How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest r00tmydevices

So you're in the same place as me then?

Are you using Windows 7 and did you enable USB debugging?

Yes, we both appear to be in exactly the same boat!    :unsure:

Windows 7. Yes I enabled USB debugging plus developer mode first.

Not sure if this is significant but I was not prompted with regards to:

A message will pop up on screen asking you to authorise the connection.

I did get a popup on screen asking if I wished to open or explore device plus other options but not one to 'authorise the connection'.

Edited by r00tmydevices

Plea to Paul

Its great and now that they they all can see that your way will root the 2, can I ask if you could just spend some time for newbies and am sure that there are a lot out, can you please make idiots/step by step guide. It would make life so much easier and we would be eternally grateful. ;)

I have also just had my first failed attempt at following Paul's instructions. 

• Open a command prompt / terminal window to the location where you extracted the files

Not sure how to do this? I opened Command Prompt (searched for it in start menu then right-clicked and selected 'Run as administrator'. I then have C:\Windows\system32> displayed. Now my files were downloaded and extracted to a directory called Root within downloads directory of users on C: drive so I entered cd C:\Users\xxxx\Downloads\Root then entered 'adb-windows reboot bootloader' (without the quotes) and then receive following message:  error: device not found.

Hudl 2 is connected via microUSB, fully charged and switched on.

HELP please!

The easiest way to easily open a command prompt is to unzip your adb drivers somewhere easy to remember like C:,

then go to MY COMPUTER, HOLD SHIFT key on keyboard and right click on the folder that your unzipped your adb drivers and select "Open Command Window here"

The error : device not found sounds like your adb drivers are not installed correctly.

Have a look in DEVICE MANAGER on your pc with your HUDL2 plugged in, and see if you have any entries with a yellow exclamation mark on them in "Unknown Devices"......... It may say something like Android Phone with an exclamation mark.

Edited by 4L0M

Guest r00tmydevices

The easiest way to easily open a command prompt is to install your adb drivers somewhere easy to remember like C:,

then go to MY COMPUTER, HOLD SHIFT key on keyboard and right click on the folder that your installed your adb drivers and select "Open Command Window here"

When you say install adb drivers, from the ADB/ Fastboot tools I unzipped the download folder which contained 'adb-windows' and 'fastboot-windows files that showed as applications. I double-clicked those. A command prompt type window opened briefly in both instances with a load of text inside then both windows disappeared. I wasn't asked where I wished to install them. Have I correctly installed them?

Thanks.

Guest r00tmydevices

Have a look in DEVICE MANAGER on your pc with your HUDL2 plugged in, and see if you have any entries with a yellow exclamation mark on them in "Unknown Devices"......... It may say something like Android Phone with an exclamation mark.

Now why didn't I think to check that...duh?!?

Yes, I have a yellow exclamation mark beside: Other devices - ADB Interface.

How do I correct that? Update driver?

Guest seanspotatobusiness

Mine says "MTP" and is also under "Other devices". I tried right clicking, choosing Update Driver Software and directing Windows to the download folder but it says "Windows could not find the driver software for your device".

The instructions in the first post don't mention installing drivers. Do the instructions need to be updated now?

Edited by seanspotatobusiness

Guest r00tmydevices

Mine says "MTP" and is also under "Other devices". I tried right clicking, choosing Update Driver Software and directing Windows to the download folder but it says "Windows could not find the driver software for your device".

The instructions in the first post don't mention installing drivers. Do the instructions need to be updated now?

Which steps did you take in order to install ADB drivers? Just double-clicked 'adb-windows' file in the ADB / Fastboot tools download folder, like I did?

Guest seanspotatobusiness

Which steps did you take in order to install ADB drivers? Just double-clicked 'adb-windows' file in the ADB / Fastboot tools download folder, like I did?

I did run those .exe files but I was already fairly confident that doesn't install any drivers. They aren't meant to be run like that.

I uninstalled "MTP" and reconnected my Hudl and now device manager calls it "ADB device" like yours. I'm not further than you.

My understanding from reading elsewhere is that ADB drivers are device-specific so I don't understand where anyone got them.

Edited by seanspotatobusiness

Try to right click the Other devices - ADB interface Choose update driver software :

Then Choose "Browse my Computer"

Then Choose "Let me pick from a list of Device Drivers"

and see if there is any reference to ADB drivers or Android phone in there.

If you find one, try clicking on it and see if it works.

( You may get a warning about the certifcate not being signed, I did on x64 W8.1, but I just ignored it and it worked okay )

Edited by 4L0M

Guest r00tmydevices

You're correct they don't but...many times I've read mentions throughout this thread referring to ADB drivers needing to be installed.   :wacko:

Guest r00tmydevices

Try to right click the Other devices - ADB interface Choose update driver software :

Then Choose "Browse my Computer"

Then Choose "Let me pick from a list of Device Drivers"

and see if there is any reference to ADB drivers or Android phone in there.

