How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest r00tmydevices

I'm thinking that it would be useful to remove the Tesco Apps, is this recommended and what removal app would you us?

samac

Probably best not to as we don't know how any future OTA updates will affect your h2 if stock Tesco apps are missing. Titanium Backup (£4.11 I think?) from Google Play store not only allows you to create a full backup but also allows you to freeze apps. This way they're not eating into resources and updates should not be an issue. I'll try and post a list of apps etc later that I installed straight after routing my h2. Edited by r00tmydevices

Guest robin0800

Probably best not to as we don't know how any future OTA updates will affect your h2 if stock Tesco apps are missing. Titanium Backup (£4.11 I think?) from Google Play store not only allows you to create a full backup but also allows you to freeze apps. This way they're not eating into resources and updates should not be an issue. I'll try and post a list of apps etc later that I installed straight after routing my h2.

Performance Control from xda forums can freeze apps on rooted devices and is free

Guest samac

@robin0800

Performance Control has done the job. Final two Tesco apps frozen. Looking good.

Thanks

samac

Edited by samac

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ViPaSoft

Followed instructions in first post and several other posts within this forum, but I'm still having trouble rooting.

I have downloaded the files needed, (correct versions too). I have also installed Android SDK in-case that was an issue, but still no joy.

When I run 'adb-windows reboot bootloader' the hudl2 reboots into DROIDBOOT PROVISION OS,

It gives me 4 options;

REBOOT DROIDBOOT

REBOOT

RECOVERY

POWER OFF

and at the bottom of the Hudl2 screen it says

FASTBOOT INIT...

E:installer device ignored

FASTBOOT CMD WAITING

E:No valid installer medium found

and when I run fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system hudl2root.img     (hudl2root.img is my renamed file, I have tried original filename too)

then my PC says

< waiting for device >

and that is it, nothing else happens.  I can easily REBOOT my Hudl2 with no ill effects, but nothing happens and I have left it for 30 minutes in case something was happened unnoticed.

I have installed all the required drivers.  I am on windows 8.1 and have installed the mtp driver in 'unsigned mode' and have no device manager device not recognised.  I also tried Command prompt in both normal and Administrator mode.

I'm not quite a noob and have flashed countless roms on other devices without issue.  What have I missed or am I doing something wrong?

Please help.

Thanks.

Edited by ViPaSoft

Guest nielsss

Okay so you state the following;

" Your Hudl2 MUST be running software version '20140924.194555' or '20141009.191216', "

But you are providing a Rooted Image for 20150106.154003 ?? So does that mean my hudl running 20150106.154003 can be rooted using the image provided?

Someone please let me know so I can avoid a brick

Guest Marmalade

Yes your Hudl can be rooted with the image provided.

I have asked Paul to update the OP to help avoid any confusion but nothing has been done yet.

Guest nielsss

Yes your Hudl can be rooted with the image provided.

I have asked Paul to update the OP to help avoid any confusion but nothing has been done yet.

You have just made my day! I will flash my tablet tonight and ill post results once done =] 

Guest ViPaSoft

Thanks to r00tmydevices on page 20 post 388 I have now rooted my device.

The problem I had, listed above at 504 seems to simply be that my front USB ports on my computer were USB 3.  I read on page 22 post 431 by Bisonator that they were having problems until they tried a USB 2 port.

I did that and it worked.

Thanks all and I hope this helps others.  USB 2  NOT  ' USB 3 '

EDIT:   Also, only took about 5 or 6 minutes.

Edited by ViPaSoft

Guest nielsss

Worked without encountering any problems really apart from when the tablet rebooted I had to point windows to the ADB drivers again manually. Now have a rooted Hudl2  =]

So I can confirm this works on 20150106.154003

Edited by nielsss

Guest r00tmydevices

I did post asking Paul if he wished to update his original post of this thread with my expanded instructions primarily for Windows users who had run into problems but alas nothing doing. Hence why myself and others point new members to post #388!

Guest nielsss

I did post asking Paul if he wished to update his original post of this thread with my expanded instructions primarily for Windows users who had run into problems but alas nothing doing. Hence why myself and others point new members to post #388!

Fair enough well at least all the information is here in the topic, I found it quite straight forward to be honest. Thanks for the help everyone =]

Guest ViPaSoft

Now that we are rooted, are we able to underclock the processor, (YES underclock it to maybe give more battery life)?   Or overclock if you like...

