[DEV][ROM][1.8.] CAF Firefox OS - B2G

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

For some reason when I install this as secondary ROM in multirom it crashes in setup. Any ideas why?

No idea, you better ask the multirom dev(s). Personally I have zero interest in looking into multirom.

@KonstaT What about using GPE 4.4.4 vendor files?

And why would I do that?

Guest KonstaT

Because they are working with a caf kernel. And Firefox os is using a caf kernel, but camera libs won't work.

Do you even know what you're talking about? Technically every Qualcomm device out there has a 'CAF' kernel (with OEM/ODM modifications for the hardware they've used/diverged from the platform reference design). Afaik both GPE and 'normal' Moto G kernel are built from the same kernel branch with no notable differences. Kernel I'm using on my Firefox OS build is based on CyanogenMod kernel (tagged CAF release Motorola started off with -> Motorola additions/modifications for their hardware -> More CAF cherry-picks by CM guys and myself).

Do you even know what you're talking about? Technically every Qualcomm device out there has a 'CAF' kernel (with OEM/ODM modifications for the hardware they've used/diverged from the platform reference design). Afaik both GPE and 'normal' Moto G kernel are built from the same kernel branch with no notable differences. Kernel I'm using on my Firefox OS build is based on CyanogenMod kernel (tagged CAF release Moto started of with -> Motorola additions/modifications for their hardware -> More CAF cherry-picks by CM guys and myself).

I just had an idea.

Thanks you for your clear explanation, I know understand the error I made thinking that :-D

• 5 weeks later...
Guest KonstaT

hi KonstaT. Is this project still alive and if so, will the release of cm12 make any difference?

Only that I'm too busy with CM12 porting to work on anything else. :P I'd guess it's going to take at least half an year for Firefox OS to switch to a Lollipop base (if ever) so that has absolutely nothing to with anything here.

Project (B2G-CAF) is not dead, there's just not much point in releasing a new build that is essentially the same as the last one. It wasn't even too long ago I updated the sources to the latest CAF tag and released an Open C build. There's basic build instructions on readme here and some caveats discussed here if you want to build it yourself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest theintrepid

hi @KonstaT

am trying to compile b2g using your github but am getting a freeze(?) here -

cat  >> /Volumes/android/B2G/out/target/product/falcon/gaia_distribution/partner-prefs.js

any pointers (note i am noob in compiling)

thanks!

edit/ i am trying to compile on osx

Hello, I have this issue. I use ubuntu 14.10 64bit

My console history : http://pastebin.com/Ek1Lczab

EDIT : 

I think the line 38 in "device/qcom/b2g_common/gaia_settings/Android.mk" file is wrong :

mkdir -p $(@D)
    cp mkdir -p $(@D) cp $< $@ cat $(EXTRA_PARTNER_PREFS_FILE) >> $@ lt; $@
    cat $(EXTRA_PARTNER_PREFS_FILE) >> $@

"$(EXTRA_PARTNER_PREFS_FILE)" was NULL

Edited by theintrepid

Guest KonstaT
LOL, we have the history's first Firefox OS winzipper. XDA of course, who would have guessed... :D

If someone makes a new build from my sources (this doesn't count as one though), I'd hope you'd at least have the courtesy of posting it here before posting it somewhere else. I've open sourced my work for a reason and I'd also hope that what ever changes/modifications made, are kept public in the spirit of open source (none of this would be possible without that in the first place).

Few notes on the aledged changes:
1. Update Gecko/Gaia with CAF LNX.LF.3.5.1-11900-8x10.0
2. Add more Gaia languages (ar, fr ,nl, ru, tr, zh-TW)
3. Update kernel with source
1. Sounds about right, but that's all that was changed (only system/b2g directory replaced from my latest build with your favorite zip tool :P).
2. Some of these locales are already included by default (ar, fr, zh-TW). The rest won't be included unless you add them to the Gaia configuration (see here and here). I don't see any new locales in your Gaia.
3. Where is the kernel source (it's GPLv2, you're obligated to provide it)? If you're using my kernel source, there hasn't been any changes after my last build. In that case, another no op here. 

Guest theintrepid

LOL, we have the history's first Firefox OS winzipper. XDA of course, who would have guessed... :D

If someone makes a new build from my sources (this doesn't count as one though), I'd hope you'd at least have the courtesy of posting it here before posting it somewhere else. I've open sourced my work for a reason and I'd also hope that what ever changes/modifications made, are kept public in the spirit of open source (none of this would be possible without that in the first place).

Few notes on the aledged changes:
1. Sounds about right, but that's all that was changed (only system/b2g directory replaced from my latest build with your favorite zip tool :P).
2. Some of these locales are already included by default (ar, fr, zh-TW). The rest won't be included unless you add them to the Gaia configuration (see here and here). I don't see any new locales in your Gaia.
3. Where is the kernel source (it's GPLv2, you're obligated to provide it)? If you're using my kernel source, there hasn't been any changes after my last build. In that case, another no op here. 

They are no winzip for linux :P

With your old build, with French language, I have some English word in system app (app name, search bar) and with my "build" I resolve this issue.

Guest KonstaT

They are no winzip for linux :P

With your old build, with French language, I have some English word in system app (app name, search bar) and with my "build" I resolve this issue.

But are you familiar with the concept of winzipping? It's quite a popular thing around XDA. :P I usually refer to 'your favorite zip tool' for that very reason as a Linux user myself.

