[ROM][GB-B895] GBXTREME ROM - ✰29032014✰ (MULTIBASEBAND)

Guest kyan31

I think I installed Holo Launcher and pared it back to a single home screen.

I can't remember what launcher it comes with by default.

Edit: skimming back through the thread I think GBX bundles the GB AOSP launcher and I seem to recall that you cannot configure the number of home screens through the UI in that launcher?

Edited by dalyer

Guest doveman

Thanks for this ROM, it's working with barcode scanner, which was crashing on Slim.

However, I've flashed that ICS-to-Gingerbread ROM and it still shows Baseband 2030 in About, so could you suggest another way to change it?

EDIT: Doh! Just saw the link in the post above mine, so should I just flash Downgrade-B895.zip?

Edited by doveman

Guest doveman

Hmm, I don't seem to be able to use the phone network now. It shows full signal and Tesco and I can choose O2 3G or 2G from the Mobile networks but it's not receiving any incoming calls and won't even let me text BALANCE to 2112 (which is a free text to check balance on Tesco).

I know I haven't got any credit (maybe 5p!) on this SIM but it should still receive incoming calls and let me send free texts.

Guest doveman

Ah cool, it's started working on my Tesco SIM now :)

Maybe it takes a while before the networks re-register the device and allow it access after changing the baseband?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest doveman

Great ROM, runs very well on the G300. Couple of issues I've run into but maybe they're just limitations of Gingerbread.

1) Can't install Google Keyboard. It's very hard using different keyboards on different devices, so I use Google on all of them. Although I'll be giving this phone to someone else, it's hard to support them when you don't know how to operate the keyboard app!

2) Can't encrypt the storage, at least I can't see any option for that.

I note that Busybox is already installed but it's v1.20.2-cm7. The latest is v1.23.1, so should I update or just leave it?

Great ROM, runs very well on the G300. Couple of issues I've run into but maybe they're just limitations of Gingerbread.

1) Can't install Google Keyboard. It's very hard using different keyboards on different devices, so I use Google on all of them. Although I'll be giving this phone to someone else, it's hard to support them when you don't know how to operate the keyboard app!

2) Can't encrypt the storage, at least I can't see any option for that.

I note that Busybox is already installed but it's v1.20.2-cm7. The latest is v1.23.1, so should I update or just leave it?

These are all limitations of gingerbread, nothing to do with me. Its plain old.

• 1 month later...
Guest bbolle

@kyan,

just wanted to say thank you.

i've downgraded the baseband and installed your rom,.. and the phone works a treat.

was thinking about getting a new phone as it was dropping out and rebooting and being generally unpleasant on CM 10.x

i cant believe how snappy it is now, and battery lasts for 4-5 days with little use.

.. really god work mr, you saved me two handfuls of $ which i didnt really fancy spending on yet another (bloody) phone.

beermoney is coming your way

kindest regards from

barcelona

Guest kyan31

@kyan,

just wanted to say thank you.

i've downgraded the baseband and installed your rom,.. and the phone works a treat.

was thinking about getting a new phone as it was dropping out and rebooting and being generally unpleasant on CM 10.x

i cant believe how snappy it is now, and battery lasts for 4-5 days with little use.

.. really god work mr, you saved me two handfuls of $ which i didnt really fancy spending on yet another (bloody) phone.

beermoney is coming your way

kindest regards from

barcelona

Haven't logged onto here for a very long time, just came to say thank you. I appreciate the gesture and I'm glad your phone is working better for you, all the best to you.

• 1 month later...
Guest doveman

For what it's worth I use SwiftKey when Google Keyboard is not an option (e.g. on GB).

Thanks, that looks like a good alternative, although it does gobble up 43MB.

I've just flashed back to GBXTreme before I give the phone to my Dad as his first smartphone. He doesn't need much, mainly a bigger/easier phone to use for texting than his current cheapo non-smartphone. Is there a (low-memory) app that will use more of the screen for composing messages, as the default app in GBXTreme feels a bit cramped and gives up a lot of space on the left for the attachment icon?

Guest dalyer

although it does gobble up 43MB.

You can use link2sd or link2int to move apps to sdcard or the otherwise unused 2GB internal partition if you are tight on internal space.

as the default app in GBXTreme feels a bit cramped and gives up a lot of space on the left for the attachment icon

Try Textra and see if it suits. I can't remember what it looks like on G300 as I haven't used that phone for a good while now.

Guest doveman

> You can use link2sd or link2int to move apps to sdcard or the otherwise unused 2GB internal partition if you are tight on internal space.

I meant it uses 43MB of RAM, not storage and that's a bit much for a limited RAM device like the G300. Something weird happened yesterday and the free RAM went down to 0MB, despite the running apps not coming close to accounting for all the RAM and even force stopping a few only gave me about 7-15MB free. After rebooting I've got 218MB free, so I don't know what that was about but I've noticed it on my other Android devices, that the free RAM doesn't make sense after adding up the RAM used by the running apps.

> Try Textra and see if it suits. I can't remember what it looks like on G300 as I haven't used that phone for a good while now.

Thanks, I looked at it in the Store but it says it's not compatible, probably due to the fact I'm running GB.

I guess I could try TextSecure. The actual purpose of that app doesn't seem to work properly any more, as it just sends unencrypted SMS and offers no option to change that (it used to automatically send the key to start encrypting when first messaging someone who's also using Textsecure) but it probably still offers a nicer interface for sending unsecure SMS.