Or do things not work like that?

You can't overclock without a custom kernel, but I just used setcpu for root users from playstore to limit the Hudl2 cpu to max speed of 996mhz as opposed to the turbo speed of 1800mhz.

You can set a speed you are happy to underclock the Hudl2 by and you can make it auto apply when you boot the Hudl2.

Should possibly save you some battery life.

Screenshot_2015-03-28-22-31-44_zpsr9dagk

Edited by 4L0M

Guest samac

An interesting experiment, let us know if you see a difference. My battery usage always shows that the majority of my power goes to the screen, usually 80% plus,  if this is the same with your Hudl2 then I would guess  that you wouldn't see too much more battery life.

samac

Guest ViPaSoft

Thanks 4L0M, that's interesting.  I agree samac that most of the battery use is for the screen, but underclocking must save something, afterall, isn't the processor controlling what is displayed so some degree.

Guest targetbsp

You won't save massive amounts of power by lowering the CPU speed.

It'll be the backlight that's causing the screen power usage. Brightness will be the biggest thing there.

Guest _Mark

I've got to the point of entering fastboot mode ("FASTBOOT CMD WAITING..."?) however fastboot cannot detect any devices.

By default it seems to use the "Android ADB Interface", however this doesn't respond to both the adb and fastboot utliities. I assume this is supposed to be "Android Bootloader Interface" but forcing the device to use this driver (as someone on this thread tried earlier) but this has no effect.

Can anyone find out the exact name/version/date of the driver that should be installed in fastboot mode?

I've tried both the PDANet and Google drivers...

Have I got an unrootable Hudl 2?! :(

ETA nevermind, for some reason 'fastboot detect' doesn't seem to detect the hudl, but was able to flash the img file as per the procedure anyway :blink: :angry: :wacko: <_<

FWIW I forced the device to use the 'Android Bootloader Interface' driver from Google's USB driver once in fastboot mode.

Edited by _Mark

Guest samac

Thanks to r00tmydevices on page 20 post 388 I have now rooted my device.

Which OS are you using? I had to use a Windows 7 computer as I couldn't get it to work with Linux.

samac

Guest New_to_rooting

Hello! This is my First time Rooting and I'm struggling to Reboot my Hudl 2. I downloaded "Rooted Image for 20150106.154003" (This is my version) and "ADB / Fastboot tools". I'm NOT 100% sure that i placed these files in the right place (This could be the problem). When i enter "adb-windows reboot bootloader' in the command program, It says  "'adb-windows' is not recognized as internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I'm soo confused and don't know what to do.  :( 

Guest crusader58

Hello! This is my First time Rooting and I'm struggling to Reboot my Hudl 2. I downloaded "Rooted Image for 20150106.154003" (This is my version) and "ADB / Fastboot tools". I'm NOT 100% sure that i placed these files in the right place (This could be the problem). When i enter "adb-windows reboot bootloader' in the command program, It says  "'adb-windows' is not recognized as internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I'm soo confused and don't know what to do.  :( 

Be sure to open the Command Prompt from the directory where you have adb installed (or CD to that directory within the Command Prompt), also I had to run the Command Prompt as 'Administrator' before it would work. It's been sometime since I rooted my hudl2, so I hope my memory serves me right.

Guest New_to_rooting

Be sure to open the Command Prompt from the directory where you have adb installed (or CD to that directory within the Command Prompt), also I had to run the Command Prompt as 'Administrator' before it would work. It's been sometime since I rooted my hudl2, so I hope my memory serves me right.

I'm not so sure what you said but i oped my file with adb and the software directly with command prompt and now it says "error device not found" when i typed the command to reboot. Sorry :unsure:. I have windows 8.1 if that has any factor

The easiest way to open a command prompt on the correct folder :

Find the folder you extracted your HUDL 2 adb tools.

Hold "shift" key on keyboard, right click on folder - select "Open command prompt here".

No messing around with having to Cd system to the correct location..... Easy....

Edited by 4L0M

Guest New_to_rooting

The easiest way to open a command prompt on the correct folder :

Find the folder you extracted your adb tools.

Hold "shift" key on keyboard, right click on folder - select "Open command prompt here".

No messing around with having to Cd system to the correct location..... Easy....

OK, I opened the folder the way you told me and when i try to reboot my Hudl it says "error:device not found". Do you know where i  went wrong?