How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Bisgsi01

Same here. Fastboot doesnt work, Whatever machine I use(windows, ubuntu) it simply doesnt work. Anybody knows of any workaround to this?

Thanks,

Biswa

Guest jb2kred

It Sounds like your drivers for fastboot have not been setup. Im on windows 7 and manually added the line's to android_winusb.inf to access the fastboot driver and normal adb so far i have flashed my system with the root system and now working on making a cwm recovery for us to use.

Guest Bisgsi01

It Sounds like your drivers for fastboot have not been setup. Im on windows 7 and manually added the line's to android_winusb.inf to access the fastboot driver and normal adb so far i have flashed my system with the root system and now working on making a cwm recovery for us to use.

Ahhh ok. Can you please give more detail on what exactly you added in android_winusb.inf to access fastboot? for me adb works though. I also use Windows 7.

Remember you need to include the vendor ID in the fastboot command (as per the first post)...

P

Hello Paul, adding the vendor ID makes no difference here alas.  I have now tried it underWindows 8.1 64bit and 4 linux distros (2x32bit, 2x64bit) all to no avail.  ADB works fine on all of them, just Fastboot that doesn't.  Thanks.

Guest brackehill_mob

Hello Paul, adding the vendor ID makes no difference here alas. I have now tried it underWindows 8.1 64bit and 4 linux distros (2x32bit, 2x64bit) all to no avail. ADB works fine on all of them, just Fastboot that doesn't. Thanks.

+1

I'm a Linux Geek and veteran rom installer and I've tried every trick I know to no avail. In more than a dozen phones I've rooted, this is the only one I've had problems with. I'm pretty sure Fastboot on the Hudl2 is broken.

Hi everyone

I know nothing about this and maybe I just got lucky, but I'll share with you what I did and whether or not it was the right thing to do, I rooted easily.

I was having the "device not connected" command window/adb problem (which I know most of you are not having) even though the Hudl was showing in Windows Explorer in Win7(64 bit). I'd thought Windows had installed all the drivers, but maybe it hadn't.

Googled around a bit, found this page:

http://www.dominantwire.com/2012/11/how-to-solve-adb-device-not-found-error.html

Followed Step I. and installed adb like that.

Followed Step II. which when I now look at the application (PDAnet) looks totally irrelevant, but maybe it was installing just the right drivers . . .

Plugged in Hudl, checked in Device Manager, and whereas previously had got either the error triangle or something weird, now had Android ADB interface or something hopeful.

Fired up cmd, followed Paul's instructions and SHAZAM, root! Fastboot worked fine.

Please ignore this if you've seen it all before, as I say I have no idea what I'm actually doing but sometimes stuff just works :)

Guest laurence_s

+1

I'm a Linux Geek and veteran rom installer and I've tried every trick I know to no avail. In more than a dozen phones I've rooted, this is the only one I've had problems with. I'm pretty sure Fastboot on the Hudl2 is broken.

Can I just ask whether or not it's necessary to setup/use udev. I've not setup udev, and running as user root adb works as expected. Presummably (dangerous) fastboot works in the same manner when being run as root?

Some other points of note.

Plugging the hudl2 in/out gives me the following in the logs (as expected).

SB disconnect, address 100 <-- cable out

usb 1-2.1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 101 <--cable in

usb 1-2.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

usb 1-2.1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d4d, idProduct=5044

usb 1-2.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4

usb 1-2.1: Product: Android-Phone

usb 1-2.1: Manufacturer: Android

root> lsusb

Bus 001 Device 101: ID 1d4d:5044

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 2341:0001

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

usb 1-2.1: SerialNumber: 140914PE5114881

root> strace fastboot devices (just keep device 101 related data)

open("/dev/bus/usb/001/101", O_RDWR|O_LARGEFILE) = 5                                     

read(5, "\22\1\20\2\0\0\0@M\35DP\377\377\2\3\4\1\t\2%\0\1\1\0\200\372\5\t\0\0\2"..., 1024) = 55                                                                                   

ioctl(5, USBDEVFS_CONTROL, 0xbfc9e6a0)  = 32                                             

fstat64(5, {st_mode=S_IFCHR|0644, st_rdev=makedev(189, 101), ...}) = 0                   

readlink("/sys/dev/char/189:101", "../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.4/usb1/1-2/1-2.1", 255) = 52                                                                               

close(5)

Guest brackehill_mob

Can I just ask whether or not it's necessary to setup/use udev.

