Best bug free / stable Kitkat (4.4) ROM?

Guest tooplanx

Guest tooplanx

Hi all.

I've been using the B199 'Ultra-light' ROM by Jaccs for a while and, while it's better than the others I've tried, it still crashes and redraws and generally slooooooowwwwss down a lot.

My gf recently got a WP8 with worse specs than my Y300 and I can't help but notice how buttery smooth and stable her phone is. I'm getting pretty frustrated with how slow and buggy the Y300 is, even though the specs should be capable of more.

I've just been reading about how Kitkat is meant to much lighter with its use of RAM - is this true? And if so, can anyone recommend any good stable KitKat ROMs for the Y300?

Failing that, can anyone tell me anyway to make this phone more usable: I'm considering a downgrade to Gingerbread even. Or a completely different OS or something.

Thanks!

Guest mockingbird

Even with kitkat , your exprience won't be butter smooth , mainly because of the low ram . I'm currently using Slimkat 4.8 and it's fine in terms of stability and performance.

Guest tooplanx

OK, cool. 

Would you say SlimKat is more reliable / less likely to crash due to low RAM than < 4.4 ROMs?

Thanks

Edited by tooplanx

Guest Cygnet's

OK, cool. 

Would you say SlimKat is more reliable / less likely to crash due to low RAM than < 4.4 ROMs?

Thanks

Slimkat is a good ROM, i've been using it for about a month now. I still try other ROMs but i still go back to Slimkat and yes, its reliable.

Guest LotR656

Slimkat is a good ROM, i've been using it for about a month now. I still try other ROMs but i still go back to Slimkat and yes, its reliable.

Do you have random reboots?

Guest Cygnet's

Do you have random reboots?

I'm using Slimkat 4.9 and i have'nt had any random reboots. I'm yet to update to slimkat 5 to check it out.

Guest LotR656

I'm using Slimkat 4.9 and i have'nt had any random reboots. I'm yet to update to slimkat 5 to check it out.

Well, I used SlimKat 5 for some time, but I get random reboots when I want to play some games (like Clash of Clash, this is not an ad) or if I want to use 2 apps (music app and FB messenger). Do you have similar problem with 4.9 and do you use your phone a lot?

Guest tooplanx

Could anyone compare the stability and responsiveness of Slimkat to something like Fusion X or another stock based ROM?

Thanks.

Also, I'm looking for something that is 100% bug free. I don't want to go through the hassle of changing ROM only to find that I can't watch youtube videos or skype calls don't work etc.

Guest LotR656
Could anyone compare the stability and responsiveness of Slimkat to something like Fusion X or another stock based ROM? Thanks. Also, I'm looking for something that is 100% bug free. I don't want to go through the hassle of changing ROM only to find that I can't watch youtube videos or skype calls don't work etc.
Well, I was user of SlimKat, but like I said, I had random reboots when I use Skype. But SlimKat is the best KitKat ROM for our phones. It have a lot of free RAM and it is very customizable, and I can say really smooth. But only problem is stability. If you want to use some stock based ROM, I suggest you FusionX Reborn. It is same like FusionX from tillaz, but this one is updated. Currently I use FusionX Reborn for about 9 days. Link of FusionX Reborn: http://www.modaco.com/topic/371864-rom411y300g510-fusionx-reborn-v20-beta-preview-05152014/ And install v1.1.5, because v2 is beta. There is images to make your decision easier. :) This images is from FusionX Reborn. post-1036825-14001866574429_thumb.jpgpost-1036825-14001866686192_thumb.jpg Edited by LotR656

Guest tooplanx

Thank you.

Have you used any of the other Slimkat versions, like 4.8? Are any of them stable and bug free?

I'm desperate to get better performance out of this phone and was hoping a Kitkat ROM might offer some improvement due to 'Project Svelt'.

Guest LotR656

I didnt test them, but you can try Slim+, it says that it is stable. When you flash that ROM dont upgrade, if you dont have random reboots or some bigger bugs. Yeah I know how you fell. I love KitKat, but it is unstable right now for our phones. But CM develop KitKat for Huawei G510 to be stable. So you can use Slim+ or try some stock based ROMs until stable KitKat.

Guest Cygnet's

Well, I used SlimKat 5 for some time, but I get random reboots when I want to play some games (like Clash of Clash, this is not an ad) or if I want to use 2 apps (music app and FB messenger). Do you have similar problem with 4.9 and do you use your phone a lot?

i have used both the music app and FB messenger and i haven't had any reboots, and yes i use my phone a lot, almost all the time.

