[DEV][ROM][2.8.] CAF Firefox OS - B2G for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

• 3 weeks later...
Guest KonstaT
New build. It's very possible that this will be the final build. It seems that Qualcomm might have abandoned msm8610/msm8226 platforms on Firefox OS. There hasn't been any activity since november. It looks like they're moving on with msm8909 and B2G 2.2 (BTW ZTE just released 'Open L' in MWC2015 that utilizes this platform).

b2g-20150306-kis3.zip
md5:5db6fcdfe5fb4902271c3b2d5045ee67

-use userspace implementation to set correct wlan MAC address
-add camera wrapper to disable unsupported HDR mode
-add few more locales and keyboard layouts (Nederlands, Russia, Turkey)
-enable seccomp in kernel (required for shallow flashing B2G > 2.0?)

Guest Filip9610

Any plans for moving to 2.1 or is it still too unstable ? By the way great build.

EDIT: And can you please add Macedonian locate and keyboard in the next build. Thanks :D

Edited by Filip9610

Guest KonstaT

Any plans for moving to 2.1 or is it still too unstable ? By the way great build.

EDIT: And can you please add Macedonian locate and keyboard in the next build. Thanks :D

These builds are based on CAF releases. That is something that an OEM would use for their stock firmware if they were doing a Firefox OS device with Qualcomm hardware. This build is based on the latest release for this platform so there is nothing newer available. I've also already included all localization that is available at CAF.

It would be possible to use Gaia/Gecko sources directly from Mozilla (2.1/2.2/master/etc) and the base hardware adaption from this CAF release. That would be a completely different project altogether and I'm not sure I'm going to pick that up.

Guest celrau

It would be possible to use Gaia/Gecko sources directly from Mozilla (2.1/2.2/master/etc) and the base hardware adaption from this CAF release. That would be a completely different project altogether and I'm not sure I'm going to pick that up.

Please do it if it's not too much work. I've built v2.1 based on your rom (previous release) as per Mozilla MDN and everything worked except being able to mount the SD card on my Linux box. Why v2.1, because it's stable and I was able to apply some patches to Gecko in order to have led notifications for missed calls/sms and led light for the home button but the SD card issue kept me on JB base.

Guest KonstaT

Please do it if it's not too much work. I've built v2.1 based on your rom (previous release) as per Mozilla MDN and everything worked except being able to mount the SD card on my Linux box. Why v2.1, because it's stable and I was able to apply some patches to Gecko in order to have led notifications for missed calls/sms and led light for the home button but the SD card issue kept me on JB base.

I doubt that will happen but in that case it would be more likely something bleeding edge (Mozilla master branch). I personally don't have much interest in using Firefox OS as my daily driver but it's still an interesting thing to play around with once in a while and to see the OS evolve.

My main goal here was to get a KitKat based build for this device and consolidate the B2G-CAF sources so that any msm8610/msm8226 device could easily do the same thing (I'm using these same sources for my Moto G build). That mission has been accomplished. :)

French community is releasing Firefox OS builds in various flavors. Now that ZTE has finally released the kernel source for stock Firefox OS, I wouldn't have much problem running something based on that on my device (I wouldn't run something that is not GPL compliant). It's of course only updating the top layers (Gaia, Gecko) when there's much more that could be built from the source now. That will probably still remain the quickest way to get regular updates to newer B2G versions (unless you're building yourself of course).

Guest celrau

I doubt that will happen but in that case it would be more likely something bleeding edge (Mozilla master branch). I personally don't have much interest in using Firefox OS as my daily driver but it's still an interesting thing to play around with once in a while and to see the OS evolve.

My main goal here was to get a KitKat based build for this device and consolidate the B2G-CAF sources so that any msm8610/msm8226 device could easily do the same thing (I'm using these same sources for my Moto G build). That mission has been accomplished. :)

French community is releasing Firefox OS builds in various flavors. Now that ZTE has finally released the kernel source for stock Firefox OS, I wouldn't have much problem running something based on that on my device (I wouldn't run something that is not GPL compliant). It's of course only updating the top layers (Gaia, Gecko) when there's much more that could be built from the source now. That will probably still remain the quickest way to get regular updates to newer B2G versions (unless you're building yourself of course).

Right. Can't argue with that. My interest  was to see if I can get something more usable out of this device and Firefox OS.

• 2 months later...
Guest micmon
There's a link to a windows flasher in the stock ROMs thread. It's similar to the one that is used to flash 'unlocked' Firefox OS, it just has Kis 3 Android firmware.

Would you please point me to the exact download? Not sure which one you mean...

Guest KonstaT

Is there a difference between the two tools on that page (Open_C_upgrade_Tool vs PSTW_SDT_OPENCEBAY1.0.0B03)?

Then I can just flash any of the KIS 3 Android ROMs from the stock ROM thread using this tool?

There's one tool (Open_C_upgrade_Tool) for flashing the Firefox OS engineering builds (US and EU) and another tool (PSTW_SDT_OPENCEBAY1.0.0B03) for flashing the Android firmware (GEN_EU_P821E10V1.0.0B10_FUS_DL).

No, 'regular' stock firmware packages are flashed in the stock recovery. Windows flasher is a 'lower level' tool and it can also e.g. change the partition layout of your device. This also means it's a bit more risky than simply installing packages in recovery.

Guest micmon

No, 'regular' stock firmware packages are flashed in the stock recovery. Windows flasher is a 'lower level' tool and it can also e.g. change the partition layout of your device. This also means it's a bit more risky than simply installing packages in recovery.

