How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest robin0800

Here is the Hudl 2 drivers http://athena.outer-reaches.com/wp/index.php/archives/1170 top left hand corner. You may have to disable driver signing  to get them in, you need the two adb ones one for adb to reboot Hudl to boot loader and the second to make the flash work. You have to be very quick with the second command, issue first command and have second command ready to go as soon as the Hudl is in boot loader mode if you wait too long it won't flash.

Guest robin0800

Thanks Robin. Driver loaded (adb composite) ok but still same result. Get screen messages as previous tries. I give up!

I think you need the mtp one also to use the flash, check your device manager for an error while the hudl is in boot loader mode

Guest Desolutional

Here is the Hudl 2 drivers http://athena.outer-reaches.com/wp/index.php/archives/1170 top left hand corner. You may have to disable driver signing  to get them in, you need the two adb ones one for adb to reboot Hudl to boot loader and the second to make the flash work. You have to be very quick with the second command, issue first command and have second command ready to go as soon as the Hudl is in boot loader mode if you wait too long it won't flash.

This is the original Hudl 1, Hudl 2 drivers are temperamental, I downloaded the Google USB Driver and that works a charm: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

If that one doesn't work, try: https://software.intel.com/en-us/android/articles/intel-usb-driver-for-android-devices

Edited by Desolutional

Guest Desolutional

Making progress! Get blue  message at bottem of Hudl screen :Result OK,

in Cmd window says unable to open img file.

Try downloading the img file again, it might have been corrupted. If not, make sure you're typing in the img file name correctly.

Guest s.windsor

Not that I'm aware of. People are able to to reinstall a bootable image. My problem is the eextracted image is not able to be read by Fastboot (or anything else for that matter!!) Have reloaded, unzipped, unrar. You name it I've tried. Any body got archive that has worked? What did you use to extract filers? Can you attach a copy of img file please or zip then can see if get usable img file.

Many thanks

Guest Desolutional

Is rooting the Hudl 2 still in development stages?

I'd say it is an Alpha (Public) phase. Possible, but if any significant changes such as bootloader or OTA occur, only Paul can fix the packages.

Guest stevehudl2

Is Paul still around, I might have missed it but I have not found any thing from him on his meet with the tesco devs, would be great to hearnwhat ye asked them and what they had to say about his root.

Anyway, on to my issues I hope someone on here can help me on this one.

Firstly the PC I am using is running windows xp pro.

I have had big troubles with drivers, nothing would work, the tablet would just trigger a load of driver install wizards that failed and adb would do nothing, could not see any devces.

I tried to install the adb driver through that auto installer tool but it wouod fail every time I tried it.

I then noticed that I was getting a "found mtp device" popup from the taskbar in windows every time I plugged the hudl in, I started googling and ended up installing a Microsoft media transfer protocol tools application that microsoft said contained the mtp drivers needed.

After installing the mtp stuff from microsoft I went back to the adb driver auto installer and it worked right away and said completed instead of failed horray!

My next step was to try adb again and sure enough, "adb-windows reboot boot loader" found the device and rebooted it into boot loader!

Now I'm in business I thought and my next plan was to flash it with the rooted image but sadly not, on the tablet I get a bunch of messages saying things have been ignored and at the bottom a message saying no valid file had been found.

On my PC fastbot starts to try and push the rooted image and everything looks promising but it reaches "waiting for device"

And never moves on.

I still have a issue with "andriod phone" in device manager that I am sure his the cause but cant find out how to fix and oddly, even though I have installed the Mtp stuff, I still occasionally get "found mtp device" pop up from the taskbar on PC but now it no longer results in a found new hardware install wizard opening.

So thats where I am at the moment, I'm propper stuck and have no idea what my next move should be!

I've rooted and flashed loads of things, at least 4 android phones 2 windows phones and countless windows mobile devices, I've had my share of headaches trying to get things to work but have always found the way in the end and it always seems to be something silly like a single file not in the right folder or somthing like that but I have gone though every google page I can find trying to find all the right things and not found the answer, aggghhhhhhh!

Pleeeeeeeeeeease can anyone help me on this one?

Thanks in advance, Steve.

Edited by stevehudl2

Guest stevehudl2

Update, managed to get drivers installed but now i get the "device reported max size" and "could not load hudl2.IMG" errors, any advice please, Steve.