Guest LotR656

i have used both the music app and FB messenger and i haven't had any reboots, and yes i use my phone a lot, almost all the time.

I must to try it again then. Can you reply me the link of ROM that you use?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest clashcityrocker

Tried Slimkat on a Y300 today and it's ALMOST perfect.   The only problem is a reboot as soon as I try and play music from Google Play music (streaming music, not on device).

Seems pretty repeatable.   Interestingly, a radio player app that streams music works OK.

Running the 5.4 update that the SlimKat updater downloaded for me.

Guest matbeard

Tried Slimkat on a Y300 today and it's ALMOST perfect.   The only problem is a reboot as soon as I try and play music from Google Play music (streaming music, not on device).

Same problem with Slimkat 5.6 on a G510 - reboot immediately when trying to stream from Google Play Music. This is a real shame, 'cos I use that a lot.

I've tried quite a few custom ROM's including: CM10 Gamer by jaccs, CM10.1 Expert V4 Final by toliao, CM10.1 Cyano-S4 by tirimosqui and several SimKat ones. I'm now CM11.0 CyanogenMod by dazzozo and I think the latter is the best.

Guest tooplanx

For a few weeks now I've been using the Slimkat 4.9 that Cygnet posted further up the page, and all in all I think it the best ROM I've used- mainly due to the vast performance improvement and features of Kitkat.

Unfortunately, it is not without bugs. The biggest one is the random reboots - not that often, but they do happen. Seems like using youtube is one particular thing that can lead to it. I also get a few unresponsive programme messages now and again, but often this doesn't actually stop the programme working. 

Another minor thing I've noticed is that the 'inverted colours' mode in the stock browser doesn't seem to work. There maybe a couple of other minor niggles that I've forgotten.

Overall though, I prefer it to all the other ROMs because it is much more usable and fluid than all the others I've tried, so I can forgive a few non critical bugs. Better than using the non 4.4 ROMs which are 'bug free' but frustratingly laggy and unstable most of the time.

I haven't used the SlimCentre upgrade yet as I wasn't sure whether it was safe to use this method (as the y300 isn't officially supported).

Does anyone know if you have to wipe everything again if you update through the SlimCentre, or can you just update with all your apps / settings in place?

Guest LotR656

I don't know for you guys, but I don't have any bugs. I used SlimKat ROM for about a week and change it, because it is slow for me and my needs. Now I am using Fluffy ROM based on CM 10 with different kernel. It is good for now, but I am still looking for other ROMs. Maybe I should flash FusionX Reborn again or to find some better kernel.

edit:

I looked some topics and I found this for people who like SlimKat ROM but have random reboots. Try to flash kernel from this topic it is based on stock kernel.

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?/topic/372567-[KERNEL]-[Y300/G510]-Synopsis-Kernel-For-all-Cyangenmod-versions#entry2214100

Edited by LotR656

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tooplanx

Hi, just an update on my experiences with Slimkat:

After all I said above, I realised that GPS wasn't working at all - it simply wouldn't turn on. So I decided to upgrade to the latest slimkat version (5.6 I think). Did thisOTA and wiped cache and dalvik like instructed.

Unfortunately, I still can't get GPS to work and the phone is still pretty buggy, in fact more buggy than the previous version. My lock screen would go beserk and / or freeze up whenever an app would try to override / interact with it (such as my alarm) and one day it rebooted and seemed like it had reset alot of settings. When this happened I also lost the ability to find or connect to any network and I noticed the apn had disappeared. I reflashed the ROM and got network back (for now anyway!).

I also have a weird bug that seems to half block out images when using the stock browser - I get large white spaces across images and websites.

Phone generally seems slow again and lots of these bugs are appearing, some of which are critical (no gps and network!).

I don't know if this is a problem with the upgrade I did so I think I'll try doing a clean install, but I'm looking at the Expert v4 ROM which I've heard lots of good things about.

I'll try to keep this thread updated with how I get on...

Edited by tooplanx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LotR656

so I think I'll try doing a clean install...

I think that is the main reason why you have all that problems. Try clear install and you will see that ROM is good.

Guest tooplanx

Hi, just another update.

I did a clean install of 5.9 and it is working beautifully now: really smooth and stable, all the issues have gone away aside one minor one. Haven't had any random reboots and the location / gps seems to be working fine.

Only issue now is the random white spaces blocking out some images when using the browser. It only seems to do this on largish images. Very happy with it now. Though ultimately this is still a very weak device and sometimes struggles to have two processes running at once (using the browser in desktop mode sometimes causes everything else including the launcher to close).

Edited by tooplanx