ZTE Kis 3 / ZTE Open C stock ROMs

Guest KonstaT

Guest Barteu

Wait, there's an update that allows us to move apps to SD? Which one?

I'm still on V1.3, is it even worth updating?

Which stock firmware are you returning to? Easiest way if of course to restore a nandroid backup you've made of your stock ROM. There's even a backup of the stock recovery.img in the clockworkmod backup folder on your sdcard if you did the first backup before flashing CWM. All recovery images (stock or custom) are flashed exactly the same way (instructions in the CWM thread).

There's already few recovery images listed in the OP. I can create an image from the contents of a stock firmware zip if I know which one you need (or you could do i

ty for the reply! te firmware i'm returning to is the portuguese. I did restored to the nandroid backup, i have again the stock rom, but not the stock recovery. i'm gonna restore the nandroid backup again, maybe i did something rong.

Guest KonstaT

ty for the reply! te firmware i'm returning to is the portuguese. I did restored to the nandroid backup, i have again the stock rom, but not the stock recovery. i'm gonna restore the nandroid backup again, maybe i did something rong.

ClockWorkMod doesn't restore the recovery partition because it would mean it would overwrite itself. Usually we wouldn't want that of course. There's still a backup of the recovery partition in every nandroid backup. If you made the first backup before flashing CWM to the recovery partition, it's a backup of your stock recovery.

Use fastboot to flash that recovery backup (same way you'd flash any recovery image) or tell me the exact firmware version (there's four portuguese firmwares) and I'll create one for you.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Wozza_UK

I think the Mozilla's instructions are now somewhat outdated as their reference device Flame has now moved to use a KitKat base image. Open C stock Firefox OS is still based on Jelly Bean. Shallow flash method doesn't work anymore and I really can't comment on how difficult it would be for someone to build gaia/gecko.

French community is releasing nightly/weekly/monthly builds in various Firefox OS flavours. These builds are to be flashed over the Jelly Bean based stock Firefox OS engineering build. You'll need to use a Windows tool to flash that first.

Hi KonstaT.

I needed to put Windows back on my machine for a short while so I used the ZTE unlock tool and put 2.2 on my phone from the French website.  Now I am loving this phone!  I even managed to find a Radio app (although it is acting up a bit) that plays my two favourite radio stations.  And ther sound quality on the Open C is remarkably good for such a cheap device!  I think I am Google free at at last!

What I wanted to ask was are the ROM's linked to on the French website being updated still and if they are is it via OTA or will I need to flash an update zip?

Thanks.

Edited by Wozza_UK

Guest KonstaT

Hi KonstaT.

I needed to put Windows back on my machine for a short while so I used the ZTE unlock tool and put 2.2 on my phone from the French website.  Now I am loving this phone!  I even managed to find a Radio app (although it is acting up a bit) that plays my two favourite radio stations.  And ther sound quality on the Open C is remarkably good for such a cheap device!  I think I am Google free at at last!

What I wanted to ask was are the ROM's linked to on the French website being updated still and if they are is it via OTA or will I need to flash an update zip?

Thanks.

Deep down Firefox OS is still based on AOSP so you're not much more 'Google free' than you'd be on CyanogenMod without gapps package. ;)

You better ask the French community who's maintaining those build. How would I know...

Guest centrino500

scratch that several nice crashes on uk generic, now running:

ro.build.display.id=ZTE_Kis_III_V4.2
ro.build.inner.version=VIRGIN_UK_P821E10V1.0.0B06
ro.build.version.release=4.4.2
ro.build.date=Thu Jun  5 09:52:18 CST 2014
ro.product.model=ZTE Kis 3
ro.product.brand=ZTE
ro.product.name=ZTE-P821E10
ro.product.device=ZTE-P821E10

how did you change the firmware of ZTE KIS 3? i tried to change it from EE_UK to Virgin_UK, but when phone turns on it freezes on the main screen, can't touch anything..

