Questions about installing new rom: (JB) , (ICS) & (GB) on G300

Guest aimanmahir

Guest aimanmahir

Hello every one ,,

I have some questions about my u8815 ...

- I bought the phone unlocked with android 2.3.6 (GB) - baseband is 109808 - I have CWM recovery & i made a backup for my stock rom & when i rooted it i started to get some problems then i decided to install new roms .. 

So I started with (JB) roms .. actually installing them was easy by following the instructions in this great forum ,,,

But i read about (ICS) that it is smoother than (JB),, & when i wanted to install it i became confused ! :wacko:  ... coz in many (ICS) threads you read this :
You MUST be on the 2030 baseband to use this ROM" !

so in my case ,, what should i do if i wanted to use (ICS) roms especially the modified ones ?

& Can i go back to (GB) again by the option : backup/restore  in CWM recovery  if any problem happened ?   

please i need  to get detailed replies coz i am new in this things .  :blush: 

so in my case ,, what should i do if i wanted to use (ICS) roms especially the modified ones ?

If a ROM requires the 2030 baseband and you are on the 109808 baseband then you can install the former using this:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/361310-downgrade-upgrade-from-recovery/

Some ROMs will work on both basebands. In fact I think that most recent ones do so if you are looking at one that only works on one or other baseband then it may be an old ROM.

If you are running ICS or JB then you should unlock the bootloader officially to avoid 3G reboots. 

http://www.modaco.com/topic/362821-tutorial-how-to-officially-unlock-the-bootloader-with-definitions-relock-guide-included/

& Can i go back to (GB) again by the option : backup/restore  in CWM recovery  if any problem happened ?   

Yes but the CWM/Nandroid backup will most likely not restore the bootloader, baseband etc so you may have to do this using the link above.

Guest aimanmahir

Thanks dalyer  for the helpful info  :) 

- What is bootloader ?   :D  & maybe it is already unlocked ! :wacko:  how do I know ? 

- in the second link (http://www.modaco.co...guide-included/) i found this confusing line :

" You Only Need To Do This If Your Baseband Is 2030,(You can find this by going Settings > About Phone, and looking at the Baseband Version) It is not, then your bootloader is already unlocked "

is that means my device is already unlocked ?  :huh: 

Edited by aimanmahir

Thanks dalyer  for the helpful info  :) 

- What is bootloader ?   :D  & maybe it is already unlocked ! :wacko:  how do I know ? 

- in the second link (http://www.modaco.co...guide-included/) i found this confusing line :

is that means my device is already unlocked ?  :huh: 

Bootloader: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-bootloader-and-how-to-unlock-bootloader-on-android-phones-complete-guide/

The GB 19808 bootloader is inherently unlocked.

The ICS 2030 bootloader is locked.

To install custom ROMs you need an unlocked bootloader.

If you have the GB 19808 bootloader then you don't need to unlock it (and should not try as it can brick the phone!).

If you have the ICS 2030 bootloader then you need to unlock it.

You can do this the unofficial way (using BootloaderG300.exe which may result in instability/reboots) or the official way as per the tutorial above (either using the Huawei code or trying DC-Unlocker - see page 17 of the tutorial).

You can check if your ICS bootloader is locked using the unlocking tutorial but you need to be on stock ICS to do this.

If you already rooted and installed CWM then I wonder what guides you followed and if you also (unofficially) unlocked your ICS bootloader?

Many ROMs (even ICS/JB/KK) can run on the GB bootloader so just keeping the inherently unlocked GB bootloader installed and using it can be simpler than officially unlocking the ICS bootloader. (That's the course of action I chose in the end although I don't use my G300 any more).

The comment that you quote from the tutorial alludes to the fact that if you have the GB 19808 bootloader installed then it is already inherently unlocked and you don't need to unlock it - in fact you should not or you may brick your phone.

If I was you and really wanted to try ICS then I'd choose a good ROM that works on both basebands, install the GB baseband and bootloader using the "downgrade" zip in the thread above and then install the ROM. It just avoids the hassle of ICS bootloader unlocking (and having to revert to stock ICS etc.) and the instability of an unofficially unlocked ICS bootloader.

However I actually found that GB ROMs worked best and stuck with them (and the GB bootloader/baseband) in the end. I ended up with CM7 but SuperSlim, Slim and AtomicMod also seemed good. And now there's also GBEXTREME (http://www.modaco.com/topic/368846-romgb-b895-gbxtreme-rom-%E2%9C%B002022014%E2%9C%B0/).

Hope this helps.

Edited by dalyer

Guest aimanmahir

Thank you for this very useful answer ,, 

then i will choose to keep my mobile on the stock bootloader and the baseband ( 19808 ) ... but i really want to try the ICS cooked ROMs.. because the RAM in the ROM that i use now ( which is JB ) is getting low easily & the camera does not capture videos correctly.... so i installed one of the RAM cleaner applications and i have to click on clear ram every time that i want to use the heavy applications  or capture videos (which is VERY Annoying thing :angry2: )  ,,,  & in many threads that about ICS Roms  members says that the ram is good ! that‘s why i want to try ICS 

to root my device  i Followed the steps in http://www.huaweig300.com/  .... & for CWM i followed steps i founded in a thread in modaco forums   :) ,, 

in-fact .. I am looking for (ICS) roms that working on the both basebands  ! ,, ,,,

Much Thanks,,, 

Edited by aimanmahir

Cool that helped a lot, I tought the miui on its official site was jelly bean version cuz it said ver 4.2.2 but I hope its just ver of miui and isn't jb. l change script when I get home.

