[DEV][ROM][2.8.] CAF Firefox OS - B2G for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

Do you mean that stability isn't an absolute concern, or that we genuinely shouldn't use the build daily? Just wanted to be sure.

Just some standard copy-paste from my other B2G threads. :P Applies to maturity of Firefox OS in general as much as anything else (I guess you don't care about this if you bought a Firefox OS device - I'd probably say the same thing about stock ZTE Firefox OS build that comes shipped with Open C). All I'm saying I am not/haven't/wouldn't personally use it as my daily driver. There's no known reason why someone else couldn't...

KonstaT, for setting up your build env, do you use start from scratch with

https://storage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo

or from

github.com/mozilla-b2g/B2G

?

Edited by spalock

KonstaT, for setting up your build env, do you use start from scratch with

https://storage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo

or from

github.com/mozilla-b2g/B2G

?

What are you trying to do? I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

First is the repo tool (git wrapper Google wrote for Android) and you should already have it somewhere on your $PATH. Second is what you'd start with if you were building 'regular' Mozilla B2G (not CAF). In that case please refer to official Firefox OS porting documentation.

Well my build env started by cloning github.com/mozilla-b2g/B2G while following the official b2g build guide you mentioned.

But after reading things here and there about caf, I am doubtful that's the right starting point and I was wondering whether I should start solely from the repo tool.

My current build issues with ffos 2.1 are missing rules for some build target under system, I was thinking there may be some mismatch between 2.1 repos and the build env.

You could try

su
setprop persist.sys.usb.config diag,modem,nmea,mass_storage,adb
setprop sys.usb.config diag,modem,nmea,mass_storage,adb

in adb shell.

It worked and survived a reboot. :)

It worked and survived a reboot. :)

Great, would be interesting to know how your device got into the wrong mode though.

How to save (export/import) old sms to the new release ?

No idea to be honest. I doubt you need to wipe data if you update from my previous build.

this release seems almost perfect, how can we help fix the camera?

Fix? It's not broken. :o

issues media scanner and camera temperamental, first page.

have you found a zte open 2 kernel source?

Most likely upstream B2G issues that I'm not going to do anything about. There's nothing device/hardware specific that's wrong with it afaict.

I haven't even found the Open C Firefox OS kernel source. :P Open II is also a msm8x10 device so very likely both could be compiled from the same source if ZTE ever released it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Konstat,

I wish to build B2G-CAF using the instructions on github, but I want to make a Open C only build, so either repartition the nand, or bring back the internal storage

I'm still trying to find your commit which disables the internal sdcard, but I cant find it here, would you be able to tell me what you changed?

https://github.com/KonstaT/android_device_zte_kis3/commit/b58d8a2dc405f369a4cb5e52628cb42b552bafcf

Hi Konstat,

I wish to build B2G-CAF using the instructions on github, but I want to make a Open C only build, so either repartition the nand, or bring back the internal storage

I'm still trying to find your commit which disables the internal sdcard, but I cant find it here, would you be able to tell me what you changed?

https://github.com/KonstaT/android_device_zte_kis3/commit/b58d8a2dc405f369a4cb5e52628cb42b552bafcf

How about you just add a mount point for internal storage like you would on any other Android build.

https://source.android.com/devices/tech/storage/config.html

• 1 month later...
Guest KonstaT
New build. Updated to the latest CAF release from yesterday. Not much new on the CAF B2G side afaict and everything seems to work fine like in the previous build. It's still 2.0 in LNX.LF.3.5.1 tags even though LNX.LF.3.4 tags have already moved to 2.1. I built one those a while back and there's quite a few problems on this device so it's not something worth releasing.

b2g-20141105-kis3.zip
md5:c7939bf0fdb9b8029c6df7f74b9004b6

-update to latest CAF release LNX.LF.3.5.1-11900-8x10.0
-set correct wifi MAC address from file (/persist/wifimac.dat) with ZTE kernel driver
-unload wifi driver when switching tethering mode
-update bluetooth configuration

If someone wants to test dual-SIM, there's few lines you need to add to /system/build.prop. No idea if it will actually work but it should at least expose both SIM slots.
persist.radio.multisim.config=dsds
ro.moz.ril.numclients=2
ro.moz.ril.0.network_types=gsm,wcdma
ro.moz.ril.1.network_types=gsm,wcdma

Guest spalock

Thanks for that new build. :-)

As of now pretty much all the basic features work, but I am no longer able to connect to my home wifi: it shows 'obtaining IP address' but never connects. EAP-SIM authentication still does not work with that build.

Edited by spalock

Guest KonstaT

Thanks for that new build. :-)

As of now pretty much all the basic features work, but I am no longer able to connect to my home wifi: it shows 'obtaining IP address' but never connects. EAP-SIM authentication still does not work with that build.

