Continuation of IODAK's excellent work. [kernel] updated 14-09-02

Guest Mourta

Guest antys

Mourta have you ever thought about making a slimrom? or you could implement in your rom slim features?
Slim recents, slimpie and slim shortcuts

thanks

Guest daniel.mota

Trust me on this, it's worth the effort. ;)

You won't want to switch afterwards and you won't have to wipe between updates (unless i change something big which i never do for no good reason, read:not until 4.5 or 5.0 Android).

Mourta, will your rom + kernel be compatible with F2FS?

And, about the change, is it enough to manually format the selected partitions in F2FS inside recovery before flashing the rom?

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

And, about the change, is it enough to manually format the selected partitions in F2FS inside recovery before flashing the rom?

Using this trendly f2fs like almost all devs are choosing to do on xda p880 forums is not worth, at the moment, and Mourta said it on xda too, explaining why.. :) Moreover, I haven't seen such a comment on how much f2fs is greatly improving phone's usage, on any forum ;)

Guest technofreak

So tomorow could be a big day for O4X users :) updated kernel, liquidsmooth rom... it's gonna be interesting around here i hope :D

Thanks

Guest derders

Hi and big thanks to you Mourta for your (coming) work on our device!

installed your Kernel and it works very great with latest BS....

and thanks to Bogeyof for passing the solution for Vanir 4.3.1

dreaming of liquidsmooth tonight :)

Guest khaledabdo

Hi @Mourta

thank you for your efforts in the kernel, and the long waited liquidsmooth .. :)

I have a question that I couldn't grasp from the thread .. :(

what are the differences here over iodak's kernel ? I mean, what should I be expecting to be enhanced? Performance, battery, .. etc? :)

thank you again .. 

Guest Nikos Pantelaios

Well, it is Sunday and we are waiting for your rom. 2 questions:

1)can you upload a version capable for stock roms?

2) with your rom the kernel will be included in the rom, or we should wipe cache and Dalvik and install the kernel?? Thanks for your time and effort!!

Guest Kousetsu

I've tried using your kernel with LiquidSmooth rom after reading about great results. The perfermance was amazing, never imagined it could run that smooth. But i'm worried about my phone heating up very fast and really a lot. When playing(~5-10min) or using wifi(20-30min) the phone heats up so much it actually becomes too hot to keep your fingers on the screen for more than few seconds. I tried to find out cpu temperatures but had no luck. The battery is around 47-49°C. Are those temperatures dangerous? Especially for longer periods of time?

Guest Benjan32

I tried to find out cpu temperatures but had no luck. The battery is around 47-49°C. Are those temperatures dangerous? Especially for longer periods of time?

Use Trickster Mod it's free and by far the best tool for overclocking etc.

It's "normal" for Tegras that they overheat really quickly. When your cpu temperature reaches somewhere between 70-75°C the cpu throttles itself down and when it gets even hotter your phone will shut down so nothing can happen (happened to me 2 times when playing cookie clicker and charging phone). I don't think it's dangerous for the phone but I'm not really sure.

Edited by Benjan32

Guest Mourta

No.

The reason is that there is no use for it other than to slow your phone down a bit.

See, i've benchmarked it and the sequential reads are about half as fast as on ext4 and given that we are using a flash memory everything is sequential, so.

Unless you are running a database server on your phone (f2fs does great on database response) or writing large amounts of data (which no one does) it's of absolutely no use.

It's not the magic system that improves output speeds of flash memory as advertised.

And yeah, it's worth it.

Edited by Mourta

Guest Mourta

Hi @Mourta

thank you for your efforts in the kernel, and the long waited liquidsmooth .. :)

I have a question that I couldn't grasp from the thread .. :(

what are the differences here over iodak's kernel ? I mean, what should I be expecting to be enhanced? Performance, battery, .. etc? :)

thank you again .. 

I'm not going to do a list of things, it's 39 000+ files changed over several thousand commits so ...

I'm focusing on fixing stuff, adding stuff that is from my other kernels into this one to improve reliability and performance (and yes, performance does increase battery life, race to idle).

Guest Mourta

Use Trickster Mod it's free and by far the best tool for overclocking etc.

It's "normal" for Tegras that they overheat really quickly. When your cpu temperature reaches somewhere between 70-75°C the cpu throttles itself down and when it gets even hotter your phone will shut down so nothing can happen (happened to me 2 times when playing cookie clicker and charging phone). I don't think it's dangerous for the phone but I'm not really sure.

Well, kernel tweaker is built in under liquid smooth and works just as well with more options.

Guest Mourta

Mourta have you ever thought about making a slimrom? or you could implement in your rom slim features?

Slim recents, slimpie and slim shortcuts

thanks

Already included in liquid AFAIK.

Guest Mourta

I've tried using your kernel with LiquidSmooth rom after reading about great results. The perfermance was amazing, never imagined it could run that smooth. But i'm worried about my phone heating up very fast and really a lot. When playing(~5-10min) or using wifi(20-30min) the phone heats up so much it actually becomes too hot to keep your fingers on the screen for more than few seconds. I tried to find out cpu temperatures but had no luck. The battery is around 47-49°C. Are those temperatures dangerous? Especially for longer periods of time?

Which governor are you using?

I didn't remove the built in thermal failsafes, i didn't even touch them so it won't pass the Nvidia failsafes.

Guest Mourta

I'll try to finish a build tonight but it's not looking all that great for now, i'm mid process updating half of the kernel at once and can't include just the parts i want without bringing in a MASSIVE update with it.

I'll get it done either tonight or early tomorrow.

Guest LGaljo

I'll try to finish a build tonight but it's not looking all that great for now, i'm mid process updating half of the kernel at once and can't include just the parts i want without bringing in a MASSIVE update with it.

I'll get it done either tonight or early tomorrow.

Take your time to make the thing the best as you can ;)

Guest Mourta

Take your time to make the thing the best as you can ;)

I'm going to do an intermittent release with some fixes, an introduction to 3.4 and two added governors tonight.

The rest will take some time.

Guest phynix5800

I must say this kernel really impresses me. From my tests so far its very responsive! After the first start, the media process kept force closing - it was fixed by a reboot.

Guest Mourta

Mourta i cant believe that they banned you from xda. For what reason? Sorry for of topic.

Well, the children on XDA cannot have someone telling users the truth about the devs and their politcs... so ;)

Anyway, glad you're here, if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Guest Mourta

I must say this kernel really impresses me. From my tests so far its very responsive! After the first start, the media process kept force closing - it was fixed by a reboot.

Yeah, i kinda expected that on some ROM's.

I'm only going to use this on my own ROM and so other ROM's may have problems with it.

Guest Mario Cruz

Hi Mourta, thanks for your kernel.

I'm using CM11 official, and I'm having some problems with abyssplug, whenever I set it in trickstermod my phone will restart. It only works if I set cpuquiet to userspace but it leads to another problem, it will use all the four cores all the time. For now I'll stick with wheatley, but, what could be the cause of this anomally?

EDIT: Tried kernel tweaker, working fine so far :)

Edited by Mario Cruz

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

Mourta i cant believe that they banned you from xda. For what reason? Sorry for of topic.

What a great surprise, mate! The problem on xda is that laufersteppenwolf decided to become a dictator, wiping and erasing every single post which gives boredom to him and his little friends..many of us have been literally censored, on your thread, and he warned us on being subservient to his regime, or we have to expect a ban too ;D

@Mourta I'll patiently wait your next release, to see the great change you was telling me about two days ago (abyssplugv2) (or should I not wait?) ;D

Edited by Giuseppe Vallone