How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

@Paul I managed to install the stock image, however when I do an OTA I get an error :(

An error at which point? In recovery? Does it then boot up OK?

P

Guest mrgreen01

hi I flashed your image then done a factory reset went through the setup then Tesco checked for updates (u have no choice but to accept) it started installing a 9mb update then it went to android recovery screen with these messages :

finding update package...

opening update package...

verifying update package...

installing update...

verifying current system...

verifying boot image...

verifying fastboot image...

removing unneeded files...

creating new os image...

patching system files...

patching os images...

unpacking new files...

unpacking new recovery...

symlinks and permissions...

set_perm: some changes failed

E: error in cache/update.zip (status 7)

E: install of /cache/update.zip failed with status 1 installation aborted

E: installation failed with status 1

I still got access to recovery but if I reboot it gos through the set up again downloading update and failing then I end up on recovery again

hope it helps

Guest PaulOBrien

mrgreen01, 'set_perm: some changes failed' suggests the last phase is failing when it tries to set perms on some files, but that's not too helpful without knowing exactly what. Did you wipe after flashing the stock system or something? I'm confused why it's taken you through the startup wizard again.

I think you're in a sticky situation if you can't get the device to boot normally and you don't have ADB access I assume, ugh.

Has anyone tried to apply the OTA to a rooted device? What situation do you end up in?

P

Guest vermillions

hi I flashed your image then done a factory reset went through the setup then Tesco checked for updates (u have no choice but to accept) it started installing a 9mb update then it went to android recovery screen with these messages :

finding update package...

opening update package...

verifying update package...

installing update...

verifying current system...

verifying boot image...

verifying fastboot image...

removing unneeded files...

creating new os image...

patching system files...

patching os images...

unpacking new files...

unpacking new recovery...

symlinks and permissions...

set_perm: some changes failed

E: error in cache/update.zip (status 7)

E: install of /cache/update.zip failed with status 1 installation aborted

E: installation failed with status 1

I still got access to recovery but if I reboot it gos through the set up again downloading update and failing then I end up on recovery again

hope it helps

Wipe cash and try again maybe just to be sure, no harm at this point

Guest PaulOBrien

If you are on the rooted ROM and for now you want to disable the OTA nag while we work things out, you can freeze 'hudl updates 1.1' in Titanium.

P

Guest PaulOBrien

mrgreen01, did you wipe after flashing system? It should have booted without doing a version check if you'd used the device previously.

Is the device showing up in 'adb devices'?

P

Guest PaulOBrien

I think I am still on the same build, but when I check for updates it says my hudle is up to date? has Tesco pulled the ota?

Edit: Looks like they may have, which has given you a get out of jail free card. ;)

P

Guest giac0m0

Any chance you'll put the root image back up Paul - I missed out on the last twenty four hours of shenanigans and am certain it's my own responsibility if I brick my Hudl 2 by using your image.

Guest vermillions

Looks like its all recovery Boot and bios related. It would be interesting to see if someone with an unrooted and updated tab now had access to button press fastboot or is this all about locking the device down further. 

scrub that didn't look hard enough now see all the framework, lib and app updates.

Edited by vermillions

Guest BobNugget

ESP.img is an EFI System Partition - I notice it contains BIOSUPDATE.fv

A google for this finds the interesting Sharks Cove dev board with an Atom Z3735 (G) and volume up/down buttons and a power button. Guess what the boot to recovery combo is? https://uefidk.com/content/sharks-cove-uefi-firmware

Opening up BIOSUPDATE.fv - it is a nice new UEFI for the BIOS; and matches the headers here

http://blogs.phoenix.com/phoenix_technologies_bios/2007/02/uefi_pi_10_firm.html

These work (unknown source and says unknown developer when I open on my mac but opens the BIOS file at least)

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/48979-UEFITool-UEFI-firmware-image-viewer-and-editor

Edited by BobNugget

Guest vermillions

I have reflashed the root system img and can confirm that r/w access is available in /system after first boot but is lost on reboot. Maybe reboot updates security certs or similar what do you think Paul.

Guest PaulOBrien

I have reflashed the root system img and can confirm that r/w access is available in /system after first boot but is lost on reboot. Maybe reboot updates security certs or similar what do you think Paul.

Could be file system related, maybe it needs an fsck, not very easy without a working custom recovery!

P

Guest Kommander85

Paul,

I'll be taking receipt of my new Hudl 2 tomorrow afternoon and i'd like to offer my help and services as a fellow mobile device developer and experienced Software/Hardware engineer. Feel free to drop me a private message and i'll give you my skype contact details and we can look into finding a solution to the permissions issue and see about finding a way to provide full recovery access in order to install aftermarket ROMs for the Hudl 2 - after all, once that's in place we may be able to get more developer interest in creating a ROM development community for the device that will benefit everyone.

Let me know your thoughts and anything I can do.

Thanks again for everything you've done so far, without people like yourself we wouldn't have the development community for mobile devices we have today.

Kommander.

Guest vermillions

Could be file system related, maybe it needs an fsck, not very easy without a working custom recovery!

P

might this work:

create a file called "forcefsck" in the root "/" directory. If this file exists then the system will invoke a full file system check on boot.

Edited by vermillions

Guest PaulOBrien

might this work:

create a file called "forcefsck" in the root "/" directory. If this file exists then the system will invoke a full file system check on boot.

The root directory is stored in the boot image and can't be changed in a way that persists.

P

Guest vermillions

Thanks for answering all my newbie questions. I did try the file in the device top level directory available and it didn't seem to do anything and was gone on next reboot, so like you said a no go. I have noticed however that although I thought r/w access had gone after reboot after flash, It seems that on every reboot I have r/w access to /system for a limited time.I can create a file that will persist on reboot and I can delete files. but after a small number of mounts r/w and r/o it locks to r/o. Can someone test and confirm for me.

For those wanting to use the Root but worried about the OTA updates killing off thier Hudl, I think I might have sourced a couple of solutions. I can't promise they'll be 100% effective, but they might help fend off the OTA's while Paul and his growing help iron out the little teething problems.

First from playstore download "Disable Service". Install and open it, then go to System Apps>Google Services Framework.
Uncheck "SystemUpdateService" and restart your device.

Or

Second Download FOTAKill.apk and copy to your device. Use a root explorer (such as ES Explorer) to copy the file to /system/app
If the update already downloaded, use your root explorer to delete it from /cache. Reboot.

If the update notice is still in the notification bar after the reboot, simply swipe it away. That should be the last time you are ever prompted to update via OTA.

As I said these are solutions that I searched for and I take no credit for working this out for myself, just sourced info I thought might help....

I am currently using the first option, fingers crossed no Update notifications have so far appeared. :)

Edited by Hukfed