How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Nice paul do we need to unroot, flash to stock or can we just update with ota and re-root?

Just update with OTA and re-root (provided you've not changed system partition files obviously).

P

Guest r00tmydevices

Hi Paul.

And in my case, where I have neither rooted before nor accepted OTA updates since purchase of my Hudl 2 last month, can I just follow instructions in your original post but using the file(s) you uploaded today?

Thanks.

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi Paul.

And in my case, where I have neither rooted before nor accepted OTA updates since purchase of my Hudl 2 last month, can I just follow instructions in your original post but using the file(s) you uploaded today?

Thanks.

Yup, it's still uploading.

P

Guest arnookie

Hi Paul,

A little of topic but does your hudl 2 display seem duller than on other devices. Mine just looks dull and lacks contrast and vivid colours.

Its not bad when on full brightness but seems really dull with anything less than 85% brightness.

Just my screen seems really dull compared to my galaxy note 3 even at 50% brightness and the hudl 2 at 85% 

Anyone who has updated/changed any system fies (i.e. build.prop etc) just reflash your current build with Paul's rooted version for your current build, then do the OTA updated, then reflash with Paul's latest rooted system image.

Cheers Paul.

:ninja:

Guest SunnyJim

I rooted with "191216" and it worked like a charm. Unfortunately didn't read through enough pages of the forum to see if OTA was confirmed ok and how to disable it.

Anyway to my relief the OTA Jan 2015 went on OK. Just found the device was no longer rooted though.

So I rooted again as per original instructions, and it rebooted OK.

Now whenever I put in any SD card it gets immediately unmounted!

Oh well it's a cautionary tale - on a rooted device after OTA update I should have re-rooted with the appropriate NEW image.

Done that and all seems well - phew.

Edited by SunnyJim

Guest stevehudl2

Paul, I'm seeing some comments about hard resets and they seem to look promising, is it now OK to hard reset the H2 if its needed at any point after its been rooted or is there still a problem with it seeking to do a check during initial setup and failing?

Also what do you mean by changing system partition files? Would xposed modules modify this area meaning in future a reflash would be needed before installing further otas that might come out?

Lastly, I cannot get the rooted image to flash to the device, keeps giving the download file size error and failing, please can you help???

Cheers, Steve.

Guest Normola

Think I might have bricked my hudl :(

I had disabled some of the tesco apps and did a wipe without thinking.  Now I can't get past the 'Update available' screen as it just fails and brings me back again.  Any way to recover?

-- Edit --

Tried everything I can think of.  Last thing to try will be a proxy to try and intercept and fake the update call.  Probably a weekend job though.  Unless anyone has anything I might have overlooked.

Edited by Normola

Guest PaulOBrien

Paul, I'm seeing some comments about hard resets and they seem to look promising, is it now OK to hard reset the H2 if its needed at any point after its been rooted or is there still a problem with it seeking to do a check during initial setup and failing?

Hmm, i'm not familiar with this, rooted only should be OK, might be a problem if you've modified /system though.

Also what do you mean by changing system partition files? Would xposed modules modify this area meaning in future a reflash would be needed before installing further otas that might come out?

Xposed itself is a system mod.

Lastly, I cannot get the rooted image to flash to the device, keeps giving the download file size error and failing, please can you help???

Have you unzipped it?

Think I might have bricked my hudl :(

I had disabled some of the tesco apps and did a wipe without thinking.  Now I can't get past the 'Update available' screen as it just fails and brings me back again.  Any way to recover?

-- Edit --

Tried everything I can think of.  Last thing to try will be a proxy to try and intercept and fake the update call.  Probably a weekend job though.  Unless anyone has anything I might have overlooked.

Is there an error on screen when the update fails? Had you disabled by deleting or disabled using Titanium or similar? The latter is always safer!

P

Guest slannesh

Updated and rooted successfully, thanks Paul

For the record, exactly as Paul said, from a previously rooted H2 (rooted with Paul's method and previous OTA)

Downloaded and updated January OTA, lost root access.

Applied Paul's image, root access regained.

I did see a "maximum download size" message and thought that the root had failed, but left it and it continued without issue.

Cheers, Steve.

I had a load of xposed modules running before the January OTA update.

Before I ran the OTA, I opened up xposed, disabled all modules and rebooted.  I then opened up xposed, uninstalled the xposed framework and rebooted. 

I then ran the OTA update with no problems at all.

I had also freezed all of the tesco bloat like groceries with Titanium Backup and totally forgot about that when I ran the OTA, but it still installed without any errors.

Hope this may help.

Guest SavageCore

Hi all

Just FYI, but similar to 4L0M I had xposed installed with advanced power menu and a few other bits but all I did was uninstall the framework.

The complete process for the curious:

• Uninstall xposed framework, leave app
  • Uninstall busybox, leave app
  • Left my custom boot animation in place
  • Restore default hosts file (AdAway)
  • OTA Update
  • Root
  • Install xposed (will also enable all modules :))
  • Reboot
  • Done :)

Cheers for the root Paul!

Edit: I also froze Best of blinkbox, blinkbox books, movies, music, child safety, get started, groceries, tesco bank, tesco photo and top apps.

Edited by SavageCore

Guest Normola

Is there an error on screen when the update fails? Had you disabled by deleting or disabled using Titanium or similar? The latter is always safer!

P

The files are renamed but I can't get in to change them back now.

Should still be rooted and might still be downloading play store apps in the background. Not sure if I can get anything installed that'll help though.

Will use titanium next time. Learning a lesson today. Never flash on little sleep!

A little annoyed that they force you to take the update.

post-705999-14219227762191_thumb.jpg

Guest speakeasy

Top man!

Hudl 2 will be the first Android device I've used and obviously my first ever attempt to root one. Any tips/recommendations on apps or changes to settings etc that experienced users can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

XPosed framework is epic, especially GravityBox (install XPosed first then installthe GravityBox module).  Google will tell you all you need to know.

Nova is a great launcher (just download from Play Store).

ES File Explorer

VLC (plays almost any media file)

NavFree (free satnav)

Google News (news)

Pulse

Enjoy :-)

Edited by speakeasy

Guest speakeasy

@Paul - I first encountered you / Modaco when I bought my first Android device (a ZTE Blade) and you sorted that brilliantly.

Then a long gap.

And now you have sorted my Hudl2.

You are a star.

Guest PaulOBrien

The files are renamed but I can't get in to change them back now.

Should still be rooted and might still be downloading play store apps in the background. Not sure if I can get anything installed that'll help though.

Will use titanium next time. Learning a lesson today. Never flash on little sleep!

A little annoyed that they force you to take the update.

I think your only option will be somehow spoofing it into thinking no update is available...

P

Guest Normola

I think your only option will be somehow spoofing it into thinking no update is available...

P

Was afraid you'd say that :/

Will give it a go over the weekend. Thanks :)