So in order to convert Open C to KIS 3 partition layout (to get more of the internal memory usable for the CM 12.1 ROM) I would just use the PSTW_SDT_OPENCEBAY1.0.0B03 tool? But I think I need to select some ROM package from inside this tool?

Guest KonstaT

So in order to convert Open C to KIS 3 partition layout (to get more of the internal memory usable for the CM 12.1 ROM) I would just use the PSTW_SDT_OPENCEBAY1.0.0B03 tool? But I think I need to select some ROM package from inside this tool?

Errm, that would be GEN_EU_P821E10V1.0.0B10_FUS_DL from the same site.

You'll also likely need to revert back to stock firmware first to get your device recognized by the tool.

Guest micmon

Errm, that would be GEN_EU_P821E10V1.0.0B10_FUS_DL from the same site.

You'll also likely need to revert back to stock firmware first to get your device recognized by the tool.

It all makes sense now :D  Thanks again for explaining!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mh123

Hi KonstaT!

Thanks for your effort. The b2g-20150306-kis3.zip firmware works fine, except one major bug. The phone crashes during phone calls (every 3rd call or so). It crashes so badly that I have to remove the battery.

Guest KonstaT

Hi KonstaT!

Thanks for your effort. The b2g-20150306-kis3.zip firmware works fine, except one major bug. The phone crashes during phone calls (every 3rd call or so). It crashes so badly that I have to remove the battery.

Are you sure it's only a problem with this firmware on your device?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1003430

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1017604

Guest mh123

Are you sure it's only a problem with this firmware on your device?

Oh, it seems this is a low-level firmware bug. The French mozilla community found out, that this bug was fixed in a recent ZTE firmware, but not for rooted phones.

Their instructions also worked for my ZTE Open C EU. http://builds.firefoxos.mozfr.org/doc/fr/maj-firmware-modem However, I also needed to reset the underlying (Android?) system, so I cannot use your build with this firmware update. So I am currently testing the Firefox OS Community edition http://builds.firefoxos.mozfr.org/doc/en/devices/zte-open-c-eu

Guest KonstaT

Oh, it seems this is a low-level firmware bug. The French mozilla community found out, that this bug was fixed in a recent ZTE firmware, but not for rooted phones.

Their instructions also worked for my ZTE Open C EU. http://builds.firefoxos.mozfr.org/doc/fr/maj-firmware-modem However, I also needed to reset the underlying (Android?) system, so I cannot use your build with this firmware update. So I am currently testing the Firefox OS Community edition http://builds.firefoxos.mozfr.org/doc/en/devices/zte-open-c-eu

I still highly doubt it's the modem alone. More likely something to do with the cell carrier you're using or some strange hardware related issue. Or a combination of the previous. Most devices work just fine without any modem updates. I think this was only the third insident I've heard of so it doesn't seem to be that widespread issue. Modem firmware is still a blackbox and it's quite impossible to say exactly what ZTE have actually changed (if anything besides the version number ;) - there's also modems in the stock Android firmwares with the same version number but different size/checksum).

Yeah, French community builds are probably a better option if you want to test newer Firefox OS versions. This build is already based on the latest CAF release and AFAICT they're not providing updates for this hardware anymore (msm8610). I'll likely have a fix for a headset issue that was reported but I'm not even sure if I'm going to bother releasing a new build over that. I already consider this quite complete and I've already achieved the goals I had with this build (consolidating my B2G-CAF sources so that any msm8610/msm8226 device could quite easily do a Firefox OS build).

Guest KonstaT

After I installed os firefox. the signal does not appear and the note input sim card. how do I fix it

Because it's not even supposed to work on dual-SIM devices (which you also completely failed to mention)...

Please, we've been through this already.

Guest primanug2217

Because it's not even supposed to work on dual-SIM devices (which you also completely failed to mention)...

Please, we've been through this already.

os firefox does not fit in ZTE kis 3. I already post both sim card ..but anyway (sim card input)

Guest KonstaT

os firefox does not fit in ZTE kis 3. I already post both sim card ..but anyway (sim card input)

Seriously, what part of this are you still not understanding?! Your dual-SIM device is still a dual-SIM device no matter how many SIM cards you've inserted. It also doesn't matter what they've decided to brand your dual-SIM device in your area (V811W, Kis 3, or whatever). I've already explained all this to you in CyanogenMod threads.

If you'd actually bothered to search/read, or even politely asked if there was something that needs to be done on dual-SIM devices, you would have found this. As usual, I've received exactly zero feedback on this.

If someone wants to test dual-SIM, there's few lines you need to add to /system/build.prop. No idea if it will actually work but it should at least expose both SIM slots.

persist.radio.multisim.config=dsds
ro.moz.ril.numclients=2
ro.moz.ril.0.network_types=gsm,wcdma
ro.moz.ril.1.network_types=gsm,wcdma

Guest primanug2217

Seriously, what part of this are you still not understanding?! Your dual-SIM device is still a dual-SIM device no matter how many SIM cards you've inserted. It also doesn't matter what they've decided to brand your dual-SIM device in your area (V811W, Kis 3, or whatever).

If you'd actually bothered to search/read, or even politely asked if there was something that needs to be done on dual-SIM devices, you would have found this. As usual, I've received exactly zero feedback on this.

It is not my intention? I mean after after I installed os firefox second sim card is not detected (no signal)