How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest hudl2needroot

I have hudl 2 and im trying to root the device i have all drivers instaled on pc i have rom for my version 2015 r1 but still i cant finish root on my hudl in droidboot it say E: no valid instaler medium found. On pc waiting for device what now? Sorry for my eng.

Guest jdreaper

Hi everyone, I have read through the whole thread & did not see a answer to what I'm about to ask, I could have just missed it though.

I got my hudl 2 yesterday, powered it up and was forced to download the Jan 5 2015 update.

so obviously when I checked my build version it is showing the latest build version number (so I am assuming that prior to the update that my original build version would have been lower).

so my question is:- will I be able to root my hudl using one of the methods in the thread (prob the one in post #388 due to using Windows 7) by using the jan 2015 image file that is linked to in the first post?

Thanks

Guest hudl2needroot

I have read post 338 and i have all stuff on my laptop but not pda only becaouse it kill adb.exe and when is on i cant use reboot command. I have one more question how its possible to flash rom without root?

Edited by hudl2needroot

Guest hudl2needroot

Step by step like in post 388 i have instaled drivers without problems i have fastboot and adb on my pc i have rom for my version from 2015 r1 and i try to use adb i can get in droidboot but im stuck at this stage when i tap t the flash command it say waiting for device... I can do all steps again and show you screens if it helps.

Guest r00tmydevices

Sorted i have root on my hudl 2 the problem was missing PATH file

Can you elaborate on above please as it might help others who get stuck in the future?

Guest crusader58

Can someone please post the link for the OTA zip file. I really need it. Thanks

don't hold your breath I've been asking for weeks, even PM'd Paul but got no response.

Guest ziggynerja

Hi everyone, I have read through the whole thread & did not see a answer to what I'm about to ask, I could have just missed it though.

I got my hudl 2 yesterday, powered it up and was forced to download the Jan 5 2015 update.

so obviously when I checked my build version it is showing the latest build version number (so I am assuming that prior to the update that my original build version would have been lower).

so my question is:- will I be able to root my hudl using one of the methods in the thread (prob the one in post #388 due to using Windows 7) by using the jan 2015 image file that is linked to in the first post?

Thanks

I'd be really grateful if someone could answer this too. If not, is there any way around it?

Well if you compare your build/date no. with the build number/dates of the rooted system images supplied in the original post by Paul you'd have you answer.

The answer is yes, you would use the latest rooted build supplied by Paul. You just need to connect the dots.

Enjoy your rooted hudl2.

Edited by Guest

Guest ziggynerja

Well if you compare your build/date no. with the build number/dates of the rooted system images supplied in the original post by Paul you'd have you answer.

The answer is yes, you would use the latest rooted build supplied by Paul. You just need to connect the dots.

Enjoy your rooted hudl2.

Yeah sorry.. Just wanted to be 100% sure as the first post still says you need be on the older version, can't really afford to buy another one at the moment if things got messed up!

I've just rooted, very happy! Thanks Captain & Paul!

Edit: I've now noticed my Play Store isn't working now. It's showing "No Connection" for some reason. I'm definitely connected to the internet, my browser works fine. Any ideas ?

Edited by ziggynerja

Could just be a play store thing if you can surf the web etc.

Otherwise check wireless etc, then web then play store. Since that rooted system partition image was made there probably has been a Google Play app update, you're hudl2 should sort itself out in due course.

Edited by Guest

Guest JohnTS

Linux users : doesn't work unless you're su, otherwise says <waiting for device>. 

fastboot output on pc terminal is...

target reported max download size of 1261275818 bytes
sending 'system' (1160260 KB)...
OKAY [ 69.146s]
writing 'system'...
OKAY [ 47.728s]
finished. total time: 116.874s

There's also dialogue at the bottom of the HUDL bootloader screen during the transfer

Works fine. Ta

J

Guest samac

@JohnTS

How about those Linux users where it doesn't work whether you're root, or a user using sudo or su? Any suggestions?

samac

Guest JohnTS

No sorry, I'm no mobile expert and was just trying to help.

Furthermore, I've just buggered up my HUDL2; it still boots into the system recovery menu, but the factory reset option doesn't work (neither does anything else).  If anyone knows which files I need to "apply update from ADB", "apply update from external storage" or "apply update from cache", I'd be grateful.

I broke it by remounting /system as rw then attempting to change the core hardware files to support USB host.  Quite where it all went wrong I'm not sure.

John

Guest gribley

I broke it by remounting /system as rw then attempting to change the core hardware files to support USB host.  Quite where it all went wrong I'm not sure.

Because you know a lot more than "most of us" clearly and we/me just follow the instructions like sheep and are happy :)

Hope someone with real knowledge can help you out.... good luck, if not they are fairly cheap anyway so not a big loss

Guest fr4nkie74
C:\Users\Kev>c:\adbfastboothudl\adb-windows reboot bootloader
adb server is out of date.  killing...
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found 

Heads Battered Dont know what im doing wrong please help 

Guest r00tmydevices

C:\Users\Kev>c:\adbfastboothudl\adb-windows reboot bootloader

adb server is out of date. killing...

* daemon started successfully *

error: device not found

Heads Battered Dont know what im doing wrong please help

Refer to post #388 and see if that helps you out?

Guest samac

@r00tmydevices

Thanks for post 388. I had to eat humble pie and borrow my wife's win7 laptop. This is the first time in 12 years that I've found Windows to be better at something than Linux.

samac

Guest samac

Now that I'm rooted how about a list of useful apps for rooted a Hudl 2.

Currently I've got:

Greenify

SD Maid

I'm thinking that it would be useful to remove the Tesco Apps, is this recommended and what removal app would you us?

samac