Clean installation? 'rm -rf /data/misc/wifi' at least. It connected just fine on my router when I tested it. I have nothing to test EAP-SIM but I'm quite sure it's not even supposed to work without setting the property to enable it. Logcat?

There shouldn't be any notable changes in anything related to wifi besides that your device now has a different MAC address of course.

Guest spalock

No clean installation, I was not aware of that actually.

What other data would you suggest to remove besides /data/misc/wifi?

Edited by spalock

Guest KonstaT

No clean installation, I was not aware of that actually.

What other data would you suggest to remove besides /data/misc/wifi?

And try restarting your router too. If it has a problem with your device's MAC changing. Removing that directory will remove all data of wifi networks and hotspots you've configured and it should be more than enough (turn wifi off, remove, reboot). Or maybe just forgetting and reconfiguring your network would work.

Wiping isn't usually necessary when updating Android ROMs but I actually have zero experience in dirty flashing Firefox OS. I've never really used it as daily driver on any device and never had any data set up that I'd care about (so always a clean install). I still maintain my 'no wipe - no whine' policy. :P

Guest spalock

I tried everything you suggested to no avail, now I'm trying your CM build: home wifi is OK but still no EAP-SIM.

I'm investigating and will eventually post in the relevant thread. :-)

Guest Yusuf Algadri

This is my build of Firefox OS for ZTE Open C / Kis 3 (Beeline Smart2, Moche/MEO Smart A16, ZTE V811W, etc). This is not meant for daily use (or any use really), it's just something for advanced users to play with.

This build is based on the latest CAF release LNX.LF.3.5.1-11900-8x10.0 and it's Boot2Gecko 2.0.0.0-prerelease.

Important. Prerequisites!!! You need to install Android KitKat on your Open C first (e.g. EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip will do). Yes, that's right - this build is based on KitKat unlike the official ZTE Open C Firefox OS firmware. You also need to have this ClockWorkMod recovery installed (TWRP seems to have some issues with CAF otapackages :o).

attachicon.gif2014-08-20-15-10-38.png attachicon.gif2014-08-20-15-12-19.png attachicon.gif2014-08-20-15-11-51.png attachicon.gif2014-08-20-15-13-00.png

Do not mirror my builds! Please post a link to this thread instead.

b2g-20141105-kis3.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/?xzediqe4d2bjhzi

md5:c7939bf0fdb9b8029c6df7f74b9004b6

Working:

• RIL (mobile network, data & SMS)
  • Wifi
  • Audio (playback/input/routing/headphones/etc)
  • Bluetooth
  • Camera (photos & camcorder)
  • FM radio
  • GPS
  • Hardware acceleration and OpenGL rendering
  • Hardware video decoding & encoding
  • SD card (only external)
  • USB-storage (on external sdcard) & adb
  • USB-tethering
  • Wifi-tethering
  • Touchscreen/multi-touch
  • Sensors
  • LEDs
Not working:
  • ???
Issues:
  • Something wrong with media scanner - everything works fine after once visiting 'Settings->Media storage' and letting it fetch SD card statistics.
  • Camera is a bit temperamental sometimes - it's recommended to close the camera app from multi-tasking view after using.
Sources:Thanks:
  • CAF & Mozilla/B2G
Sir, can i port this ROM into my Phone Andromax C2 please? [emoji4]

Thank you ,,

Guest KonstaT

Sir, can i port this ROM into my Phone Andromax C2 please? [emoji4]

Thank you ,,

Please don't quote the whole OP. I'm not quite sure what you're asking either.

Yes, you should be able to port this ROM to other Qualcomm msm8610 devices running KitKat base if you know what you're doing. There's instructions how to build in my github (and more on the bottom of the first page of this thread). I've commonized my B2G-CAF sources so that any Qualcomm B-family device (msm8610/msm8226/msm8974) should be relatively easy to bring up. As for winzip ports, I don't know - I don't do those.

And no, I'm not going to port anything to devices I don't have myself if that was what you were asking...

Guest Yusuf Algadri

Please don't quote the whole OP. I'm not quite sure what you're asking either.

Yes, you should be able to port this ROM to other Qualcomm msm8610 devices running KitKat base if you know what you're doing. There's instructions how to build in my github (and more on the bottom of the first page of this thread). I've commonized my B2G-CAF sources so that any Qualcomm B-family device (msm8610/msm8226/msm8974) should be relatively easy to bring up. As for winzip ports, I don't know - I don't do those.

And no, I'm not going to port anything to devices I don't have myself if that was what you were asking...

Thank you sir ,,

I'm sorry before ,, [emoji20]

• 2 weeks later...