ZTE Kis 3 / ZTE Open C stock ROMs

Guest KonstaT

Guest kram0tak

Firstly I'm flashing Firefox OS to my handset. After it done I realize it doesn't support Indonesian network,nor dual sim. So I flashed back to Android using .zip files included in fox OS package, which Later i realized is Gen EU version and doesn't support either.

So I'm asking stock recovery to be able to restore INA version for my device, which is done successfully but neither of sim card I inserted won't be able to detected.

There's no baseband version showed in About section of my device. And I know nothing how to use flashtool to mess with. Just following guide from update file ZTE provided.

Edited by kram0tak

Guest KonstaT

Firstly I'm flashing Firefox OS to my handset. After it done I realize it doesn't support Indonesian network,nor dual sim. So I flashed back to Android using .zip files included in fox OS package, which Later i realized is Gen EU version and doesn't support either.

So I'm asking stock recovery to be able to restore INA version for my device, which is done successfully but neither of sim card I inserted won't be able to detected.

There's no baseband version showed in About section of my device. And I know nothing how to use flashtool to mess with. Just following guide from update file ZTE provided.

Yes, you've already told that you tried to install Firefox OS. There's several versions and several ways to install it. What exact files did you flash and how? It's quite difficult to help if I don't know what you've done to your device (and maybe it's not a matter that belongs to this topic anyway).

'Baseband version' reported under 'About phone' in ZTE stock firmware is nothing but a hardcoded value read from /persist/settings.conf. On my CyanogenMod/CAF builds it's an actual dynamic value read from the radio firmware (/firmware/verinfo/ver_info.txt).

Guest kram0tak

Yes, you've already told that you tried to install Firefox OS. There's several versions and several ways to install it. What exact files did you flash and how? It's quite difficult to help if I don't know what you've done to your device (and maybe it's not a matter that belongs to this topic anyway).

'Baseband version' reported under 'About phone' in ZTE stock firmware is nothing but a hardcoded value read from /persist/settings.conf. On my CyanogenMod/CAF builds it's an actual dynamic value read from the radio firmware (/firmware/verinfo/ver_info.txt).

Im using this EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip (there's 2 files , Android to FF and FF to Android , using the 1st one to try FF OS ) and Flash using CWM Recovery , then using the 2nd ( one FF to Android ) to restore back to Android. After several times using CWM , TWRP , and GEN_EU stock recovery to FLash update.zip for INA , i'm failed . Been Trying several times flashing CM 11 just to see if the signal will detect. Until i asked you the stock recovery , im doing all the flashing from recovery and fastboot only for flashing recoveries.

Guest KonstaT

Im using this EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip (there's 2 files , Android to FF and FF to Android , using the 1st one to try FF OS ) and Flash using CWM Recovery , then using the 2nd ( one FF to Android ) to restore back to Android. After several times using CWM , TWRP , and GEN_EU stock recovery to FLash update.zip for INA , i'm failed . Been Trying several times flashing CM 11 just to see if the signal will detect. Until i asked you the stock recovery , im doing all the flashing from recovery and fastboot only for flashing recoveries.

If you've only flashed EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip, EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip and TRI_INA_P821E10V1.0.0B04 update.zip you should be right back where you started from. :o Neither of the first two firmwares directly support dual-SIM devices (CyanogenMod doesn't either - you need to manually set a system property to enable dual-SIM features first). Are you sure you've succesfully flashed the TRI_INA firmware using the correct stock recovery image? Is all the other information in 'About phone' inline with the Indonesian firmware, just 'Baseband version' missing? You could also use some file explorer/shell and check what you have in /firmware and /persist partitions. If something was missing there, I doubt wifi would work then either...

All ZTE firmware packages should be flashed using a stock recovery. There's even a warning in the first post that advises not to use a custom recovery. This is because ZTE stock firmware packages also include modem/bootloader which can't be backed up/restored using a custom recovery - you shouldn't be flashing anything to those partitions using a custom recovery then either. Always use stock recovery to install stock firmware - custom recovery to install custom ROMs.

Guest kram0tak

If you've only flashed EU_Android+to+FFOS.zip, EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip and TRI_INA_P821E10V1.0.0B04 update.zip you should be right back where you started from. :o Neither of the first two firmwares directly support dual-SIM devices (CyanogenMod doesn't either - you need to manually set a system property to enable dual-SIM features first). Are you sure you've succesfully flashed the TRI_INA firmware using the correct stock recovery image? Is all the other information in 'About phone' inline with the Indonesian firmware, just 'Baseband version' missing? You could also use some file explorer/shell and check what you have in /firmware and /persist partitions. If something was missing there, I doubt wifi would work then either...

