Hudl 1.3.1 Update

Guest menace1944

Guest flurry

"Push it in quickly and then my pc makes these noices which I think a device is connected and then when I let go it does it again and then opens up battery level."

it sounds like the first time your computer makes a noise the hudl's in the right mode, then it reverts to charging mode. Try releasing the holding the vol+ for longer, or releasing it at the same time as you're pressing reset - maybe it's down to timing

the other thing to try is to boot normally so it brings you to the update screen, then try the reset button - this will tell you if your reset button is working properly and if you're pressing it hard enough and with something thin enough (doesn't seem to require a lot of force though)

I've blowen away my custom hudl build back to v1.3, manually OTA upgraded to v1.3.1 and I'm now off to run it through a ROM kitchen to creata a v1.3.1 windows installation package - if all goes well.

I'm also looking into the in's and out's of converting backup images to the single .IMG file version which Paul has been using in this thread.

Slight delay will be me recreating a dual boot laptop with Debian as my trusty laptop got partially rebuilt a couple of weeks back and I'd left off a Debian partition untill I needed more space for a given project than a VM would easiily offer (don't like my VM's being too big).

Edited by Guest

Guest flurry

run it through a ROM kitchen to creata a v1.3.1 windows installation package 

could you link to the ROM kitchen? I'd be interested to see what it does and how it works

Guest Codmadnesspro

I tried a few more times and it still either doesn't come up or either it goes to baterry level.

Could someone do I quick video of them selves putting it into bootloader?

Guest flurry

I tried a few more times and it still either doesn't come up or either it goes to baterry level.

Could someone do I quick video of them selves putting it into bootloader?

will the reset button reset the tablet when it's booted to the update screen?

"doesn't come up" sounds right - nothing shows on the screen when it's in bootloader mode - it appears as if it's off

Edited by flurry

Guest Codmadnesspro

Sometimes i do it I hear a noice and nothing comes up but when I look at the rktools it hasnt detected the hudl

could you link to the ROM kitchen? I'd be interested to see what it does and how it works

Of course, sharing is the way ahead, it's over on Freaktab.com and the strart of the thread can be found here. Please post anything kitchen related to his thread/forum etc as I'm just using great tools produced by others and all the credit is rightly theirs.  :ninja:

Guest flurry

Sometimes i do it I hear a noice and nothing comes up but when I look at the rktools it hasnt detected the hudl

that sounds like you're booted to the bootloader but don't have the right drivers installed for rktools to see the hudl. This isn't something I know anything about as I don't use windows, but I'm sure I saw something on this forum about someone having problems with drivers. What version of windows are you on?

alternatively, do you have a linux system or access to one? (or install one in a virtual machine as I did)

Guest flurry

Of course, sharing is the way ahead, it's over on Freaktab.com and the strart of the thread can be found here. Please post anything kitchen related to his thread/forum etc as I'm just using great tools produced by others and all the credit is rightly theirs.  :ninja:

cheers CaptainMidnight!

Guest Codmadnesspro

that sounds like you're booted to the bootloader but don't have the right drivers installed for rktools to see the hudl. This isn't something I know anything about as I don't use windows, but I'm sure I saw something on this forum about someone having problems with drivers. What version of windows are you on?

alternatively, do you have a linux system or access to one? (or install one in a virtual machine as I did)

I have a windows 8.1 which dosn't install adb drives so im using a acer windows 7 laptop.

I have a raspberry pi which is based on debian.

Guest flurry

I have a windows 8.1 which dosn't install adb drives so im using a acer windows 7 laptop.

I have a raspberry pi which is based on debian.

I'm not sure it's adb drivers you need.

Flashing it from a raspi sounds like a potential headache!

EDIT: seems the drivers you'll need are in the rktools17 folder that you downloaded, in the rockusbdriver folder. Instructions are clarified a bit in this post

Edited by flurry

Guest flurry

With both solutions I posted, option 1 includes windows drivers for the software used to flash in bootloader mode.

apologies for missing that, I paid no attention to the windows options when rooting mine!

Guest flurry

Wait...How can install the drivers if it wont even dectect the hudl?

does it see it in the windows device manager? probably as an unknown device or similar

I thought you said you were trying to connect to the hudl in bootloader mode on both your win8.1 and win7 laptops?

Anyway that doesn't really matter: -

1. Have the hudl turned off.

2. Connect it to your laptop.

3. Hold the 'up' volume in.

4. Press the reset on the back of the hudl via a safety pin etc.

5. Release the volume 'up' button.

6. Find in device manager the new or unkown device and install the driver etc.

No matter what state the hudl is in i.e. on,off,part booted up etc, using holding in the volume up button and pressing the reset button via the hole on the back will reboot the hudl into bootloader mode - mine will just sit in bootloader mode until I either do something with it or reset it.

If it's properly in bootloader mode a 'single' press of the power button will do nothing - if it does do something you're not in bootloader mode.

As a final 'in my experience' note, you may need to use a different usb port on your laptop/computer. My laptop prefers to work with the hudl in bootloader mode and normal MTD mode via a true USB 2 port not a USB 3 port.

............. off to play with my debian partition.  :ninja:

Edited by Guest

Guest Codmadnesspro

Ok so it detects it when i hold the powerbutton and in the devices manager it says Portable Devices>>Hudl.

As I still cannot put it into bootloader.

I couldn't do it on windows 8.1 as when i used the adb installer it says its not compatible but anyway this one has win7.

Is it possible to flash it on the rasp pi without bootloader?

Guest flurry

Ok so it detects it when i hold the powerbutton and in the devices manager it says Portable Devices>>Hudl.

As I still cannot put it into bootloader.

I couldn't do it on windows 8.1 as when i used the adb installer it says its not compatible but anyway this one has win7.

Is it possible to flash it on the rasp pi without bootloader?

can you install the drivers from the rockusbdrivers folder? I don't think you need adb to flash

As for the raspi - do you have a full desktop install of debian on it? Does it have a spare, powered, usb port?