Indeed, you managed to update some translations for the languages that were already included (Arabic, French, Chinese). :)

• 1 month later...
Guest KonstaT
Finally took the time to really debug what's going on with that camera. It was a problem related to Motorola's proprietary camera libs that are meant for Android - not for B2G. Long story short, Firefox OS doesn't have (Android) Zygote and system_server which are responsible for starting (Android) SensorService. Motorola's camera libs (libmot_sensorlistener.so to be precise) depend on this service to get the device orientation. So after some nasty hacking I got the camera and camcorder mostly working. :D Rotation is still not properly working in the camera app and I expect it to remain that way.

b2g-camera-fix-falcon.zip
md5:c7ebdd42bb1e54436789095c943680db

• 1 month later...
Guest celrau

I'm gonna buy this phone (moto g) since my open C just got dropped and the screen broke.  I wanted to militate for a possible upgrade to v2.1 for the simple reason that there are some patches which enable led notifications for missed calls (important feature!). Not being a programmer I can't backport this code to v2.0 which otherwise is just fine.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest itorres

Thanks a lot for your work on this ROM. I'm using it in my main phone and haven't found anything wrong. Even the camera works quite nicely. Tip: rotate the phone before starting the camera app and the camera will be in the correct position.

I tried to update b2g to 2.2 with a shallow flash but found that the seccomp feature needs to be enabled.

I'm following your instructions to build this but it's been a long time since I compiled a custom kernel for desktop and this is my first Android build, so I expect it to be a moderately long journey.

Do you intend to release an updated image for the Moto G as you did for the ZTE Open C?

Guest KonstaT

Thanks a lot for your work on this ROM. I'm using it in my main phone and haven't found anything wrong. Even the camera works quite nicely. Tip: rotate the phone before starting the camera app and the camera will be in the correct position.

I tried to update b2g to 2.2 with a shallow flash but found that the seccomp feature needs to be enabled.

I'm following your instructions to build this but it's been a long time since I compiled a custom kernel for desktop and this is my first Android build, so I expect it to be a moderately long journey.

Do you intend to release an updated image for the Moto G as you did for the ZTE Open C?

I'm not sure if there's been much success with shallow flash, seccomp enabled or not. IIRC someone said he successfully shallow flashed B2G 2.1 but 2.2 didn't work (this was on Open C with seccomp enabled).

If you just want to build a new kernel, you can simply 'make bootimage' instead of making a full build.

I have no immediate plans of making/releasing a new build. I probably should at some point to bake in the camera fix (and investigate if there's something I can do about the rotation). :P Like I've said in the other thread, Qualcomm seems to have abandoned msm8610/msm8226 platforms on Firefox OS and they're moving on with msm8909. Basically this is already a build of the latest release and there's no updates coming from CAF anymore.

Guest tfeserver

I tried the last image b2g-20150104-falcon.zip with a Motorola G (with Lollipop bootloader) and Last Multirom TWRP but the rom was not loading at all.

I have the following error:

An error occured
Shutting down MultiROM to avoid data corruption.
Report this error to developper!
Debug info: /sdcard/multirom_log.txt

Press Power button to reboot.

Unfortunately i cannot retrive the /sdcard/multirom_log.txt file so no suitable log to provide.

Can you guys tell me how to test the B2G system on a multirom environment?

Thank you!

Guest KonstaT

I tried the last image b2g-20150104-falcon.zip with a Motorola G (with Lollipop bootloader) and Last Multirom TWRP but the rom was not loading at all.

I have the following error:

An error occured
Shutting down MultiROM to avoid data corruption.
Report this error to developper!
Debug info: /sdcard/multirom_log.txt

Press Power button to reboot.

Unfortunately i cannot retrive the /sdcard/multirom_log.txt file so no suitable log to provide.

Can you guys tell me how to test the B2G system on a multirom environment?

Thank you!

This build is based on KitKat kernel and KitKat bootloader is recommended. I'm quite sure you'll face 'screen flickering' issue etc with Lollipop bootloader.

I personally don't have interest in testing/using multi-ROM. You better ask the multi-ROM developer if there's some reason why this ROM doesn't work with multi-ROM. If it's a matter of simply including e.g. kexec hardboot patch in the kernel, I can of course do that if someone else is willing to test it with multi-ROM.

Guest KonstaT
New patch.

b2g-seccomp-kexec-camera-fix-falcon.zip
md5:70312b8c9b473472768bf012a40ffe0e

-ported seccomp support to kernel (if someone wants to test shallow flashing B2G >2.0)
-added kexec hardboot support to kernel (if someone wants to test multi-ROM)
-included the previous camera fix (rotation still not working properly - rotate your device before opening the camera app)

Guest tfeserver

Great, i installed it as the main system and it works "fine".

Can we expect you to update/upgrade to firefox os 3.0? I think the version  built is based on pre-release 2.0 ?

Thank you for your great job.

Guest KonstaT

Great, i installed it as the main system and it works "fine".

Can we expect you to update/upgrade to firefox os 3.0? I think the version  built is based on pre-release 2.0 ?

Thank you for your great job.

You can expect it as much I can expect people to read anything written to this thread. ;)

I have no immediate plans of making/releasing a new build. I probably should at some point to bake in the camera fix (and investigate if there's something I can do about the rotation). :P Like I've said in the other thread, Qualcomm seems to have abandoned msm8610/msm8226 platforms on Firefox OS and they're moving on with msm8909. Basically this is already a build of the latest release and there's no updates coming from CAF anymore.

What you have here is the latest what CAF has to offer for this platform (msm8226).

Making a build from Mozilla master sources would be a completely new project.