You don't need to set up udev - it is part of the system. You can write your own udev rules if needed to get new hardware to work.

Interestingly your lsusb read out didn't let the name of the Hudl2 manufacturer for id 1d4d as it does with mine. Your strace output is similar to mine which shows that fastboot is communicating but the data needed to read the device is missing.

Edited by brackehill_mob

Guest laurence_s

You don't need to set up udev - it is part of the system. You can write your own udev rules if needed to get new hardware to work.

Interestingly your lsusb read out didn't let the name of the Hudl2 manufacturer for id 1d4d as it does with mine. Your strace output is similar to mine which shows that fastboot is communicating but the data needed to read the device is missing.

On fedora 9, no hudl2 manufacturer shown, on later versions it does.

Hi

I do not know if this info helps any if at all. but will add it as you never know.

Fastboot

Android-IA devices can be put into fastboot mode through two methods:

1. Issuing the `adb reboot bootloader' command to Android
  2. Selecting 'fastboot' from the bootloader menu at startup

You will know your device is in fastboot mode when you see a blue robot cartoon with the word "Droidboot" (Droidboot is the Android-IA userspace implementation of a fastboot server). Because Android-IA devices are not necessarily capable of operating as USB clients, Droidboot has been modified to operate over an attached Ethernet network. Use the following procedure to communicate with the device over Ethernet fastboot.

1. Attach a supported USB Ethernet adapter to the device. Adapters which use the asix Linux kernel driver are supported.
  2. Connect your host PC and the device to an ethernet switch. This will form a private network over which you communicate with the device. (If you have a cat5 crossover cable, that can also be used.)
  3. Configure your host PC's ethernet adapter to use IP address 192.168.42.3, netmask 255.255.255.0.
  4. Boot the device to fastboot mode using a method described above.
  5. Attempt to ping the device from your workstation: `ping 192.168.42.1' If the ping is not successful, your network is misconfigured and must be revisited.
  6. Find the fastboot binary built as part of your Android-IA build. It will usually be located at out/host/linux-x86/bin/fastboot. Do not attempt to use the fastboot binary from your Google Android SDK as it does not yet support the TCP transport.
  7. Run fastboot as you normally would, but pass "-t 192.168.42.1" arguments to instruct fastboot to connect to the remote host.

Guest petescouse

hi fellow droids.. im a total noob here and i dont usually post on forums.. but im well happy with this tablet for the money thought id share and thank people.

so just as a conformation rooting is easy once youve got adb sorted on windows 8.1 x64 with tha pdanet method mentioned by mbalax . then did the ota update .. then rooted using pauls method. (191216 firmware).

thank you very much guys.. such a sigh of relief at not having to wait atall for a working root :)

and just for those who may be interested ive been playing about trying to get that propper tablet feel out of this thing. 

ive got nova launcher going- that removes the stupid tesco crap from the left swipe. titanium backup to uninstall all the tesco apps that i dont need.. ive installed xposed framework with modules (appsettings(dpi etc..), gravitybox, tabletkat for tablet ui (highly recommended) and youtube adaway).

for 129 quid this is well worth it.  

would it be possible to make use of other devices with the same hardware to get windows running on this thing.. that would be awesome for a laugh! also found a a thread for 'porting clockwork mod to a new device'

im just not experienced enough to pioneer these sorts of things.. like at all! :) i would give it a go if i had a sure fire method for unbricking. ill keep searching and trying to learn in the meantime.

thanks for all the work guys!

pete

so just as a conformation rooting is easy once youve got adb sorted on windows 8.1 x64 with tha pdanet method mentioned by mbalax . then did the ota update .. then rooted using pauls method. (191216 firmware).

thank you very much guys.. such a sigh of relief at not having to wait atall for a working root :)

Tried the PDANet application to install the drivers and hey presto, Fastboot now works!!  You still have to put in the device identifier, but at least it works.

