How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest crusader58

Is there likely to be un updated rooted image for build 20150319.222108?   It would be much appreciated.

Don't hold your breath, I've noticed Paul has been somewhat quiet on the hudl2 front ever since his meeting with the Tesco Techs.

Personally I don't think the current update is worth losing root for in the first place, I for one will not be installing it. Now, if Tesco were to push Lollipop I might consider it, a friend of mine just received a Lollipop upgrade pushed by EE for his Samsung Note 4...I'm hoping that this means others will start rolling it out (Tesco take note lol ).

Guest robin0800

Paul, if you have time, could you please make a rooted image of the march update?

Many thanks

Not needed now as used "This will definitely come in useful!"  thread Post 4 and Post 30 and managed to root my Hudl2 with the march update.

Note needed to use the T3 option to make cmw to work on the Hudl

Edited by robin0800

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bow9487

Hey @robin0800 Just looked at the post you mentioned. Before i start attempting to replicate have a go and root mine too. Could you give me a little bit more detail in regards to how you did it please?

Guest Robin Wheeler

From "this" in post 4 download the tool and the su update zip to a windows computer.

Download the new launcher in post 30.

Unzip the tool and replace the launcher, copy the su update zip to your hudl.

Ensure drivers for adb and droid boot are installed as per this thread. Enable USB debuging from developer settings on the hudl.

Start the tool and type T3 when asked for options, the hudl should reboot to the new recovery.

Navigate this to install zip from SD card, chose the su update zip copied earlier.

Reboot

Guest DynaMight

From "this" in post 4 download the tool and the su update zip to a windows computer.

Ensure drivers for adb and droid boot are installed as per this thread. Enable USB debuging from developer settings on the hudl.

Start the tool and type T3 when asked for options, the hudl should reboot to the new recovery.

Navigate this to install zip from SD card, chose the su update zip copied earlier.

Reboot

I can confirm this works, upgraded from a rooted Jan image to the latest March image & lost root. Followed the above guide and its now rooted. 

Guest EananC

Made a quick new user friendly guide on how to root using the latest firmware:

OK here is how to root the HUDL running the latest firmware:

Copy the su update zip (named “UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46” in the extracted folder from step 1) to your Hudl 2’s internal memory or preferably, its microSD card. Remember where you put it!

Ensure drivers for adb are installed. Run them from the “adbfastboothudl” folder in the zip folder from step 1.

Enable USB debugging from developer settings on the hudl. . 

If you don't know how to turn on USB Debugging, here is how: 

1. Go to Settings menu on your device.

2.Go to About tablet submenu. 

3.Now scroll to “Build Number” and tap it multiple times.
4.After tapping it enough times you will see an alert saying “You are now a developer”/”Developer mode has been enabled”.
5.Now if you go to your Settings menu, you will see the developer options submenu over there.
6.Tap on the Developer options and then turn on USB Debugging.

Start the root process by clicking double clicking “launcher” in the “IntelAndroid-FBRL-01-17-2015” folder and watch your HUDL screen. It may show a pop up asking to accept your PC’s “fingerprint” or something like that and show a long number of random characters. Click accept. 

On the next window type “T3” without quotes when asked for options.

The Hudl should reboot to the new recovery which is CWM recovery. The screen should be grey and show a Hat symbol. 

Navigate to “install from SD Card” using the volume keys and the power button is enter. Then to install zip from SD card and chose the “UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46” zip you copied earlier.

Click enter and wait.

It should reboot your hudl back to normal and it will be rooted.

*OBLIGATORY* I am not responsible for a bricked HUDL or any damage done to it. I dont know if this voids the warranty also but it shouldn't. If you follow the guide it will be easy and hard to break your hudl.
Edited by EananC

Guest bow9487

Reboot

Thank you Robin, Ill have a go a little later. Im running a Mac so ill have to dig in to the tool and find what commands are used to flash the recovery. and try and adapt this for us on OSX. If i'm successful ill build a tool to help other mac users. 

Guest bow9487

Thank you EananC, Very helpful. Once i have two mins (In work currently) Ill Try and build a tool for both windows and Mac to simplify the whole process if its possible. 

By the way, How did Paul Pull of the Rooted Images on the first post. Im willing to wipe my device, Root the fresh OS and create images like pauls if any one can point me to the command (adb?) If thats Useful to any others that are not so comfortable doing it this way. As i have also already created a tool to flash those Images for Mac users already. Wouldn't take me long to create one for Windows as well. That way hopfuly we can get the rooted images ready pretty quickly after new updates are out.

Guest bow9487

Thank you EananC, Very helpful. Once i have two mins (In work currently) Ill Try and build a tool for both windows and Mac to simplify the whole process if its possible. 

By the way, How did Paul Pull of the Rooted Images on the first post. Im willing to wipe my device, Root the fresh OS and create images like pauls if any one can point me to the command (adb?) If thats Useful to any others that are not so comfortable doing it this way. As i have also already created a tool to flash those Images for Mac users already. Wouldn't take me long to create one for Windows as well. That way hopfuly we can get the rooted images ready pretty quickly after new updates are out.