Guest KonstaT

how did you change the firmware of ZTE KIS 3? i tried to change it from EE_UK to Virgin_UK, but when phone turns on it freezes on the main screen, can't touch anything..

Sounds like you have one the UK EE devices that has a Goodix GT960F touchscreen. I've heard of one or two cases before. ZTE has added support for this hardware only in the recent stock firmwares. They haven't released new kernel source so custom ROMs won't work either (besides my CAF build with stock kernel add-on that was specifically targeted for these devices).

Why would you want to switch to some ancient stock firmware anyway. There's no notable difference in any of these feature-wise AFAIK.

Guest Wozza_UK

Deep down Firefox OS is still based on AOSP so you're not much more 'Google free' than you'd be on CyanogenMod without gapps package. ;)

You better ask the French community who's maintaining those build. How would I know...

Hi KonstaT.

Interesting.  I was thinking of going the Cyanogenmod minus Gapps route on a Galaxy S I had picked up, but the phone is still wrapped up in its box due to me trying Firefox OS 2.1 on the Open C.

I will ask the French website.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hecatae

If anyone is interested, I have managed to kill another Kis 3 using the stock roms listed in this thread, definitely something peculiar about this device

• 3 weeks later...
Guest KonstaT
Added modem info to stock firmware packages.

We have five different Android (Android 4.4 KitKat) modems:
M8610AAAAANLYD180333.1
M8610AAAAANLYD1803205.1
M8610AAAAANLYD1803207.1
M8610AAAAANLYD1803208.1
M8610AAAAANLYD1803213.1

And two different  Firefox OS (Android 4.3 JellyBean) modems:

M8610AAAAAWFYD1030.1
M8610AAAAAWFYD1030103.1

• 1 month later...
Guest k96hkh

Dear friends,

Thanks for a great forum and please bear with me since this is my first post and I'm a newbie when it comes to modding phones :)

Like a few have experienced before me I managed to zero my ZTE Open C when changing back and forth between FFOS and KitKat. After spending hours on the internet I have learned tonnes of stuff and I have managed to "repair" my IMEI with QPST so that GSM and EDGE is working. This brings me to my question, does anyone know how what I have to do in order to get the 3G working again? After reading tonnes of posts I suspect the problem lies in that some nv_settings are messed up and I have searched for QCN-files to compared with, tried to extract a QCN from a Xperia Arc (MSM8255, the Open C has an MSM8210) but didn't succeed. I'm running out of options ... please help Obi-Wan Kenobi, your my only

hope.

Ps. I have an eBAY EU version of the ZTE Open C.

Guest KonstaT

Dear friends,

Thanks for a great forum and please bear with me since this is my first post and I'm a newbie when it comes to modding phones :)

Like a few have experienced before me I managed to zero my ZTE Open C when changing back and forth between FFOS and KitKat. After spending hours on the internet I have learned tonnes of stuff and I have managed to "repair" my IMEI with QPST so that GSM and EDGE is working. This brings me to my question, does anyone know how what I have to do in order to get the 3G working again? After reading tonnes of posts I suspect the problem lies in that some nv_settings are messed up and I have searched for QCN-files to compared with, tried to extract a QCN from a Xperia Arc (MSM8255, the Open C has an MSM8210) but didn't succeed. I'm running out of options ... please help Obi-Wan Kenobi, your my only

hope.

Ps. I have an eBAY EU version of the ZTE Open C.

How did you lose your IMEI? Simply running the Windows flasher with 'erase CEFS' box checked doesn't help?

Guest k96hkh

Boosted by our questions KonstaT I got some energy and tested some more. First of all my history is basically the same as in post 45 http://www.modaco.com/topic/373101-zte-kis-3-zte-open-c-stock-roms/page-3#entry2250421, I wanted to test KitKat on the Open C and it got stuck on 98 % and so on. I managed to get FFOS back into the phone and "repaired" the IMEI with QPST or CDMA (I don't remember).