Isn't MIUI 5 v4.2.8 based on JB v4.2.2?

IDK, that is what i asked, but i flashed miui from narkoman(cm 9 based), just forgot to change scripts so there is some rushian things on it . So is there way to change that without reflashing rom , cuz ill have to reinstall all apps and re customize it if not ok doesnt really bother me :D. But it is fastest ICS rom i have tryied i got even fb app and alot of games and still 210mb ram free, its usually 120max ram on ics :D :D

IDK, that is what i asked, but i flashed miui from narkoman(cm 9 based), just forgot to change scripts so there is some rushian things on it . So is there way to change that without reflashing rom , cuz ill have to reinstall all apps and re customize it if not ok doesnt really bother me :D. But it is fastest ICS rom i have tryied i got even fb app and alot of games and still 210mb ram free, its usually 120max ram on ics :D :D

Search for ro.product.locale.language and ro.product.locale.region parameter in build.prop and change it to en and RS. (If Serbia's two character country code is RS)

Reboot. (I don't know if dalvik wipe required or not.)

Search for ro.product.locale.language and ro.product.locale.region parameter in build.prop and change it to en and RS. (If Serbia's two character country code is RS)

Reboot. (I don't know if dalvik wipe required or not.)

will do when not busy :D And i dont really need for RS, english is good :D

Edited by WhaTec

IDK, that is what i asked

Actually it's not quite clear what you're asking here...?!

I tought the miui on its official site was jelly bean version cuz it said ver 4.2.2 but I hope its just ver of miui and isn't jb.

But as far as I can see MIUI 5 v4.2.x is JB based.

will do when not busy :D And i dont really need for RS, english is good :D

RS is for the locale setting. For currency, timezone etc. You can use it in English with RS locale. It is a separate setting.

ok.... i dont wanna jb cuz will kill xinyh if was safe would do it :D

Hynix eMMC-s seems like more likely to die with any ROM.

The mass brick thing happened after the release of the CWM R4 which is based on the 3.4 kernel.

If you stay with the R3 CWM and don't use any ROM that uses the 3.4 kernel, you will be fine.

So the problem is related to the kernel, not the android version.

RS is for the locale setting. For currency, timezone etc. You can use it in English with RS locale. It is a separate setting.

Hynix eMMC-s seems like more likely to die with any ROM.

The mass brick thing happened after the release of the CWM R4 which is based on the 3.4 kernel.

If you stay with the R3 CWM and don't use any ROM that uses the 3.4 kernel, you will be fine.

So the problem is related to the kernel, not the android version.

So CWM from tillaz-s patch is R3? it is 5.2.0.8 , and if i install any Jb with 3.0.8 kernel ill be fine ? Cool to know that :D but i actally like miui i use now has some difficultys but it is pretty nice, and gb's i tried for huawei are usually faster then ics or jb but with more buggs .

So CWM from tillaz-s patch is R3? it is 5.2.0.8 , and if i install any Jb with 3.0.8 kernel ill be fine ? Cool to know that :D but i actally like miui i use now has some difficultys but it is pretty nice, and gb's i tried for huawei are usually faster then ics or jb but with more buggs .

No, but every CWM before the R4 uses the 3.0.8 kernel.

oh, K ill just stay on ics. Dont wanna risk it untill its shurely safe(daubt it will ever be), and U mean NO my cwm isnt safe or for JB?

I said no for this question: "So CWM from tillaz-s patch is R3?"

The other question is obvious, you will be fine with every ROM with 3.0.8 kernel.

All ROM uses this kernel except CM10.2 (only after 2013 august?) and CM11 (and CM11 based ROM-s) AFAIK.

Guest aimanmahir
Well .. looks like my topic is totally changed !  :huh: 

i do not mind ,,, but as last wish in my topic ,, i hope that someone show me some multi-baseband ICS roms ,, so i can try to use the G300 with less RAM problems >>(as some members said )

Thnx,,

i do not mind ,,, but as last wish in my topic ,, i hope that someone show me some multi-baseband ICS roms ,, so i can try to use the G300 with less RAM problems >>(as some members said )

Thnx,,

Just install Miui By narkoman88 based on cm9 i get 200mbs ram free i like interface and theemee changer is fantastic read other replys on this topic to change english from russina(only russian thing is in about phone and ota update and clock but still) Or idk go GB alot of free rum but bugs.

Thnx,,

Just look at the ICS ROMs in the Development forum that are multi baseband!

I don't see what the issue is here...?

But if you want my advice/suggestion - stick to GB ROMs and the GB baseband/bootloader - it's simpler and better (in my experience) all round.

Try the new GBXTREME maybe.

Edited by dalyer

Guest aimanmahir

yes i want to use GB roms i know it is very stable and faster than ICS or JB .. but there is features that isn't present in GB roms for example : the continuous auto-focus  during recording a video & the voice in the video is very bad ,,,, also some programs don't work with GB versions as Greenify or BBM messenger ...

i will search for (Miui By narkoman88) & hope it works on multibaseband ,,,

much thanks guys ,,  :)