Edited by stevehudl2

Is Paul still around, I might have missed it but I have not found any thing from him on his meet with the tesco devs, would be great to hearnwhat ye asked them and what they had to say about his root.

I can't speak for Paul but my guess is he's not at liberty to talk about anything he discussed with the developers.  Fairly normal procedure. 

Guest stevehudl2

I wondered as it seems he has not posted at all in this topic since he was due to see the devs, wondering if he has been silenced?

Still haven't managed to find out what's going wrong with this flash attempt, keep getting those errors if anyone can help.

Also, does anyone know if there is a safe way to hard reset should it be needed at any time after root or does this permanently render the device in a state where it cannot be hard reset?

All o.s get dirty after a while and a reinstall is needed to clear out the jump that builds up, I hard reset most of my devices now and then or flash them with backups I made when they were first flashed, it appears to me that you can do neither after flashing this hudl2 can someone tel me if I'm wrong, I just want to know what the score is, its not likely to stop me rooting, I need root for just about all the apps I'm used to on my phone!

Steve.

Guest Gazzap45

The question I want to ask is this. Hudl2 is supposed to get an update on the 5th of Jan of this year, will a new root solution turn up after this? I like the Hudl2 great for its price but I am pissed at the lack of support for SD cards, yeah that is down to Kitkat and not the Hudl but if I update how do I roll back and root? So far not been touched by the not charging and time bug.

Guest Gazzap45

I don't want to be stuck with a 'stock' android that can not have meaningful access to its SD card, after all that is why I bought a Droid tab rather than an Apple tab!

Guest stevehudl2

The question I want to ask is this. Hudl2 is supposed to get an update on the 5th of Jan of this year, will a new root solution turn up after this? I like the Hudl2 great for its price but I am pissed at the lack of support for SD cards, yeah that is down to Kitkat and not the Hudl but if I update how do I roll back and root? So far not been touched by the not charging and time bug.

The answer to your question is probably!

I messaged Paul and he said he would update the root if any further updates came out, he is away at the moment and will say hi to everyone and answer some questions when he gets back.

You could still root this current version and block updates (you should block updates anyway) , you would not have a problem should paul not be able to release a root image for the new version for a while and would just be on the older version.

IF THERE IS GOING TO BE A UPDATE, I would personally wait untill Paul has spoken about it before allowing the tablet to update, it may or may not prevent whatever Paul does to root, we just don't know.

Edited by stevehudl2

Guest benzodiazepines

Regarding the SD problem, while this issue is built into AOSP, Tesco can modify its official ROM to disable the blocks just like we can when we root. So they could very easily add this in the next update if they wanted. Not to say they will, but it'd be very easy if they wanted to. Honestly I'm surprised they haven't done it already. The restrictions were put in place only because Google want you to use their cloud storage, that's pretty much it (and this is also why you don't see microSD slots in Nexus devices anymore).

Guest glossywhite

Hint: We're not doing it this way for fun. ;)

P

Exactly, right? That would be like saying:

"I was thinking of going for a day trip from Bedford to London tomorrow, and I can get there in 40 mins by train; however, maybe it would be quicker via Edinburgh?..."

Guest stevehudl2

Mr Paul are you back yet? I could do with some help getting past the filesize error when I try to flash please.

I would also like to know what my options are after root should I need to hard reset this device, my understanding is that once your root is flashed you can't hard reset the H2, what if theres a problem that would normally be delt with via hard reset?

Can we flash back to stock and h reset then re root again?

I'm a bit apprehensive about rooting if it leaves the tablet stuck on its current install without the option of ever hard resetting.

Thanks, Steve.

Edited by stevehudl2

Guest state-it

Mr Paul are you back yet? I could do with some help getting past the filesize error when I try to flash please.

I know I can't possibly speak for Paul , but :

Have you seen the list of other things Paul tinkers with / has an interest in ?

http://www.modaco.com/index

Where do you think the HUDL2 may come on this list?

Edited by state-it

Guest stevehudl2

I know I can't possibly speak for Paul , but : Have you seen the list of other things Paul tinkers with / has an interest in ? http://www.modaco.com/index Where do you think the HUDL2 may come on this list?

He seems to be a very busy man who puts his intelligence to very good use but I messaged him and he said that he was away but would be continuing development on this and would be popping in this thread to say hi and answer any questions he could and help people out.

I'm sure the H2 is not on the top his list too but he has not abandoned it ether which it good news for all of us!