Blade V won't boot to Recovery - please help

Guest mar_uk

Guest mar_uk

Hello Everyone,

I was playing with my new blade v unlocked re swap partition using Swapper for Root & Swapper 2 (for Root users) earlier and it did not job the job.

Rebooted the phone but it won’t boot to Recovery mode (press Volume up and Power button).  If I plug the phone into the PC, I can see few partitions (some I can can access, while others not).

6q8zug.jpg

Also, adb reboot bootloader gives me 'error: device not found'

What can I do?

Please help.

Guest shiftyc

Are you rooted?  Stock recovery or custom?

Have you tried typing

reboot recovery

in a terminal emulator?

What is it you're trying to get into recovery for?

Guest mar_uk

Hello,

Stock ROM - Phone won’t boot to the recovery mode let alone to Andorid - blank screen (no led lights, just a vibration to indicate that it has life).

If I connect to my PC via USB, it shows unknown drives and  “ZTE handset Diagnostic Interface” shows up on the device manager.

Tried adb reboot recovery (on my computer) and get error: device not found.

I was hoping there is a way to flash the phone, to bring to life….

Guest mar_uk

Yes, I did.....Yes, I may need to return it.

I was hoping that since it is communicating with the PC, can reinstall. Those drives on screenshot on my first post, is that normal. I am thinking whether Swapper has created some drives that causing this issue.

Guest shiftyc

Sorry, I don't know.  I could say that you should've done a nandroid backup before playing with it, but that's probably not very helpful.

Although it relates to the original Blade and not the Blade V, maybe something here may help?  It mentions the diagnostic mode.  Good luck.

Guest targetbsp

This is also not very helpful... but out of curiosity, why did you want a swap file on a phone whose biggest selling point is that it has an unusually large amount of RAM for a budget phone?

I tried those swapper programs on my last phone which didn't have much memory and they didn't work on it either.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest KonstaT

Hello Everyone,

I was playing with my new blade v unlocked re swap partition using Swapper for Root & Swapper 2 (for Root users) earlier and it did not job the job.

Rebooted the phone but it won’t boot to Recovery mode (press Volume up and Power button).  If I plug the phone into the PC, I can see few partitions (some I can can access, while others not).

Not the first device that I've heard of being bricked with swapper. With root there comes great responsibility. It's most likely because old mtd devices have external sdcard as /dev/block/mmcblk0. First partition is usually normal FAT partition, second EXT partition, and third the swap partition (/dev/block/mmcblk0p3). On more modern eMMC devices (like Blade V) the whole internal nand is /dev/block/mmcblk0 and external sdcard is /dev/block/mmcblk1. If you've done something to /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 on a Blade V, you've most likely wiped one of the bootloader partitions.

It's quite surprising that you can access your device's whole internal storage with your computer. If you knew what partition you've messed with and you had a backup of that partition (or could dump it from another device) there still might be some hope you could restore it with QPST.

Guest mar_uk

Thank you all,

shiftyc –  I saw the link in Method 5 (ZTE Firmware Flasher), tempted but seems to be  too old and don’t have an image to restore it.  It complains about partition.mbn missing as the firmware update package don’t have this. I am very tempted though….

Targetbsp – The only reason I can think of is because I was possessed, lol.
It all went well with link Link2SD but then read somewhere about swapper, etc, and I think got lost.

KonstaT – your analysis is which I think is right.  I did see /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 and it must have destroyed the partition. Or may swapper re FAT partition that I followed on youtube or somewhere that I really don’t understand…

I can access the 4 ext partition using Paragon ExtFS for Windows but not the fat 32 one. Disk internal Linux Reader shows volume name and seems to be the boot drive is missing.  I have copied files from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2436762 to these ext drive and don'twork (some you can't copy as well).

1z494yx.jpg

QPST shows the phone in download mode (similar to ZTE Firmware Flasher). I have another v5 (working) but don’t know how I can export as an image to flash using ZTE Firmware Flasher or QPST....any advise would be much appreciated.

Edited by mar_uk

Guest KonstaT
You can dump partitions from a working device in rooted shell with e.g.:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 of=/sdcard/mmcblk0p3.img
Iirc QPST has ability write raw partition data but I'm not sure if your device is connected in the right mode. You most certainly shouldn't use any ZTE tool (that isn't for your device) or copy any data in windows file explorer.

Guest mar_uk

Thanks KonstaT,

Downloaded QPST and when trying to back up as a test, it says "Port Does not contain a Phone in Diagnostics Mode.". It is in download mode.  I can do what you suggested but what to do next?

Guest KonstaT

Thanks KonstaT,

Downloaded QPST and when trying to back up as a test, it says "Port Does not contain a Phone in Diagnostics Mode.". It is in download mode.  I can do what you suggested but what to do next?

Return it to the shop and play dumb? :P

Guest KonstaT

You could try removing the battery, keeping both volume up and volume down keys pressed while connecting USB-cable and see in what mode it's recognized. I'm quite sure you'd need to have working recovery in FTM mode to do anything in QPST though...

Guest mar_uk

Thank you all for your assistance on this.

Virgin will replace the handset as it is within 14 days. :)

Here is what I have done that led me to the mess:

Rooted the phone Easy Rooting via Kingo Android ROOT http://www.kingoapp.com/android-root/download.htm.

Then applied ‘SD card swap for more storage’ and ‘enabling all apps to be moved to SD’. Then found out about Link2SD and installed it - I think all was good at this point.

However, phone was still complaining about low storage (which I found the culprit later - MyPhoneExplorer Client and one other application using Storage Analyser (LeveloKment) - hope its not this app, lol). This led me to play with with swapper 2 (Elviss Kuštans) & Swapper for Root (DevLab Technologies). Followed http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2126363 but it was not clear on the second part – wasn’t working. So ended up following http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QpKXJECidk also (don’t ask me why – I was having my lunch, lol)    :angry:

I am not sure exactly sure which app led me to this mess but I think KonstaT is spot on. Hope it is not Link2SD (working fine on the other phone with FAT partition).

Thank you for your help again, much appreciated. :)

Edited by mar_uk

Guest targetbsp

Aha!  That explains why you wanted a swap file.  I think you're confusing ram with storage.  Mobile phones unfortunately tend to use the term 'memory' in both cases.

Swapper would have done nothing to improve your storage capacity - it's to increase the amount of free RAM you have.  Which is why I was confused that you wanted it on a phone that has more ram than is usual for its class.