Guest tjknight83

Ensure drivers for adb are installed. Run them from the “adbfastboothudl” folder in the zip folder from step 1.

Thanks so much for this, EananC. Bought mine today and was worried I would be stuck with the Tesco crap.

Re: the above quote, how do I install the drivers? Just wanna make sure I know exactly what I'm doing - no room for error.

Guest BlackenedEDIT

Hi guys,

I'm struggling with this. The tethered cwm method seems like it should be simple, however I run the .bat, use trigger 3, hudl2 reboots into Driodboot. Then...

E:installer device ignored

FASTBOOT INIT

E:no valid installer medium found

at the bottom of the screen and then the 4 default options to pick from : Reboot Driodboot, Reboot, Recovery or Fastboot.

Any ideas if this is a driver problem as when I connect Hudl2 to PC I have to manually install the driver for ABD interface as its not automatically found. I'm using the generic ADB USB driver from google.

I should probably add that I installed minimum adb and fastboot from XDA

I'm desperate to get this device rooted after a long fought battle with a M2 with a locked down boot loader which I've only just won after getting rid of Sony RIC.

Thanks

Jon

Thanks

Edited by BlackenedEDIT

Guest 4L0M

Hi guys,

I'm struggling with this. The tethered cwm method seems like it should be simple, however I run the .bat, use trigger 3, hudl2 reboots into Driodboot. Then...

FASTBOOT INIT

That's normal, it always says that.

Minimal adb and Fastboot doesn't work 100% correctly with the Hudl2 in my experience, there is Hudl2 specific ADB drivers in beginning of this thread.  You can have Minimal adb and Hudl2 adb drivers installed on same pc at the same time no problem though.

Guest BlackenedEDIT

That's normal, it always says that.

Minimal adb and Fastboot doesn't work 100% correctly with the Hudl2 in my experience, there is Hudl2 specific ADB drivers in beginning of this thread. You can have Minimal adb and Hudl2 adb drivers installed on same pc at the same time no problem though.

So I've run the two exe files contained in the zip file at the beginning of this thread as well as copying the DLLs into system32 and running regsvr32

I still get droidboot with the error

FASTBOOT INITd

I've tried rebooting to recovery from Driodboot but get ” no command ” and cwm will not load.

Any more ideas from the community please.

UPDATE............

So I'm fully rooted now. Just needed to go into device manager and select the drivers again WHILE the huddle was in droidboot mode.

After that worked like a charm

Edited by BlackenedEDIT

Guest samac

Start the root process by clicking double clicking “launcher” in the “IntelAndroid-FBRL-01-17-2015” folder and watch your HUDL screen. It may show a pop up asking to accept your PC’s “fingerprint” or something like that and show a long number of random characters. Click accept. 

On the next window type “T3” without quotes when asked for options.

The Hudl should reboot to the new recovery which is CWM recovery. The screen should be grey and show a Hat symbol. 

Navigate to “install from SD Card” using the volume keys and the power button is enter. Then to install zip from SD card and chose the “UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46” zip you copied earlier.

Click enter and wait.

Just for clarification, is this the same sort of root as the original method. i.e. a stock image with root added in or is it a custom rom?

samac

Guest 4L0M

It's a stock image with root. It's not a custom rom.

Edit : ignore this, I was very drunk when I posted it.......... I'm paying for it today....... Feel like death, lol

Edited by 4L0M

Guest Robin Wheeler

Its not a stock image with root, it is a method to root the stock image on the hudl, no image is downloaded to the hudl.

Guest mossyfiber

New to the forum - thanks for the guide on rooting. Worked on my hudl 2 (20150106.154003)

I'm had a 'damaged SD card error' twice now in about 10 days, from just rebooting my device, which has forced me to format the sd card. Interestingly, after the first format it still says damaged, however after a few goes it works. The card works fine on other devices (Samsung EVO 32GB).

I'm tempted to factory reset, in case I have bodged something up with a dodgy app or whatnot, however I am somewhat unsure of what I need to do before performing a factory reset. I have searched through the topic, however information appears to be patchy.

I have apps (including Tesco apps) disabled through the android settings and also a couple frozen through Titanium; I trust these need to be re-enabled/defrosted?

Is there anything else I need to do before factory resetting?

Thanks

Guest samac

Click enter and wait.

Worked perfectly, but I had to reboot from the menu. Thanks to vampirefo for the rooting package and to EananC for the HOWTO.

samac

Guest hudl2helpthanks

I'm having issues with the fastboot driver on windows 8.1 and windows 7 . I've installed the pdanet drivers to no avail. I've tried the intel and Koush usb drivers as well. I'm not new to using adb & fastboot commands - althoug the fbrl launcher seems to automate the process.

I get into droidboot and fbrl hangs at waiting for device. I've changed the driver manually numerous times , uysing both the koush,google and intel drivers. Nothing seems to work. Any insight would be helpful.

EDIT- while in droid boot it shows the device as Android-Phone , which i can change manually to a different driver/device, but it doesn't affect fbrl.

Edited by hudl2helpthanks