All ZTE firmware packages should be flashed using a stock recovery. There's even a warning in the first post that advises not to use a custom recovery. This is because ZTE stock firmware packages also include modem/bootloader which can't be backed up/restored using a custom recovery - you shouldn't be flashing anything to those partitions using a custom recovery then either. Always use stock recovery to install stock firmware - custom recovery to install custom ROMs.

Thanks again for reply , seems i've been taking up lot of your time support me here. The reason i'd asked you for Stock recovery was i failed trying to flash Update.zip for INA with any other recoveries ( CWM / TWRP / Gen_EU Stock Recovery ) all of them failed to verify the package and cancel the whole process. And i assume there's no change at all while the flashing process cancelled? and only with the stock INA Recovery was successful to flash Stock Firmware ( update.zip) .

Yes The baseband version is missing and the section with SIM Card Info displaying : SIM Card error on both , but the IMEI number for 1 & 2 still valid , also the WiFi still working. 

This thread said that  Flashing Dual Sim radios onto a Single Sim device or vice versa may result in a permanent brick , but im still hoping' there's still a chance to fix it. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Wozza_UK

Hello.

I am trying to root and unlock my ZTE Open C.  On the following website (http://en.comebuy.com/developer-firefox-os-open-c.html) it mentions a link to a 'eng' or engineering firmware that is downloadable from that page.  Unfortunately that link seems to have disappeared.  I need the 'eng' firmware becasue I only have access to Ubuntu and not Windows, so I cannot use the Open_C_upgrade_Tool software.

From the above links the only one with an 'eng' firmware is the French download.  The EU and USA 'eng' links don't seem to contain an 'eng' folder when unzipped. 

Can I use the French firmware with my UK purchased Open C?  Will the bootloader be in French?

If I cannot use the French firmware do you know how I can download this firmware?   I really want to root and unlock my Open C so I can try later Firefox OS's.

Thanks.

Edited by Wozza_UK

Guest KonstaT

Hello.

I am trying to root and unlock my ZTE Open C.  On the following website (http://en.comebuy.com/developer-firefox-os-open-c.html) it mentions a link to a 'eng' or engineering firmware that is downloadable from that page.  Unfortunately that link seems to have disappeared.  I need the 'eng' firmware becasue I only have access to Ubuntu and not Windows, so I cannot use the Open_C_upgrade_Tool software.

From the above links the only one with an 'eng' firmware is the French download.  The EU and USA 'eng' links don't seem to contain an 'eng' folder when unzipped. 

Can I use the French firmware with my UK purchased Open C?  Will the bootloader be in French?

If I cannot use the French firmware do you know how I can download this firmware?   I really want to root and unlock my Open C so I can try later Firefox OS's.

Thanks.

Links work just fine for me. :o

There's also been some misinformation about 'unlocking' the Open C. It's never had a locked bootloader so you don't need to 'unlock' it either.

I uploaded just the boot.img from the engineering build. Fastboot flashing/booting it is the only thing you're going to need to have rooted adb access on stock Firefox OS anyway (ro.secure=0).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpym8nbimj9vp8b/FFOS_EU_EBAY_P821A10V1.0.0B06-eng-boot.img?dl=0

Guest KonstaT

Hi KonstaT.

I'm confused.  So what does flashing boot.img from the engineering build do?

Cheers.                       

Well, what is it that you exactly wanted to do?

If you want to mess with the stock Firefox OS (build Gaia/Gecko from source or use 'shallow flash' method to update Gaia/Gecko) you need to flash/boot the unsecure boot.img from the engineering build (which I uploaded) that allows you to have rooted adb shell. All of the above is described on the official Mozilla Open C wiki page.

If you want to use custom ROMs (CyanogenMod, my KitKat based B2G build, etc), update to official ZTE KitKat first (EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip), and simply install custom recovery (CWM, TWRP) after that. Use custom recovery to backup you current firmware and install custom ROMs.

Using a Windows flasher is not required in either of the cases. Open C doesn't have locked bootloader so it doesn't need to be 'unlocked'.

Guest Wozza_UK

Hi KonstaT.  I appreciate your time for helping me out. :)

I was going to flash either 1.4 or 2.1 Firefox OS custom rom from a thread over on XDA in the Firefox OS section.  It uses cw_recovery_50.img that you can either flash or boot in order to try these Firefox OS roms.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/firefox-os/general/zte-c-roms-cw-recovery-50-t2806173

So I need to flash the 'eng' image to get rooted adb mode?

Thanks.

