a problem with 4.6 that still remains in 4.8:

When I play a song with Google Play Music app (a song located in the cloud), the phone freezes and a few seconds later it reboot itself.

Am I the only one? Anyone else tried this scenario?

Sorry for my English.

no you are not the only one, its one of the most consistent issue with any 4.4 rom. As dazzozo explained at the time of releasing cm11 back in 2013, its a bug due to gfx driver. And possibly far fetched to be fixed.

Guest Andresrlp

no you are not the only one, its one of the most consistent issue with any 4.4 rom. As dazzozo explained at the time of releasing cm11 back in 2013, its a bug due to gfx driver. And possibly far fetched to be fixed.

Oh, too bad! Well, I'll have to get used to the idea of not using google play music anymore. I won't get back to that old laggy stock based rom.

Thank you for your reply.

Guest svennn

My experiences with Version 4.8 on G510-0100:

- in 4.6 I had a few more random reboots compared to 4.4. In 4.8, everything seems to be good again. No random reboot so far.

- Audio stutter on system lock and unlock is minimized or not present anymore. (Maybe flashing the boot.img without updating the ROM does the same thing?)

For me, everything works fine (though I don't use some features like GPS or Bluetooth on a daily basis).