hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest Jabbitt

Mine charged normally after the update yesterday afternoon. Then today it was charging again normally and then I had to unplug it to use the socket for a few minutes. You can guess whats coming can't you!

I plugged it back in and it sat at the same percentage for a while. A restart, like the old times, kicked it back to life.

I think I'll go back to what I was normally doing and charge it every night with it turned off. That seems to work fine.

EDIT: I've just experimented again and it seems fine now. Maybe I'm too hasty too judge when its not charging. I just uninstalled Battery Doctor which was doing pretty much nothing useful. I'll report back in a few days to see if this update for me really has made a difference.

Edited by Jabbitt

Guest Jabbitt

Why am I not, nor have I ever been affected by this charging bug?

Am i missing something?

A

Because you have the lucky golden Hudl2 that's not affected! :-) Seriously, there must be a slight manufacturing change somewhere that has caused this. I am tempted to phone up and get a replacement, but I know my replacement will be bugged as well!

Guest Mark_He

Because you have the lucky golden Hudl2 that's not affected! :-) Seriously, there must be a slight manufacturing change somewhere that has caused this. I am tempted to phone up and get a replacement, but I know my replacement will be bugged as well!

I've only ever had it once.

Are you saying that it was charging, but taking it off charge and back on caused the problem?

Guest cheese_aholic

Both my units updated fine yesterday. Kids played for an hour today, both of them down to 50%. Plugged them in at 7pm. Checked at midnight and both still on 50%

So no; not fixed!

Turned them off and will charge overnight and see what happens tomorrow (although I think we all know what will happen don't we...!!)

Guest benzodiazepines

I got my Hudl 2 about 20+ days ago, never once had a bug with the charging even before this update and it's been on for virtually the whole time. Guess I got lucky.

Guest seanspotatobusiness

When you say it's not charging, is the red light on or off? Sometimes I plug mine in and the red light doesn't come on and other times I plug it in and the red light comes on and then goes off. I've assumed that if the red light isn't on, it isn't charging.

I don't always use the supplied charger but it makes no difference, electrically (if they tried to claim this caused the fault, I'd fight it). There's no communication with the charger using the data lines. The data lines are shorted in the Hudl 2-supplied charger just like they are in any universal charger that supplies more than 500 mA.

I've still got the charging problem even after the update. Been stuck at 54% with the red charge light on whilst I watched something on iPlayer for an hour. Normally it would charge with iPlayer running.

Guest cheese_aholic

When you say it's not charging, is the red light on or off? Sometimes I plug mine in and the red light doesn't come on and other times I plug it in and the red light comes on and then goes off. I've assumed that if the red light isn't on, it isn't charging.

I don't always use the supplied charger but it makes no difference, electrically (if they tried to claim this caused the fault, I'd fight it). There's no communication with the charger using the data lines. The data lines are shorted in the Hudl 2-supplied charger just like they are in any universal charger that supplies more than 500 mA.

Don't know about anyone else, but whenever mine's plugged in the red light comes on (which should indicate charging) however battery never actually charges. When the unit is turned off, it will charge until the light goes from red to green to indicate fully charged. I've never had a situation where I've plugged it in to find no light on...

Guest Clever Trevor

Mine seems to charge normally since the update.

I've moved lots of apps to the SD card to gain a bit more of the 9gb available out of the16gb advertised memory!!!

Guest benzodiazepines

Have you lot tried different chargers? Never had this problem but I've never used the official hudl charger, I just plugged my Samsung one in.

You need authorisation, apparently. If you don't have authorisation when you enter the store, they should let you ring from the phone in-store.

Guest welshblob

Still got the charging problem. Charger been connected for 22 hrs and it was stuck at 18%. Disconnected the charger and it said to reconnect at which point it is now stuck at 17%. Using a reliable 2a blackberry charger. This is not good.

Guest Pipedreambomb

At this point, the update has appeared to fix my charging issues, and others have reported the same. It's still a bit early to tell if it's fixed for good, but I'm optimistic.

If your Hudl still isn't charging after the update, I'd suggest you do a factory reset and then make sure you still have the latest OS update afterwards.

If that doesn't help, you probably need to contact Tesco support. They might have new advice that could help, now that the issue is better recognised and understood by the devs, but if not they should be able to replace your Hudl.

