How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest EananC

Are there any stock images for this device?

Dont think so or not that I know of. Closest is to root it and make a NAND backup yourself.

Guest crusader58

Hi EananC

I have installed SuperSu and Root Checker and root checker congratulated me on a rooted device

Not sure what I do now lol

You could install the xposed framework, then from within xposed download and activate the 'root cloak' module...this module allows you to hide root on a per app basis.

Guest pryddie

Hi Crusader

Is there a guide for this it should I start a new post just in case we are slightly going off topic. It's definitely rooted as now my sky sports and virgin media anywhere apps won't work as they both say they don't support rooted device

Guest Daniel_Twigg

Made a quick new user friendly guide on how to root using the latest firmware:

OK here is how to root the HUDL running the latest firmware:

Copy the su update zip (named “UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46” in the extracted folder from step 1) to your Hudl 2’s internal memory or preferably, its microSD card. Remember where you put it!

Ensure drivers for adb are installed. Run them from the “adbfastboothudl” folder in the zip folder from step 1.

Enable USB debugging from developer settings on the hudl. . 

If you don't know how to turn on USB Debugging, here is how: 

Start the root process by clicking double clicking “launcher” in the “IntelAndroid-FBRL-01-17-2015” folder and watch your HUDL screen. It may show a pop up asking to accept your PC’s “fingerprint” or something like that and show a long number of random characters. Click accept. 

On the next window type “T3” without quotes when asked for options.

The Hudl should reboot to the new recovery which is CWM recovery. The screen should be grey and show a Hat symbol. 

Navigate to “install from SD Card” using the volume keys and the power button is enter. Then to install zip from SD card and chose the “UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46” zip you copied earlier.

Click enter and wait.

It should reboot your hudl back to normal and it will be rooted.

*OBLIGATORY* I am not responsible for a bricked HUDL or any damage done to it. I dont know if this voids the warranty also but it shouldn't. If you follow the guide it will be easy and hard to break your hudl.

Hi

Could you please make this into its own thread? It is really hard to navigate 28 pages in. 

Also, can you edit it, to say that when the device boots into the droidboot menu, you may need to install the ADB driver for the device in Windows again. 

It took me a few failed attempts to realise this, along with reading random replies in this thread that all make up a bigger picture.

Thank you and I appreciate your work.

Guest pryddie

Hi everyone

I copied Robins text to my launcher and followed the guide. I can confirm the hudl2 is rooted as I can't get Sky Sports or Sky Go to work. I've downloaded xposed framework and root cloak but still no joy with getting the above mentioned apps to work.

Not really sure how I I brand the annoying start up and tesco widgets but this post is to let everyone know how I've got on with the rooting process

Thanks to everyone's input.

Guest hudl2student

That's very useful to know Robin, thanks!

I've recently rooted :) anyone know how to create an image of 'freshly' rooted system that can be used to revert to, as a sort of clean install if need be in the future?

Is Titanium Backup capable of creating/restoring images on rooted hudl2, has anyone done this as yet?

Guest Daniel_Twigg

Hi everyone

I copied Robins text to my launcher and followed the guide. I can confirm the hudl2 is rooted as I can't get Sky Sports or Sky Go to work. I've downloaded xposed framework and root cloak but still no joy with getting the above mentioned apps to work.

Not really sure how I I brand the annoying start up and tesco widgets but this post is to let everyone know how I've got on with the rooting process

Thanks to everyone's input.

Did you have any issues with having to install drivers twice? Sky Sports and Sky Go won't work mate, they can't be worked around I don't think. Not sure how to change the boot animation, to remove the tesco widgets and tesco launcher, first install an alternate launcher, for example Apex Launcher or Nova Launcher, then download Titanium Backup, and find the Tesco apps and click on them, and click Freeze. Google for Titanium Backup tutorials if needed.

That's very useful to know Robin, thanks!

I've recently rooted :) anyone know how to create an image of 'freshly' rooted system that can be used to revert to, as a sort of clean install if need be in the future?

Is Titanium Backup capable of creating/restoring images on rooted hudl2, has anyone done this as yet?

Don't think TiBu can do a full backup and restore, do a nandroid backup in clockworkmod recovery.

Guest hudl2student

Don't think TiBu can do a full backup and restore, do a nandroid backup in clockworkmod recovery.

Thanks Daniel. What would be the steps to get into clockworkmod recovery and then create/restore NAND backups?

Is this a proven method for the hudl2? (I'm just not sure of the state of play with the Hudl2 due to the less common rooting method currently available).

ps thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, it's all been really helpful :)

Guest MucuCat

i will get my tesco tablet tomorrow and i would like to now what the procedure of rooting is.

so if i understand when i get the tablet:

- i update it to the latest firmware

- and than use the tutorial that EananC (reposted few posts back), to flash CWM and supersu

my questions:

- after rooting can i update the tablet if i there wil be another update?

- will i loose root if i update?

Guest MucuCat

@MucuCat

Yes and yes.

But you can root again easily using the tethered recovery method.

so the tutorial from EananC works on any update?

the supersu.zip is the same for all updates? 

if i root the device i loose all my data?

just want to be extra sure, because i do not want to brick the device on day 1 :D

and thank you for your help

Edited by MucuCat

1. so the tutorial from EananC works on any update?

2. the supersu.zip is the same for all updates? 

3. if i root the device i loose all my data?

just want to be extra sure, because i do not want to brick the device on day 1 :D

and thank you for your help

Answers:

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No - your data isn't touched in the rooting process.

:ninja:

Edited by Guest

Guest MucuCat

Hi

Could you please make this into its own thread? It is really hard to navigate 28 pages in. 

Also, can you edit it, to say that when the device boots into the droidboot menu, you may need to install the ADB driver for the device in Windows again. 

It took me a few failed attempts to realise this, along with reading random replies in this thread that all make up a bigger picture.

I would like to thank u a lot sir!

you pointed me to installing the ADB drivers again and it worked like a charm.

Guest EananC

Hi

OK ill do just that. It should help others then

Hello everyone,

I just got a Hudl2 but during the Setup I had to install the 20150319.222108 update and then realised I might not be able to root it?

So, can I still root my hudl now? How can I do that?

Cheers

Tib

Guest robin0800

Hello everyone,

I just got a Hudl2 but during the Setup I had to install the 20150319.222108 update and then realised I might not be able to root it?

So, can I still root my hudl now? How can I do that?

Cheers

Tib

Post #631 in this thread

Guest hudl2student

Signed adb drivers from intel with an installer

https://software.int...android-devices

Thanks Robin0800.

anyone any idea of steps for creating a backup/image (NAND/nandroid?? as mentioned

by EananC and Daniel_Twigg in previous posts) that can be restored in future so that a

fresh 'install' of rooted os can be put back on the hudl 2?

cheers

Guest vampirefo

Thanks Robin0800.

anyone any idea of steps for creating a backup/image (NAND/nandroid?? as mentioned

by EananC and Daniel_Twigg in previous posts) that can be restored in future so that a

cheers

Use recovery.

Guest Alien Heads

Thanks Robin0800.

cheers

This should help http://trendblog.net/android-guide-make-nandroid-backup-android-phone/