Hudl 1.3.1 Update

Guest menace1944

Guest flurry

aah good! Hopefully someone wiser than me will be able to add root to it and we'll have access back again

I've now got to the point that I've copied off my v1.3.1 ROM as an .img and mounted it in windows 7 with OSFMount, supposedly with read and write access, yet I can't write to the image at all. This is frustrating. Are there any other programmes that will mount these images?

EDIT: May have made progress, seems that the image from RKFlashtool is ext2, I've managed to get it mounted in OSX so I can edit the files, hopefully it'll work to flash back!

Edited by flurry

Guest flurry

Right, I mounted the system image, added in the su binary and daemonsu into /xbin, superuser.apk into /app and init.d into /etc from the original rooted V1.3 ROM - boots fine, but still no root! What's going on here? Should it be in /bin not /xbin?

Guest sirius-c

I'm sorry Ive no idea.

The stock rom v1.3.1 (Linux Backup) is still uploading....25 mins left apparently!

Once thats up im going to try the kingo method on my Hudl to hopefully achieve root, if thats a success then i'll upload a linux backup of that too.

after that i'll use the modaco toolkit, fingers crossed it'll get rid of the "T" button on this newer Rom.....then I'll restore a titanium backup, all sounds too easy, somethings got to go wrong lol

Edited by sirius-c

Guest flurry

At some point when I have root back I'll check if this update altered the SystemUI.apk at all - if it has I'll make an updated version of my custom one and upload it.

As for now I might as well try the kingo method as a last attempt

EDIT: it only takes one of us to get a successfully rooted v1.3.1 image and upload it and we'll all be set!

Edited by flurry

Guest sirius-c

Here is a RAR file containing a backup of the latest Un-Rooted stock Rom (v1.3.1) which contains the screen fix apparently....time will tell.
Hudl_Stock_Backup_v1.3.1_(JDQ39.20140424.153851).rar
(808,754,471 Bytes)

and here is a RAR file containing the same stock backup but this one is a ROOTED stock ROM (v1.3.1)
(ROOTED)_Hudl_Stock_Backup_v1.3.1_(JDQ39.20140424.153851).rar
(809,163,663 bytes)

and finally....
here is a RAR file containing another backup, this one is a ROOTED stock Rom (v1.3.1) and has ClockworkMod Recovery (v6.0.3.1) Installed.
(ROOTED & CWMR)_Hudl_Stock_Backup_v1.3.1_(JDQ39.20140424.153851).rar
(809,190,185 bytes)

non of these backups can be used in their current form with the windows rktools17 program.

Windows Users see here

To make these backups I used the the linux backup script created by "glossywhite" & CaptainMidnight" inside a Linux virtual Image of "Ubuntu 64-bit (v12.04.3)" running on a Windows 7 Pro Box.

You can restore/Flash these backups to your Hudl using the restore script for linux in post #10 here:-  http://www.modaco.com/topic/365672-hudl-backup-script-under-review-re-write/

Big Thanks to forum members "glossywhite" & "CaptainMidnight" for the Linux Backup/Restore Script and Instruction available here:- http://www.modaco.com/topic/365672-hudl-backup-script-under-review-re-write/
also a big thanks to forum member "SifJar" for providing the necessary links to the software tools needed here:- http://www.modaco.com/topic/366230-tools-useful-tools-for-tinkerers/
and last but not least, big thanks to the software dev's for the tools used.

Edited by sirius-c

Guest sirius-c

it only takes one of us to get a successfully rooted v1.3.1 image and upload it and we'll all be set!

Kingo reports Ive got root, will test then upload another stock backup but this time rooted

Guest flurry

great work sirius-c, if you can upload the files I should be able to make an image of it

EDIT: so far I'm really struggling by trying to add in the original root files, I've added in everything I can find, including the busybox binary now, and the hudl can see the su binary, but has no root access to it

Edited by flurry

Guest sirius-c

Well, I wouldn't bother now, I can confidently confirm I've got a v1.3.1 stock rooted backup for you :)

Only trouble is it'll take an hour to upload.....Just about to RAR it up and upload

Guest flurry

Indeed, though it's bugging me that I can't work out what's causing it to fail!

Hopefully I can successfully create an img from your rar file

Guest sirius-c

Indeed, though it's bugging me that I can't work out what's causing it to fail!

It'll be something simple you've overlooked, its sod's law.

Anyhow, Rooted version is being uploaded to my dropbox as we speak......1 hour left according to dropbox.

Next mission.....Clockwork Mod Recovery

Guest flurry

It'll be something simple you've overlooked, its sod's law.

Anyhow, Rooted version is being uploaded to my dropbox as we speak......1 hour left according to dropbox.

Next mission.....Clockwork Mod Recovery

Definitely, I thought I'd sussed it when I found busybox wasn't in /bin/ - added it to no avail. At least I should be able to compare the contents of your .rar with the contents of my .img and work out what's different. As much as I normally refuse to admit defeat, I think I'll give up and wait for your file to upload, thanks for your work!

Clockwork Mod should just be a case of flashing the recovery image again shouldn't it?

Guest sirius-c

Clockwork Mod should just be a case of flashing the recovery image again shouldn't it?

Thats the theory :)

If that's successful, I'll upload that backup too.....

If you could confidentley create flashable IMG's for windows users that would be fantastic....I'll replace the Linux backups on my dropbox with those for others to use

Guest flurry

Thats the theory :)

If that's successful, I'll upload that backup too.....

