hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest 7enrique

You must have the 'magic tablet' who's battery never drains!

Either that or a hardware issue! I'd return it as it isn't a fault I've ever heard of.

EDIT: Just read http://www.modaco.com/index.php?/topic/374468-Battery-percentage-stays-at-100%-forever but I'd still exchange it.

Thanks for your opinion. the thing is I have had this device since January and never have seen such a thing. It is sticking to 100% since yesterday. have tried everything except factory reset.

Guest seanspotatobusiness

Thanks for your opinion. the thing is I have had this device since January and never have seen such a thing. It is sticking to 100% since yesterday. have tried everything except factory reset.

Could you install Battery Monitor Widget and tell us what it reports to be the battery voltage?

Guest HeWhoWatches

Click settings > about tablet and keep tapping the build number. I can't remember how many times it was. A message will appear saying it is unlocked. So just keep tapping till that happens. Then go back to the settings menu and there will now be developer options (just above about tablet) and in there is Stay awake. That was ticked for me. Untick.

Interesting, I tried this and the setting was not ticked for me. Thanks for the info though, nice to know how to get the developer options. For the record, I tapped the version number three times, at which point a message appeared stating I was four taps away from being a developer. So seven in total :)

Edited by HeWhoWatches

When you do a factory reset and then restore to a new one, will it remember the settings entered into Maildroid for example or does it just reinstall the app but no data?? When I returned first one I hadn't configured anything, just loaded apps when I noticed fault.

Guest monkey13

Interesting, I tried this and the setting was not ticked for me. Thanks for the info though, nice to know how to get the developer options. For the record, I tapped the version number three times, at which point a message appeared stating I was four taps away from being a developer. So seven in total :)

Shame I've confirmed it was the cause for me. I can actually switch the charging problem on and off with this option. With it on I get a charge about 1 in 5 times (but always if I power off completely). With it off it charges every time.

Have a look at the attached file. As you can see in the first charging block the line for screen on is solid all the time. Not the slightest break in it. It was certainly off (propped up next to the TV whilst I was watching the rugby.) Was black all the time.

Unticked for the next charge and as you can see it did charge and the graph says the screen was off for the whole time.

post-1052891-0-37998500-1423308988_thumb

Guest stevehudl2

As I posted in my other thread, Tesco just gave me an exchange number for a new one as my battery never goes below 100%. This will be my third one...

Wish my battery had infinite power lol.

Ever since the jan update my charging problems have been worse not better, trouble is that I got this as a present off the in-laws and I've been asking my wife to get the receipt almost daily since Dec 23rd and still dont have it, no point evening ringing tescos without it.

Guest 7enrique

Could you install Battery Monitor Widget and tell us what it reports to be the battery voltage?

Actually I have it installed since yesterday after problem shown. the voltage is 4315 mV at the moment, although it is being changed between 3972 to 4340 since yesterday. the strange thing is MA flow is -2mA!!

I'm now dicking around with Helium trying to get my head round how it works. I'll say one thing for Apple, backing up a device to iTunes then restoring to a new one is very slick compared to this mess.

Guest I am eusty

When you do a factory reset and then restore to a new one, will it remember the settings entered into Maildroid for example.

It's as it says a Factory Reset, it will be the same as when you very first turned on your Hudl.

Guest 7enrique

Actually I have it installed since yesterday after problem shown. the voltage is 4315 mV at the moment, although it is being changed between 3972 to 4340 since yesterday. the strange thing is MA flow is -2mA!!

So just find out obviously the minus amperage make sense, as it shows the flowing current which is being used by device

Guest 7enrique

Apparently my hudl2 just has back to normal now . I let it charge for 5 hours, ignoring the 100% bar was shown the whole time, and then unploged it and turn it off and on. Another thing I have done before restart, force stop some android and tesco processes include one for monitoring the usage.

But right now I'm just think about what if it happens again. this is really a shame a good tablet like this have these kind of problems. should we give up on hudl2? The thing is for this issue, stay on 100% charge bar, have seen some reports from users of Galaxy tabs, HTC one and some other devices. But what about other charging problems and clock problems which is being reported on this foroum, which has happened to mine couple of times. Maybe we should just wait for next updates and maybe Lollipop, then decide on giving up hudl2 or not.

It's as it says a Factory Reset, it will be the same as when you very first turned on your Hudl.

I understand that, what I meant was when the new one restores from the cloud, do my apps also restore their setup data, i.e. POP email in Maildroid (like an iOS device would when restoring using iTunes). It didn't but I've managed to do it using Helium.