If you find one, try clicking on it and see if it works.

( You may get a warning about the certifcate not being signed, I did on x64 W8.1, but I just ignored it and it worked okay )

Just tried that but unfortunately there is no reference to ADB nor Android phone in the list.

Guest Wychall

Many many thanks for this thread. I have successfully rooted my new Hudl2 so am a happy bunny.

My next task was to save a Nandroid backup, but without CWM or similar, how? I've tried an app called Online Nandroid Backup but it does not recognise the device. It has allowed me to do a backup but with errors saying it cannot find \boot or \recovery. What is everyone elses backup method for a rooted Hudl?

Guest r00tmydevices

Many many thanks for this thread. I have successfully rooted my new Hudl2 so am a happy bunny.

Any suggestions as to where I might be going wrong please?

Did you need to install ADB drivers and if so where did you obtain them from and how did you go about installing them?

Thanks. 

Guest r00tmydevices

Update. According to guide posted above, I have successfully installed ADB drivers but I still have the yellow ! next to:  Other devices ADB Interface.

Argh!   :(

Guest r00tmydevices

To anyone who has successfully rooted their Hudl 2 using a Windows 7 PC, please can you post a link to the necessary ADB drivers and how to install them in order that both myself and seanspotatobusiness can progress to the next step of Paul's instructions? I'm sure once we have got rid of the yellow exclamation mark next to our Hudl 2 tablet in device manager, the rest of it will be a breeze. Wishful thinking anyway, ha ha!   :D

Edited by r00tmydevices

Guest r00tmydevices

Can you remember what the name of the device in the list that you selected was called exactly?

Thanks.

Guest targetbsp

There's some actual HUDL 2 drivers earlier in the thread which work for ADB.  But they don't work when you reboot into fastboot.  The 'other' drivers from PDA.net work for that.

A combination of those two fulfilled by driver needs in Windows.

Guest r00tmydevices

There's some actual HUDL 2 drivers earlier in the thread which work for ADB.  But they don't work when you reboot into fastboot.  The 'other' drivers from PDA.net work for that.

A combination of those two fulfilled by driver needs in Windows.

Thanks for that. To aid me, in my so far failed attempt at performing my first root which has taken up more or less my whole afternoon, would you be so kind as to quote the two drivers you're referring to from earlier in this thread?

Guest targetbsp

These HUDL2 drivers: http://athena.outer-reaches.com/wp/index.php/archives/1170

(top left of the page)

No installer here, they have to be installed from device manager.  There's two drivers included, one works for 1 of your question marks in device manager, the other works for the other.

ADB will then work.  But when you drop into fastboot, you get a whole new device error in device manager.

Install this and choose 'other' device and fastboot will work: http://pdanet.co/a/

Thanks for that. To aid me, in my so far failed attempt at performing my first root which has taken up more or less my whole afternoon, would you be so kind as to quote the two drivers you're referring to from earlier in this thread?

Heh! Was just hunting them down as you posted the request! :D

Edited by targetbsp

Guest r00tmydevices

No installer here, they have to be installed from device manager.  

Next simpleton question...how do I install first two drivers from device manager? Looked through menu options, couldn't see anything that referred to installing drivers.

Tried right-clicking the ADB Interface yellow exclamation mark and choosing update driver, then navigating to the two drivers just downloaded but get to the end and it says Windows was unable to find any drivers!   :(

Edited by r00tmydevices

Guest targetbsp

Update driver and browse is what I did.  You have to select the folder (i think they are called mtp and debug or something?)  And each one only one for one of the device entries - but you have no way of knowing which is which!  So you may have to try both folders for the first device you are attempting to install.

btw... I'm assuming you are not doing this in Windows 8.  You're in for a world of hurt if you are because it doesn't allow unsigned drivers.  I do it from my XP based laptop rather than my Windows 8 desktop!

It's astonishing how crappy Android device drivers are for Windows.  It's like being back on Windows 95 before plug and play took off properly.

Guest r00tmydevices

Managed to install driver from pdanet link. Other devices > ADB Interface has disappeared from device manager altogether now. Not sure that's a good thing!   :blink:

Windows 7 thankfully. 

Think I might be getting somewhere, finally! Top of device manager list now says Android Phone > ADB Interface. No yellow exclamation mark. WOOHOO!! This, despite me not managing to install the Debug driver or MTP driver from the first link in your earlier reply.

Edited by r00tmydevices

Guest targetbsp

That mgiht be a great thing!  That might well mean it's the only needed driver.  Which would simplify things a lot.

It did say, when I installed it, that I had an existing ADB driver (the hudl 2 one) which suggests it was trying to install it's own.  But I was already passed that stage so I had no idea if it would have worked so didn;t recommend it above. :D

I would like to point out at this juncture that I intend to be drunk in 20 minutes and will then cease to be much use until tomorrow. :D