If you could confidentley create flashable IMG's for windows users that would be fantastic....I'll replace the Linux backups on my dropbox with those for others to use

confidently may be over stating it currently! I'm fairly confident I can make flashable images for the linux version of rkflashtool, though I'm not sure they work on rktools on windows? I'll have to look into it

Guest sirius-c

confidently may be over stating it currently! I'm fairly confident I can make flashable images for the linux version of rkflashtool, though I'm not sure they work on rktools on windows? I'll have to look into it

Well I'm the biggest Micro$haft Minion there ever was, I keep tinkering with linux, but it seems a bit too much for my fragile little mind lol.....I keep trying and dabbling though :)

Guest flurry

I'm downloading one of the images from the "Stock Hudl ROM for RKTools" thread at the moment to see if it's in the same ext2 format as the images I use with the linux rkflashtool. I'm hoping that they're just different implementations of the same thing built for different OS's, so that the same images will work with both. However, that seems far too simple!

EDIT: Currently not a fan of windows as it's giving me endless driver issues when I try to use the kingo app

EDIT 2: this isn't looking promising that they're in the same format, I think the windows img's are ext4 rather than the linux ext2. I'll have a look into a way to solve this tomorrow

Edited by flurry

Guest sirius-c

I'm downloading one of the images from the "Stock Hudl ROM for RKTools" thread at the moment to see if it's in the same ext2 format as the images I use with the linux rkflashtool. I'm hoping that they're just different implementations of the same thing built for different OS's, so that the same images will work with both. However, that seems far too simple!

EDIT: Currently not a fan of windows as it's giving me endless driver issues when I try to use the kingo app

EDIT 2: this isn't looking promising that they're in the same format, I think the windows img's are ext4 rather than the linux ext2. I'll have a look into a way to solve this tomorrow

It was never gonna be interoperable, that'd be too easy.....Im sure someone will take the headache out of it and do it for us all, unless of course youre on a mission :)

8 Mins until rooted upload is done.

Guest flurry

It was never gonna be interoperable, that'd be too easy.....Im sure someone will take the headache out of it and do it for us all, unless of course youre on a mission :)

8 Mins until rooted upload is done.

given my current success rate tonight I suspect attempting it may not go well!

Guest sirius-c

given my current success rate tonight I suspect attempting it may not go well!

well it is late...Bed time for me now.

Ive updated post #56 with the link for the rooted backup

Edited by sirius-c

Guest flurry

awesome work! It seems I can mount and look through the img's you've uploaded, so I'm having a go at flashing the system.img now to see if it gives me root back. How did you create the full dump of all the imgs?

EDIT: even better, the image flashes just fine in the linux version of rkflashtool - I have root back! I'm going to silence the startup sound and remove the tesco bloat, then I'll look at seeing if the SystemUI.apk has been updated, if so I'll make a new custom version of it

EDIT 2: having compared the v1.3 SystemUI.apk to the new SystemUI.apk there is a single bite difference in file size. I'm not sure whether it's worth me decompliing it and editing it, as my original custom SystemUI.apk still works fine with the v1.3.1 rom

I'm still not sure why my attempt at adding the root files failed though, and I don't really fancy flashing a few more times to work out what it was! I seemed to be getting a UID or GID error - something's permissions weren't set right?

Edited by flurry

Guest sirius-c

awesome work! It seems I can mount and look through the img's you've uploaded, so I'm having a go at flashing the system.img now to see if it gives me root back. How did you create the full dump of all the imgs?

EDIT: even better, the image flashes just fine in the linux version of rkflashtool - I have root back! I'm going to silence the startup sound and remove the tesco bloat, then I'll look at seeing if the SystemUI.apk has been updated, if so I'll make a new custom version of it

Good news, Im glad the uploads are working, hopefully they'll benefit more Hudl users :)

Im running Windows 7 Pro and have VMware workstation installed on it. I created a Linux virtual image using the Ubuntu 64-bit (v12.04.3) ISO.....

then i simply plugged in the hudl and followed the instructions in post #10 in this thread:- http://www.modaco.com/topic/365672-hudl-backup-script-under-review-re-write/

EDIT 2: having compared the v1.3 SystemUI.apk to the new SystemUI.apk there is a single bite difference in file size. I'm not sure whether it's worth me decompliing it and editing it, as my original custom SystemUI.apk still works fine with the v1.3.1 rom

is this where you obtained the modified system.ui from?

http://www.modaco.com/topic/365572-modified-systemui-without-tesco-button/

Edited by sirius-c

Guest flurry

Good news, Im glad the uploads are working, hopefully they'll benefit more Hudl users :)

Im running Windows 7 Pro and have VMware workstation installed on it. I created a Linux virtual image using the Ubuntu 64-bit (v12.04.3) ISO.....

then i simply plugged in the hudl and followed the instructions in post #10 in this thread:- http://www.modaco.com/topic/365672-hudl-backup-script-under-review-re-write/

is this where you obtained the modified system.ui from?

http://www.modaco.com/topic/365572-modified-systemui-without-tesco-button/

I'll have a look at that post now then and see if I can digest it - I'm fairly comfortable with linux, I've run ubuntu in a virtual machine for a while now so hopefully I'll have more success than I was having using windows

The modified SystemUI.apk I use is the one I created myself, found at the end of this thread. It aligns the immersive mode dots and keeps everything centred