Guest seanspotatobusiness

So just find out obviously the minus amperage make sense, as it shows the flowing current which is being used by device

It doesn't make sense if the device is not plugged in though because it would certainly be consuming much more than 2 mA.

Guest 7enrique

It doesn't make sense if the device is not plugged in though because it would certainly be consuming much more than 2 mA.

Correct, that -2 , I was talking about when it was plugged in.

Guest cheese_aholic

Shame I've confirmed it was the cause for me. I can actually switch the charging problem on and off with this option. With it on I get a charge about 1 in 5 times (but always if I power off completely). With it off it charges every time.

Have a look at the attached file. As you can see in the first charging block the line for screen on is solid all the time. Not the slightest break in it. It was certainly off (propped up next to the TV whilst I was watching the rugby.) Was black all the time.

Unticked for the next charge and as you can see it did charge and the graph says the screen was off for the whole time.

Got me all excited there; but no. The option was un ticked for me too, so still got the charging problems!

It's worse since the update as far as I'm concerned; such a pity as the HUDL is a great little tablet, especially with the kids restrictions etc...

Just wish it would charge properly (it would be nice if the battery lasted longer than a couple of hours as well, mind you...!)

Guest monkey13

Got me all excited there; but no. The option was un ticked for me too, so still got the charging problems!

It's worse since the update as far as I'm concerned; such a pity as the HUDL is a great little tablet, especially with the kids restrictions etc...

Just wish it would charge properly (it would be nice if the battery lasted longer than a couple of hours as well, mind you...!)

Damn has worked for me.

Just to find out what do other people's battery charts look like? Does it say you are getting a charge and what do the screen and awake lines say?

In case anyone doesn't know settings > battery > click on the chart at the top.

Guest monkey13

Oh one more thing. What if you try ticking it and then unticking? Since it was ticked for me but not doing anything I wonder if doing that might make a difference.

Guest arnookie

Try this just go to settings and then battery and display turn daydream off. I found using "Battery monitor widget" That ma flow increses whith this option off. You have to let it sit for 5 mins though to see the change increase. mine went from 456ma to 1850 ma flow. 1850 ma is just about the right amount of flow to charge and use the tablet.

The milliamps will drop when in use but are much better than before. Mine show 800-1200 ma when in use and 1850 ma when left with screen off.  Don't forget the milliamps will drop to about 8ma when fully charged. So you must be below 80% before you will see this work.

Finally mine is staying at 100% whilst I'm using it plugged in. hurray :0)

Edited by arnookie

Guest waj1234

Had mine since 12th jan and had all the issues listed here. I did wait until the update to see if it fixed it but it has not done much. I have had enough of it now and just want a refund.

Do they offer refunds? I bought in store and paid cash. Do you still have to call support to do it?

Thanks

Simon.

Guest arnookie

Try what I posted above and turn daydream off. Yay mines charged fully for the first time since I got it in November. :0).    Easier is to go to settings, display, daydream and turn it off. :0)

Edited by arnookie

A little help with this problem.

Hi to everyone to start being new, I'm 62 and quiet conversant with electronics being a radio amateur for some 30 odd years. Having been brought this Hudl 2 at xmas as the rest of the household all have ipads, which to be honest the ipad does not impress me in the slightest.

I came across this charging problem everyone was taking about. called into Tesco yesterday to purchase the charging kit (1m and 3m micro-usb cable pack with car and home charger) £12.00. Good quality product, plugged in and working before I left the Tesco car park.

Thing to keep in mind if you wish to use the Hudl 2 when charging is to, plug in the car adapter or home adapter then turn off your hudl 2. Press and hold the power off button then select ok to power off. Once it has powered off your ok to power back on again, wait for the battery indicator to show that charging is taking place, then power up your Hudl 2, allow it to load up and you should find the Hudl 2 is now charging.

This you can check by going into settings / battery top of the screen it will show the per cent % and charging. Check back after a few minutes you should see the charge % is now climbing.

If you do this each time you wish to use and charge at the same time, you should have no problem.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to works via USB cable when connected to the USB port of a computer.

Must say I was not impressed with the quality of the cheap charging cable that was supplied with the Hudl 2, the two cables in the charging kit are of much better quality.

Phillip.

Edited by Eriba

Guest aerostar

1 of these ebay  200941902700 £1.49

1 of these ebay 271523165526  £2.15

1 of these ebay 140901579664 99p

should give you method of testing voltage and current on Hudl and most USB devices

I have all and are very useful on monitoring USB device power