Besides this I tested a few shallow flashes from Firefox OS developer network, some SD images from various places (some FFOS to KitKat and vice versa) and a few community builds from mozFR. Most have worked fine but I never got the 3G part to work and I think it was after that unsuccessful flash.

Anyway, just to be sure I did exactly as you said: I downloaded a fresh set of "PSTW_SDT_OPENCEBAY1.0.0B03.zip" and "GEN_EU_P821E10V1.0.0B10_FUS_DL.zip" from the comebuy site, made sure the erase CEFS was checked and guess what happens 3G (HSPA) is working ... FOR A FEW MINUTES (then I'm back on GSM/EDGE).

Intrigued by this I double check the APNs (correct), test a few other SIM cards, flash to FFOS and back again but no matter what I only get 3G for a short while. Of course I verify that the SIM cards are working in a few other phones with no problem getting 3G connection.

Strange, any idea?

Guest KonstaT

Boosted by our questions KonstaT I got some energy and tested some more. First of all my history is basically the same as in post 45 http://www.modaco.com/topic/373101-zte-kis-3-zte-open-c-stock-roms/page-3#entry2250421, I wanted to test KitKat on the Open C and it got stuck on 98 % and so on. I managed to get FFOS back into the phone and "repaired" the IMEI with QPST or CDMA (I don't remember).

Besides this I tested a few shallow flashes from Firefox OS developer network, some SD images from various places (some FFOS to KitKat and vice versa) and a few community builds from mozFR. Most have worked fine but I never got the 3G part to work and I think it was after that unsuccessful flash.

Anyway, just to be sure I did exactly as you said: I downloaded a fresh set of "PSTW_SDT_OPENCEBAY1.0.0B03.zip" and "GEN_EU_P821E10V1.0.0B10_FUS_DL.zip" from the comebuy site, made sure the erase CEFS was checked and guess what happens 3G (HSPA) is working ... FOR A FEW MINUTES (then I'm back on GSM/EDGE).

Intrigued by this I double check the APNs (correct), test a few other SIM cards, flash to FFOS and back again but no matter what I only get 3G for a short while. Of course I verify that the SIM cards are working in a few other phones with no problem getting 3G connection.

Strange, any idea?

Yeah, I think ZTE Windows flasher backups/restores NV memory items at the end. If it hangs/fails at 98%, you'll end up without IMEI/wifi MAC/etc. That's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of ZTE Windows flash tools.

Check Russian forums for debricking guides. There's a few different methods to restore NV/EFS that should give back 3G connectivity.

Guest k96hkh

Woohoo, it's working!

It took me a while to translate, finding the right info and to get hold of the "QCNBC.rar" but in the end it worked.

I guess I should share the whole story if anyone else have the same problem as I had. The main source was this post on 4pda.ru but the link in that post for the QCNBC was broken so I ended up on gsmforum.ru, here. Basically the same procedure was mentioned here but with the addition of first testing to flash a stock ZTE V811 image. The V811 image didn't help so I moved on to the backup, conversion and restore of the QCN file - procedure which did the trick (3g was working after that). I did the procedure having the V811 kitkat on the phone but I guess it shouldn't matter.

After that I flashed it with the FFOS image from the combuy site (3g still working) and finally I put the aurora community build from mozfr on it and it is still working :)

Thank you so much KonstaT!

Ps. I wish I could thank the people on the 4pda forum also but I can't figure out how to sign up on their site :(

Guest KonstaT

Woohoo, it's working!

It took me a while to translate, finding the right info and to get hold of the "QCNBC.rar" but in the end it worked.

I guess I should share the whole story if anyone else have the same problem as I had. The main source was this post on 4pda.ru but the link in that post for the QCNBC was broken so I ended up on gsmforum.ru, here. Basically the same procedure was mentioned here but with the addition of first testing to flash a stock ZTE V811 image. The V811 image didn't help so I moved on to the backup, conversion and restore of the QCN file - procedure which did the trick (3g was working after that). I did the procedure having the V811 kitkat on the phone but I guess it shouldn't matter.

