Broken San Diego, what to do now?

Guest Gibbo501

Guest Gibbo501

Hello folks,

My SD has performed flawlessly since Jan 13.  But its recently suffered from the camera failure problem that has plagued a few phones. 

I managed to get the camera part out but I think it was the ribbon cable which has failed, and I've not been able to source a replacement part.  Broken San D's are going for silly prices so it doesn't seem cost effective to repair, especially as the battery and power button are on their way out.

As a phone I'm more than happy with the performance and storage and operation, so was thinking of getting another.  I found this Ebay listing selling them new for £70:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171273563816?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

But it states its only running Android 2.3 (Gingerbread).

What do you folks think?  Can it be upgraded to Android 4 without any major problems?  I have to admit that I've kept mine on 4.0.4 and not been following the rooting and upgrading scene for a while, but the last time I checked it wasn't easy.

Or should I just go for something new?    If so, any recommendations?  Size and camera are the biggest plus points for staying with the SD.

TIA.

Guest BlueMoonRising

When they launched they all ran 2.3. You can update OTA which will give you the latest version or put the 299 MB ICS 4.0.4 on it which will allow you to root.

Or you can be sensible and put the money toward a Moto G or similar, I certainly would.

Guest Gibbo501

Thanks for the Moto G pointer, reviews looks excellent.  There's a lot of phones around the £100 mark which all perform well for a budget but this seems to have the edge.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gibbo501

Just thought I'd update this, I got the Moto G from the Orange store.  It was around £104 for an existing Orange customer.  I got the public sector discount too and blagged them into not applying the mandatory £10 as I've just topped it the week before.  Altogether it came to just over £80.  Its a great phone.

If anyone can make use of my old one for spares, give me a shout.

Edited by Gibbo501

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Roger Barnett

I'm interested in the battery if it's any good.

I'm trying to replace my dead osd battery but messed up the soldering a little so an already soldered battery pack would be ideal.