Guest petescouse

Tried the PDANet application to install the drivers and hey presto, Fastboot now works!!  You still have to put in the device identifier, but at least it works.

i didnt have to specify a device identifier you know.. when pdanet gave me a list of devices i selected 'other' .. pdanet then failed to install but the drivers still worked afterwards! 

i didnt have to specify a device identifier you know.. when pdanet gave me a list of devices i selected 'other' .. pdanet then failed to install but the drivers still worked afterwards!

They installed fine on my system - even told me that I already had USB drivers installed and asked if I wanted to remove them, which I did. Either way, as long as it's rooted jobs a good un!

Guest David441

A little help please.

It appears I am missing the Fastboot driver.

ADB drivers are installed OK.

ADB is communicating correctly with the Hudl 2 in "USB Debugging" mode and I can issue the "adb-windows reboot bootloader" command, the Hudl responds correctly.

When the Hudl enters the bootloader mode the PC sees it as an unrecognised device and asks for the driver.  Yellow "?" shown in Windows device manager.

Can someone point me to the driver or indicate how I should proceed please?

PC OS is Windows XP-Pro.

Thank you.

A little help please.

It appears I am missing the Fastboot driver.

ADB drivers are installed.

See above. The only way I've managed to get it working is by installing this pdanet app and the drivers within that. Had exactly the same issue as you prior to that.

Guest Boot_Strap

Hi Paul

Fantastic post with great results, my hudl2 rooted first time using your instructions in your first post.

I will add though that its very easy to brick the device and get it caught in a loop, my first soft-bricking was caused by using the paid version of the rom tool box when I changed the boot logo to a nice palm island setting with moving palm trees, when I reboot to see it thats as far as it ever got.

I held the power and vol up then kept hold of vol up till it arrived in recovery mode, chose to wipe and it recovered ready for me to re-root for the next soft bricking!

The second soft-bricking was caused by me freezing all the tescos related guff with the same said program, this caused the launcher to disapear to a dark black screen, I could use the button to see what running programs where running but I couldn't start any programs.

I could make it into the settings by dragging down on the top right and I selected wipe/reset in settings back to clean again but this time It stayed rooted but all the all the other apps had gone.

Next one I froze a system app and it again got me stuck on the hudl boot screen with the flashing star, recovery was possible buy holding the vol up and power to recover it.

So far I like the faster responce of the hardware but I don't like how feeble it is, it doesn't take much to make it throw a wobbler.  It played the driving through russia game well but got very warm on the back after 30 minutes.

Thanks again Paul for running Modaco and starting this thread.

Very useful

Boot_Strap

Guest bunglez

I've got everything working.. Thanks very much for the guide. 

Using Link2SD, I was able to integrate the updated system apps back in to the system. Link and move App data to the external SD card, and save a lot of space. 

I haven't tried uninstalling the tesco system apps yet using Link2SD, as i'm a bit concerned about bricking the thing.

xPosed framework is working well, but Greenify gave me a couple of random reboots.

Having the extra memory and root access make this tablet a great deal.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Some xposed modules seem to cause a bootloop. Removing them in safe mode fixed it though.

Edited by bunglez

it is possible to recover from a brick, holding volume up,down&power when turning on the device, it will launch fastboot into a software update mode, it will then look for installer.cmd on an sdcard

this is a similar process to installing a custom zip in recovery

Edited by uub

Can you not just use the rooted image and get the SU app to uninstall itself as per Paul's notes on the first post?

Mind you, come to think about it, that'll be just the 'system' image, you're really after a whole or partial hudl2 image.