Edited by Wozza_UK

Guest KonstaT

Hi KonstaT.  I appreciate your time for helping me out. :)

I was going to flash either 1.4 or 2.1 Firefox OS custom rom from a thread over on XDA in the Firefox OS section.  It uses cw_recovery_50.img that you can either flash or boot in order to try these Firefox OS roms.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/firefox-os/general/zte-c-roms-cw-recovery-50-t2806173

So I need to flash the 'eng' image to get rooted adb mode?

Thanks.

Just flash a custom recovery image then. No need to do anything else before that.

FYI that recovery you're talking about is broken in various ways. E.g. sdcards are configured completely wrong which leads to /data partition never being formatted when you do a factory reset.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Konsta!

I have 2 Open C EU, which I have flashed to Android, and then installed CM11 (I got help from you).
Both have the 1 Gb data partition.

Is it correct, that I must use the Win Flasher (upgrade tool) to convert it to Kis 3 and get 2 Gb data partition?
Is it correct that I can't, repartition whith ADB.

Can I use the "(Generic - Flash tool firmware)" on first page to do this(marked with 3 ???)?

ro.build.display.id=ZTE_KIS_III_V1.0
ro.build.inner.version=GEN_EU_P821E10V1.0.0B06
ro.build.version.release=4.4.2

Do I have to flash a stock recovery before and if I use the WinFlasher?
Should I erase CEFS if I use the WinFlasher?

If I use the Winflasher, should I upgrade with the "Kis 3 update" from ZTE before flashing CM11 or CM12?

ro.build.id=KOT49H
ro.build.display.id=ZTE_KIS_III_V1.3
ro.build.inner.version=EE_UK_P821E10V1.0.0B06

Finally is it a big problem with the winflasher (I have always used ADB from Linux)?

Edited by webbe

Guest KonstaT

You'd better ask someone who's actually used that that tool. :P

Is it correct, that I must use the Win Flasher (upgrade tool) to convert it to Kis 3 and get 2 Gb data partition?

Is it correct that I can't, repartition whith ADB.

Yes and yes.

Can I use the "(Generic - Flash tool firmware)" on first page to do this(marked with 3 ???)?

ro.build.display.id=ZTE_KIS_III_V1.0
ro.build.inner.version=GEN_EU_P821E10V1.0.0B06

Yes.

Do I have to flash a stock recovery before and if I use the WinFlasher?

Should I erase CEFS if I use the WinFlasher?

IDK, you might even need to flash back to stock to get the device recognized.
AFAIK you should check 'erase CEFS' when switching between OS's (Firefox OS -> Android or Android -> Firefox OS).

If I use the Winflasher, should I upgrade with the "Kis 3 update" from ZTE before flashing CM11 or CM12?

ro.build.id=KOT49H

ro.build.display.id=ZTE_KIS_III_V1.3
ro.build.inner.version=EE_UK_P821E10V1.0.0B06
I don't think so. Any stock KitKat ROM should do. Don't flash that firmware at least, better stick with the generic builds. B10 is what I've used to extract the proprietary files in CyanogenMod from, so update to that if you feel that you have to.

Finally is it a big problem with the winflasher (I have always used ADB from Linux)?

???

Hi Konsta!

Thanks a lot for the help!!!!

I took this weekend and made 2 KIS 3 from 2 Open C.

It worked perfect.

The WinFlasher gives me "hiccups". Lots of errormessages from USB, but it works.

There's the cause to my question about the Winflasher.

The ADB interface on one of my Linuxmachines (KDE), can not flash "fastboot flash recovery recoveryXXXX.img". So I must use a recovery on the PC to flash the recovery (I use CWM to flash CWM, and Stock to flash EU_FFOS+to+Android).

Now I have CM11 and CM12 with 2 GB data!

Again! Thanks a lot for the help!!!

Guest KonstaT

Hi Konsta!

Thanks a lot for the help!!!!

I took this weekend and made 2 KIS 3 from 2 Open C.

It worked perfect.

The WinFlasher gives me "hiccups". Lots of errormessages from USB, but it works.

There's the cause to my question about the Winflasher.

The ADB interface on one of my Linuxmachines (KDE), can not flash "fastboot flash recovery recoveryXXXX.img". So I must use a recovery on the PC to flash the recovery (I use CWM to flash CWM, and Stock to flash EU_FFOS+to+Android).

Now I have CM11 and CM12 with 2 GB data!

Again! Thanks a lot for the help!!!

BTW there would have been a newer Windows flasher Android firmware available at comebuy website (B10 vs. 'leaked' B06 we had before). I've now added it to the first post.

Guest KonstaT

ok, just managed to brick a genuine zte kis 3 using the generic windows flasher...

identifies as qhusb device

So I've heard that Windows flashers can do that too. What exactly happened?

QPST to the rescue? There should be everything in those flashtool firmware packages needed to use QPST's 'eMMC Software Download' app.

