How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Is there no way of rooting using the normal methods as opposed to having to download the entire rom with this device? Thanks.

Hint: We're not doing it this way for fun. ;)

P

Guest jackvdbuk

many thanks paul, other than it took me 2 and a half days to be able to get ADB to work on the hudl2, i rooted yesterday and will attempt the new version tonight.

great work :)

Guest figjamuk12

If you are on rooted 20140924.194555

Re-root using the new 20140924.194555 r3 file, apply the OTA, then re-root using the new 20141009.191216 r1 file (check the version shows as 20141009.191216 after OTA!).

Hi Paul, awesome work. :) Going to flash this after work.

Will hopefully now be able to transfer apps to SD after this :D

Edited by figjamuk12

Hmm, I got a 'favourite' from TescoLabs when I asked about root support for the Hudl 2.

https://twitter.com/TescoLabs/favorites

Is it worth you getting in touch Paul to ask if they would be willing to provide certain levels of access to the device and software?

I contacted them the other day via the online support asking the very same thing. Personally, I would say that it would boost their sales considerably if they were to provide the relevant source code for the device although I do appreciate their reluctance on the basis that they would no doubt see numerous devices being returned as not working by those people who bricked their devices - sure they could put a disclaimer out though negating this!

Not had a reply yet so will add to your twitter post asking - the more the merrier.

I'm popping down to see the team as it happens. ;)

It certainly would be interesting to hear what their views are with regards to rooting and further hudl2 resources becoming available shall we say.  :ninja:

If you are on rooted 20140924.194555

Re-root using the new 20140924.194555 r3 file, apply the OTA, then re-root using the new 20141009.191216 r1 file (check the version shows as 20141009.191216 after OTA!).

Done this just now, everything went smooth as butter and could get rid of the pesky Blinkbox etc apks . . .now to try Xposed and other playthings . . .awesome work, thanks again!

Guest giac0m0

I'm popping down to see the team as it happens. ;)

Now thats Jolly Exciting!  Are you going to see them about anything you can talk about on here?  Or are you going to talk root-tootie access?

Good morning all!I have updated the root files in the first post. The major changes are support for the new ROM version and the /system remount problem is now fixed.Details are below on what you need to do. Enjoy! :)If you are on stock 20140924.194555Apply the latest OTA then root using the 20141009.191216 r1 file (check the version shows as 20141009.191216 after OTA!).If you are on rooted 20140924.194555Re-root using the new 20140924.194555 r3 file, apply the OTA, then re-root using the new 20141009.191216 r1 file (check the version shows as 20141009.191216 after OTA!).If you are on stock 20141009.191216Root using the new 20141009.191216 r1 file.If you are on a different versionThis should not be possible at this time. Tell us which version you are on. :)

Awesome! I've got stock 20140924.194555 and only just received an OTA update notification. Any ideas which version that is because I don't want to update my stock as per your instructions and then ruin my rooting chances!

Done this just now, everything went smooth as butter and could get rid of the pesky Blinkbox etc apks . . .now to try Xposed and other playthings . . .awesome work, thanks again!

Sorry to be dumb. But once rooted...is it simply a case of removing the apk directories to remove these apps? Using something like es file explorer?

Sorry to be dumb. But once rooted...is it simply a case of removing the apk directories to remove these apps? Using something like es file explorer?

I used Titanium Backup to uninstall. It's a killer app.

Hmmm, I got a permissions popup on the device for connecting to the computer, but after I go through the hoops I get this on it:

E:installer device ignored

FASTBOOT INIT...

FASTBOOT CMD WAITING...

E:No valid installer medium found.

And the comman prompt states

< waiting for device >

Is it a driver issue? If so, where do I get the appropriate drivers from please?

I did try following this to get me the drivers which seemed to work:

http://donandroid.com/how-to-install-adb-interface-drivers-windows-7-xp-vista-623

Guest eagle 36

hi guys im a newbie but have followed the instructions and when i try to flash the img i get this

error: cannot open 'filename.img

sorry for being a dumb ass but what am i doing wrong thanks for your help

on a non rooted device system.hudl2..20141009.191216.

Edited by eagle 36

hi guys im a newbie but have followed the instructions and when i try to flash the img i get this

error: cannot open 'filename.img

sorry for being a dumb ass but what am i doing wrong thanks for your help

on a non rooted device system.hudl2..20141009.191216.

Is the .img file in the same location as the adb-windows.exe and have you renamed it to filename.img ?

Edited by nrps1

Guest eagle 36

Is the .img file in the same location as the adb-windows.exe and have you renamed it to filename.img ?

hi nrps1 same location and have renamed the image file to filename img

this is what i get

C:\Users\james\Desktop\New folder (5

fillename.img

error: cannot open 'filename.img'

Edited by eagle 36

hi nrps1 same location and have renamed the image file to filename img

this is what i get

fillename.img

error: cannot open 'filename.img'

Not sure what you are doing there! If you see the instructions on the first page:

ON A WINDOWS PC: enter 'adb-windows reboot bootloader', when the device has rebooted to bootloader enter 'fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system filename.img' - DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS (where filename.img is the image file you extracted from the download zip)

So, launch command prompt and navigate to the folder containing adb-windows and filename.img

Type adb-windows reboot bootloader  and hit enter. The Hudl should reboot

Then type/paste  fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system filename.img 

That should be it, although, I get nothing much happening after the second bit apart from waiting for device :(

Guest eagle 36

lol it boots to the bootloader but then i get error: cannot open 'filename.img' when i try fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system filename.img

:(  anybody getting this error

Edited by eagle 36

Guest figjamuk12

lol it boots to the bootloader but then i get error: cannot open 'filename.img' when i try fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system filename.img

:(  anybody getting this error

Can you screenshot it including the contents of the folder.

London is the plan...

P

When you meet the developers, as well as congratulating them on a generally well-received device, would you very kindly ask them whether they plan to upgrade it to Lollipop?  I ask because the limited internal storage of the Hudl 2, plus KitKat's restrictions on using the SD card, make a pretty toxic combination.  This is easily the device's most disappointing feature for me. 

Oh, and changelogs would be nice too.

Guest PaulOBrien

:( anybody getting this error

You are substituting 'filename.img' for the actual filename right?

P