After that I flashed it with the FFOS image from the combuy site (3g still working) and finally I put the aurora community build from mozfr on it and it is still working :)

Thank you so much KonstaT!

Ps. I wish I could thank the people on the 4pda forum also but I can't figure out how to sign up on their site :(

Great. :D Thanks to you too. ;)

Guest Alchess

K96hkh

I have similar problem like you and was wondering if you please help myself out by posting what you actually did step by step to restore the lost imei etc.

I have searched various forums to carry out this work but have found so much different advice it hard to know what actually works. Like for example how  did you access diag,adb mode? Any help you can give would be much appreciated!!!

Konsta, Thanks very much for the great roms you have given to this phone and also to the Zte blade which I still have.

All the best

Alchess

Guest KonstaT

K96hkh

I have similar problem like you and was wondering if you please help myself out by posting what you actually did step by step to restore the lost imei etc.

I have searched various forums to carry out this work but have found so much different advice it hard to know what actually works. Like for example how  did you access diag,adb mode? Any help you can give would be much appreciated!!!

Konsta, Thanks very much for the great roms you have given to this phone and also to the Zte blade which I still have.

All the best

Alchess

If you're running e.g. CyanogenMod (rooted stock will also do) you can
su
setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb

in adb shell/terminal. That should get QPST recognize your device.

I could write a mini-guide on backing up NV memory items with QPST, but there isn't exactly a legal copy of that app available that I could link to. :P

Guest Alchess

HI KONSTA, Thanks for your reply. I would appreciate if you can write a mini-guide you quoted in your last post. It would be most appreciated by myself!!! Providing it does not cause too much trouble and time to do it. I know you are a very busy developer always answering questions from people like myself and always developing to improve on the roms you create. With kind regards Alchess.

Guest KonstaT

HI KONSTA, Thanks for your reply. I would appreciate if you can write a mini-guide you quoted in your last post. It would be most appreciated by myself!!! Providing it does not cause too much trouble and time to do it. I know you are a very busy developer always answering questions from people like myself and always developing to improve on the roms you create. With kind regards Alchess.

Like said, I haven't done it because there's no way I can provide the tool necessary to get the job done - not because of lack of time or effort it would take.

Can you make/build stock recovery.img to stock recovery.zip?like you make/build cwm6.0.5.1.img to cwm6.0.5.1.zip

Or you could just use the flashable CWM/TRWP zip and put any (custom or stock) recovery.img inside it with your favorite zip tool...

IMO it's good to have custom recovery installed on the device and use fastboot only to boot stock recovery when necessary. Saved me once when I tried to install a Kis 3 stock ROM to my Open C and it didn't fit the /system partition and my device refused to boot to Android after that.

• 4 months later...

I want to restore the rom I became a stock rom, but his problems I troublesome volume keys. how do it so that it did not flash through recovery? for example through Adb

Guest KonstaT
11 hours ago, Primmu said:

I want to restore the rom I became a stock rom, but his problems I troublesome volume keys. how do it so that it did not flash through recovery? for example through Adb

Not possible. Recoveries support adb sideload but you need to use volume keys in recovery to enable it.

You could use fastboot to flash images you find in Windows flasher firmware packages but IIRC there's 256mb size limitation to what fastboot can write on this device. Stock /system images are larger than that.

Edited by KonstaT

• 4 weeks later...
Guest niedjar

Hi all,i need qcn file to restore imei because my phone imei is 0 after brick ...you can upload a qcn file zte kis 3..sory for my bad english..thanks before...

• 2 months later...
Guest rafaelweed

How i install this?? I want get back to stock but i have the TWRp Recovery installed and the lollipop custom rom installed on my zte kis 3

Guest KonstaT
1 hour ago, rafaelweed said:

How i install this?? I want get back to stock but i have the TWRp Recovery installed and the lollipop custom rom installed on my zte kis 3

Easiest way is of course to restore a nandroid backup you've made of your stock ROM.

If you haven't done that, then you start by reading the first post of this thread.

Edited by KonstaT