Guest hecatae

So I've heard that Windows flashers can do that too. What exactly happened?

QPST to the rescue? There should be everything in those flashtool firmware packages needed to use QPST's 'eMMC Software Download' app.

hangs at the erase cefs section, tells you it fails and the device no longer works, no boot, no nothing, really weird.

nope QPST did not help, sent it back to the mobile carrier for a replacement.

Guest KonstaT

hangs at the erase cefs section, tells you it fails and the device no longer works, no boot, no nothing, really weird.

nope QPST did not help, sent it back to the mobile carrier for a replacement.

Did you have 'erase CEFS' box checked? AFAIK it should be only selected when switching between OS/Android versions (Firefox OS -> Android - 4.3 -> 4.4, and vice versa). If you're updating to Android 4.4 with Android 4.4 already installed, you shouldn't select it.

Guest OrangeFox

Hello there good folks!

I admit, I was very naive. Here is the story: I got the ZTE Open C with firefox OS and I was annoyed with it cause of lack some apps, so I decided to update to Android.

I googled it and found this site, it seamed trustworthy and simple, so I decided to update the phone with the Open_C_upgrade_Tool. I haven't done any backup.

Phone update stopped at 97 or 98 % but it seamed all OK, Android 4.4.2 was installed.
Only tomorrow the shock came: I can't make phone calls!

IMEI was set to zero!

Spent last three days on learning how to back up and root devices.

I managed to install CWM and a superuser app from .zip after that, also backed up the system (if only i have done in the first place).

Now I guess I need to install new modem-radio to maybe get IMEI back. Or is there another way like writing IMEI through some software?

Please tell me what to do, hope i won't have to throw the phone in the rubbish bin,

& thanks a million for this awesome forum :)

Cheers guys!

Guest KonstaT

Hello there good folks!

I admit, I was very naive. Here is the story: I got the ZTE Open C with firefox OS and I was annoyed with it cause of lack some apps, so I decided to update to Android.

I googled it and found this site, it seamed trustworthy and simple, so I decided to update the phone with the Open_C_upgrade_Tool. I haven't done any backup.

Phone update stopped at 97 or 98 % but it seamed all OK, Android 4.4.2 was installed.

Only tomorrow the shock came: I can't make phone calls!

IMEI was set to zero!

Spent last three days on learning how to back up and root devices.

I managed to install CWM and a superuser app from .zip after that, also backed up the system (if only i have done in the first place).

Now I guess I need to install new modem-radio to maybe get IMEI back. Or is there another way like writing IMEI through some software?

Please tell me what to do, hope i won't have to throw the phone in the rubbish bin,

& thanks a million for this awesome forum :)

Cheers guys!

So I've heard Windows flashers can do that too. That is an 'official' ZTE tool/firmware and it should be safe to use AFAIK. There would have been a much safer way to update to Android via an official recovery flashable Firefox OS -> Android firmware, though.

I'm really not a fan of these Windows flashers and I've never used one myself. I'm not that big on the debricking scene either as I've never managed to 'brick' a device. :P I don't know what this exact tool does at the end of the update but some previous ZTE tools restored NV memory at 98%. If/when this fails, your device is left without IMEI/wifi&bt MAC/etc. If that's the case, there's a tool called QPST that can be used to backup/restore NV memory items. Did you have 'erase CEFS' box ticked when you run the tool? AFAIK it should be checked when switching been OS'es (Firefox OS -> Android - Jelly Bean -> KitKat, and vice versa). If not, might be worth running the tool again and see if that makes a difference.

Making a backup in ClockWorkMod beforehand wouldn't have helped here anyway. Windows flashers operate on a much 'lower' level and write partitions that can't be backed up/restored using a custom recovery.

Guest OrangeFox

Tnx for a reply!

I have tried switching back and forth OS and ticked 'erase CEFS'. It didn't help.

First time it has happened I might have left the SIM card inside, was too tired to focus...

So, this QPST tool is probably the last resort,

what do I need to do after downloading it?

Guest KonstaT

Tnx for a reply!

I have tried switching back and forth OS and ticked 'erase CEFS'. It didn't help.

First time it has happened I might have left the SIM card inside, was too tired to focus...

So, this QPST tool is probably the last resort,

what do I need to do after downloading it?

IIRC it's QPST's 'Software Download' app that you need to use. And maybe some hex editing to put your IMEI (sticker under battery or retail packaging) back to the qcn file. Shouldn't be any different than on other devices. Google will find several instructions for that.

Guest KonstaT

What do you mean by "QPST's 'Software Download' app", mobile app or one for PC?

I only found QPST 2.7...

Just install it and you'll understand. It has several applications...