Guest doveman

Is there something I can use on the G300 running GB to suspend battery draining apps when the phone goes to sleep (either automatically or when I press the power button to lock it)? Greenify isn't showing in the Store, so I presume that's not compatible with GB. Clean Master is OK for manually killing apps and preventing them from auto-starting at boot but is a bit intrusive and ad-heavy and doesn't auto suspend apps.

Guest doveman

Than

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Something's weird with the battery, as I just woke the phone today after not touching it for a couple of days and it showed 46% battery but within a few minutes of using it, without even turning the WiFi on, it's dropped to 21%.

I've got a bigger problem though, with the RAM usage.

Although the About screen reports that the phone has 394MB and Clean Master shows 347MB used out of 394MB, when I go to Running Apps, it shows 130MB used, 14MB free which makes no sense, especially considering that it showed 218MB free after I rebooted the other day.

All that's running is:

Settings 9.9MB

Google Play Services 7.6MB

Google Play Service 9.1MB

AFWall+ 2.5MB

Holo Launcher 6.8MB

Clean Master 23MB

Google Play Store 0.0B (Restarting)

Google Play Services 10MB

DSPManager 2.1MB

Calendar Storage 0.0B (Restarting)

Android keyboard (5.0MB)

I was going to give this phone to my Dad today but I can't until it's working properly and reliably, so I'd be grateful if anyone could help me straighten it out!

Guest rhen

Than

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Something's weird with the battery, as I just woke the phone today after not touching it for a couple of days and it showed 46% battery but within a few minutes of using it, without even turning the WiFi on, it's dropped to 21%.

I've got a bigger problem though, with the RAM usage.

Although the About screen reports that the phone has 394MB and Clean Master shows 347MB used out of 394MB, when I go to Running Apps, it shows 130MB used, 14MB free which makes no sense, especially considering that it showed 218MB free after I rebooted the other day.

All that's running is:

Settings 9.9MB

Google Play Services 7.6MB

Google Play Service 9.1MB

AFWall+ 2.5MB

Holo Launcher 6.8MB

Clean Master 23MB

Google Play Store 0.0B (Restarting)

Google Play Services 10MB

DSPManager 2.1MB

Calendar Storage 0.0B (Restarting)

Android keyboard (5.0MB)

I was going to give this phone to my Dad today but I can't until it's working properly and reliably, so I'd be grateful if anyone could help me straighten it out!

Don't use Clean Master and such (especially with low RAM phones) . It eats more RAM then it saves. Also try to kill your apps which is try to restarting itself, which is drain battery.

If you want to freeze some app from memory, use Greenify.

Guest doveman

Don't use Clean Master and such (especially with low RAM phones) . It eats more RAM then it saves. Also try to kill your apps which is try to restarting itself, which is drain battery.

If you want to freeze some app from memory, use Greenify.

Well it's convenient for preventing apps starting at boot and easily killing non-whitelisted apps to free up resources. Manually killing apps is a nightmare, as stopping them from Running apps doesn't always kill them and the only way to be sure is to Force Stop them from All apps, where you have to search through the entire list to find the app you're looking for and there's no indication which are running.

The issue isn't that the apps i have running are using too much RAM but that Running Apps is showing 128MB used, 14MB free, which totals 142MB, when in fact the phone has 394MB and after rebooting it shows the proper values in Running Apps. If it was just the reported values that were wrong, I might not worry but when it shows this the phone is extremely laggy and unusable (hence why I go to Running Apps to see if there's anything I can kill). So there appears to be a bug that's causing this behaviour, although I can't explain why lots of other people have been able to use this ROM without issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest maiato

I installed B2 version because I have CWM. The problem is I cant install apps from the play store and everytime i reboot my phone i get  message saying the Google Talks couldnt login.

Google talks doesnt mater to me because I dont use it. But I need to install apps from the store.

Anyone Can help me please?

Guest dalyer

I installed B2 version because I have CWM. The problem is I cant install apps from the play store and everytime i reboot my phone i get  message saying the Google Talks couldnt login.

Google talks doesnt mater to me because I dont use it. But I need to install apps from the store.

Anyone Can help me please?

Never had that problem.

I would suggest downloading again, sanity checking the zip (at least open it in the likes of 7Zip) and then clean reinstalling doing all relevant wipes/formats.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Claudioo

I was already in GBExtreme (b2) and I was thinking to lend the phone to a friend so I did a backup, wiped everything, install GBExtreme and reboot (all this in CWM). Now he stays in huawei logo and don´t do nothing. I know that the first time it takes a bit until start but I wait 15 minutes ( It should take only 5 minutes like the first topic says) The problem is that now I can't even go to cwm to restore the phone. Any suggestion?

Edited by Claudioo

Guest wbrambley

I was already in GBExtreme (b2) and I was thinking to lend the phone to a friend so I did a backup, wiped everything, install GBExtreme and reboot (all this in CWM). Now he stays in huawei logo and don´t do nothing. I know that the first time it takes a bit until start but I wait 15 minutes ( It should take only 5 minutes like the first topic says) The problem is that now I can't even go to cwm to restore the phone. Any suggestion?

it takes time until start

Force flash back to stock then use Fastboot to install your recovery again.