The odds of a replacement not having the charging issue seem to have improved now that many devices like mine are cured.

I know, I know, Tesco should have put out the perfect update that fixed everything. This is a users forum and all we can do, in practical terms, is work with the hands we're dealt. These are merely my suggestions for dealing with the situation. Sad I have to put this disclaimer, but I've been flamed several times on this thread for being perceived as a Tesco apologist when I'm just trying to keep things calm and rational.

Edited by Pipedreambomb

Guest mayburyds

The clock went iffy on mine today for the first time. Turning off and on reset it back to the correct time.

Charging has been OK, but it started charging properly a week before the update.

Cheers.

Guest Keeping Up

Mine has been charging perfectly since the update, and the clock has stayed correct. That's 3 days now, lomnger than it's ever worked before, so it looks like it's fixed.

After the update Chrome started misbehaving. It would access websites in my bookmarked list but not any new ones, and if I tried to use Google to search I got an error message saying the page was unavailable (other search engines were OK). I uninstalled the Chrome updates and reinstalled and it seems to work OK again. Then I discovered that YouTube wouldn't work either, and it still doesn't work (just hangs) despite all my attempts including uninstalling and re-installing (except I haven't tried a Factory Reset - I just can't face doing that again!)

Guest cheese_aholic

I honestly think my 2 are worse (in terms of charging) since the update! Before, they would go a day or 2 between resets. Now, lucky if they charges once normally before I have to resort to switching them off to charge!

I shall have to return them again I think (major pain as my kids lose all their game progress etc...)

Guest arnookie

I'm on the latest update and have found a problem even after factory reset.

Well after checking with "Battery Monitor widget" after noticing charge was dropping when power connected.

The results are grim!

Milliamp flow shows +2500ma one minute then drops to +957ma then drops to -1500ma.

Tried with 3 2.1amp chargers and cables to match. All give same results. Trying the hudl 2 charger and cable get the same results.

The thing I noticed is that after 30 minutes or so the charge seems to stable out at about 500ma with the hudle 2 charger.

But my note 4 charger outputs 600ma. But that is just not enough power to charge and use the device especially with screen on a lot.

Can other people try "Battery Monitor Widget" app off play store and see the results you get?

Maybe we can pin this down and find a fix.  

I'm on the latest update and have found a problem even after factory reset.

Well after checking with "Battery Monitor widget" after noticing charge was dropping when power connected.

The results are grim!

Milliamp flow shows +2500ma one minute then drops to +957ma then drops to -1500ma.

Tried with 3 2.1amp chargers and cables to match. All give same results. Trying the hudl 2 charger and cable get the same results.

The thing I noticed is that after 30 minutes or so the charge seems to stable out at about 500ma with the hudle 2 charger.

But my note 4 charger outputs 600ma. But that is just not enough power to charge and use the device especially with screen on a lot.

Can other people try "Battery Monitor Widget" app off play store and see the results you get?

Maybe we can pin this down and find a fix.  

There are some caveats when interpreting the values from Battery Monitor Widget or similar apps:

• the battery does not charge with 100% efficiency (no batteries do) and the efficiency varies with temperature, charge level and charge rate, among others
  • other parts of the system are consuming power from the charger, leaving less for the battery

My charging rate, according to Battery Monitor Widget, fluctuated between 1150 and 1800 mA between about 45-65% using a Samsung 2.1 A/10.2 W charger and 1 m long cable of indeterminate origin (and gauge) with the screen on and a few programs running in the background. The screen, other programs, inefficiency of charging and resistance of the cable probably account for the rest of the power.

I've ordered a 20 AWG microUSB cable and I own a 4.2 A PortaPow charger which together should enable me to see just how fast the battery can charge. I think that's the easiest way to eliminate the problem of power being consumed elsewhere by the tablet.

I think your readings are questionable though. What was running that was consuming 1500 mA from your battery? If that was running during charging, no wonder there were fluctuations in your readings and the charger couldn't provide enough power to charge the battery at maximum rate!

For comparisons I think the graphs produced by Simple Battery Graph are more appropriate because they're not affected as much by spurious fluctuations and you don't have to monitor and record the readings manually. Simple Battery Graph doesn't seem to include a way to save/share the graphs though. Perhaps there is a better alternative (it sure isn't Battery Monitor Widget!).