KitKat for Hudl...

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Guest Lister Of Smeg

.... any news?? ;-)

(sorry, couldnt resist a title like that, sure bet it made a few of you look...) lol

So, we was told a while ago that Tesco was investigating KK on the Hudl's.... Wondered if anyone has spoken to Tesco lately, what with faulty screens and what not...

... or, is it likely that we were the test ground to see how well Hudl's did, and will be forgotten about...

Cheers, Lister

Guest Justice™

Going to quote what user tonyworks said on another forum (I don't think direct naming/linking is allowed here)

Hi,

Just phoned Tesco.
"Update will be at the end of April". Don't hold your breath!!
They are still willing to change this one for another but I think I may hold on for a while longer as I am now getting very used to turning it off and on again. They said that they wanted to make sure this update will fix all the problems icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif

Hopefully that provides some indication towards when we might receive an update (KitKat or not), Tesco seem to be have very vague with any sort of communication in regards to updates/bug fixes 

Edited by Justice™

• 1 month later...
Guest Justice™

Going to bump this just to post a video that seemed to slip under most of our radars. It was posted by a Hungarian tech blog at some kind of trade show, and it demonstrates the hudl running pure 4.4 (no tesco add ons, just the launcher2 like GPE devices had and google apps). I have no idea if there is a kitkat firmware out there, but it seems entirely possible.

Link to the video:

Guest flurry

that video appears to have been uploaded on the 15th Jan - I'd have thought we would have heard something by now about it if it was going to be released?

Guest Justice™

I would think so too, hopefully they're working on the branded software (which could explain the hold up), however with news this morning confirming a Hudl 2 and high end smartphone from tesco I am beginning to doubt if we'll ever see KitKat on the original Hudl

Guest flurry

given how bodged and shonky the original branded software was it would seem unlikely it's taking them this long to do the same for kitkat - you'd think it would be quicker second time around for them too?

I'm not exactly knowledgable on compiling android from source, what are we missing to be able to compile kitkat for the hudl ourselves?

Guest Justice™

I guess integration of the original tesco software should be a pretty quick process, especially when kitkat is ready to go.

I'm not sure what we're missing to build kitkat, we have the tesco kernel sources and the rockchip kitkat sdk, so someone just needs to put it all together.

Guest flurry

I guess integration of the original tesco software should be a pretty quick process, especially when kitkat is ready to go.

I'm not sure what we're missing to build kitkat, we have the tesco kernel sources and the rockchip kitkat sdk, so someone just needs to put it all together.

Indeed, I would be surprised if it was taking them this long!

Hmm, I'm not sure why I was under the impression that some hardware specific source information was missing to be able to compile kitkat for it - seems deceptively simple if it's just a case of using the kernel source and rockchip kitkat sdk...

Guest Justice™

Indeed, I would be surprised if it was taking them this long!

Hmm, I'm not sure why I was under the impression that some hardware specific source information was missing to be able to compile kitkat for it - seems deceptively simple if it's just a case of using the kernel source and rockchip kitkat sdk...

I don't think we're missing anything to compile kitkat for the hudl, I'm not sure on the openness/availability of the rockchip SDK however, so that could end up being a limiting factor. Of course, I may have over-simplified the requirements for getting kitkat on the hudl, hopefully I haven't though. 

I took a few screenshots of the video posted, and the build of kitkat on the hudl seems to be from around December 31st. It also seems to have no connection to tesco (even down to the kernel build host which would normally contain something to do with tesco). Maybe rockchip themselves compiled the build demonstrated for presentation at a trade show.

Guest flurry

I don't think we're missing anything to compile kitkat for the hudl, I'm not sure on the openness/availability of the rockchip SDK however, so that could end up being a limiting factor. Of course, I may have over-simplified the requirements for getting kitkat on the hudl, hopefully I haven't though. 

I took a few screenshots of the video posted, and the build of kitkat on the hudl seems to be from around December 31st. It also seems to have no connection to tesco (even down to the kernel build host which would normally contain something to do with tesco). Maybe rockchip themselves compiled the build demonstrated for presentation at a trade show.

Would the rockchip SDK be device specific? I'm eager to have a crack at compiling it if I can, but I'm not easily understanding what I'm finding on google!

Well spotted and a good point, it's more likely to be a third party, maybe Rockchip as you mention or possibly the hardware manufacturer?

Guest Justice™

Would the rockchip SDK be device specific? I'm eager to have a crack at compiling it if I can, but I'm not easily understanding what I'm finding on google!

Well spotted and a good point, it's more likely to be a third party, maybe Rockchip as you mention or possibly the hardware manufacturer?

The basic rockchip SDK isn't device specific (basically why I was able to boot kitkat on the hudl previously), however the kernel will most likely have to be built from the tesco source due to differences in configuration and such. 

Guest flurry

The basic rockchip SDK isn't device specific (basically why I was able to boot kitkat on the hudl previously), however the kernel will most likely have to be built from the tesco source due to differences in configuration and such. 

okay, that makes sense so far, but I think I'm going to have to read more before I have a go at this