hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest Pipedreambomb

@christhedj Amazing news! I hope it's OK if I reproduce Tesco's response from your blog post here? Let me know and I'll take it down. Here it is for posterity, though everyone should read Chris' article:

We asked Tesco whether it is aware of the problem. A spokesman told us,

"A very small number of customers have raised concerns their hudl 2 device sometimes fails to charge. This is an isolated issue and can be resolved by holding down the power button for ten seconds to reset the device.

We are however working on a software update which will be released to customers next month. In the meantime if customers still need support to resolve, they should contact the hudl helpline team."

This is quite a turnaround, as Clever Trevor posted yesterday telling us he'd phoned Tesco and they appeared quite clueless on the topic. It may be the case that the developers were working on it, but hadn't updated the support team. I don't think I've mentioned, but I'm a software developer myself, and that would not surprise me in the least!

Anyway, cool, they've accepted it's a software bug and a patch is coming. That's basically all I was hoping for. Thanks again to Chris and The Inquirer for championing our problems and, I can only assume, doggedly hounding Tesco into submission :D

Edited by Pipedreambomb

Guest state-it

"A very small number of customers have raised concerns their hudl 2 device sometimes fails to charge. This is an isolated issue and can be resolved by holding down the power button for ten seconds to reset the device.

I'm assuming the '10-second' reset is just a data and/or Dalvik wipe, not a factory reset?

I don't want to attempt it if it's the latter.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

TIA,

Sullivan

Guest state-it

That'll be an OTA update then - wonder what'll happen to ROOTed units?

'KERPLUNK'  ??  :blush:

[edit] I'm not rooted yet (my other devices are). But what I find odd is even after my initial purchase (13th Oct) I've had a couple of updates. First the initial 'first use' update, then the OTA that came a week-or-so after the release. So I make that two updates.

But when I go to: "Settings | About Tablet | hudl updates"  it reports 'Last updated on 03 October 2014'

I've always found that most odd. And build number does report as the 20141009.191216 version. [/edit]

Edited by state-it

Guest mark2410

well, FFS the new one is now doing the hyper slow charge too.  if tesco are paying attention they had better get this fix soon, seems like a stupid issue to be having.

Guest Keeping Up

Three days ago I bought a Hudl 2, and it had this same problem.

As you will know if you've had one, the first thing that happens after switch on is that it performs an update to the Operating system. I was very suspicious that after this update, although everything appeared to complete normally, the Hudl didn't boot up again by itself but required me to press the "On" button. It then appeared to behave normally and I spent the evening setting up two user accounts and installing/updating the apps I wanted. Everything seemed good except for one small thing; under the smiley face on the lock screen or on the top-right swipe-down screen, instead of showing the user name it showed just the number 2.

After it failed to charge up, I read this forum and phoned Tesco's helpline. Immediately that I reported charging problems, the helpful operator gave me a Returns number and advised me to return to the store for an exchange.

Without much confidence, yesterday (Friday) I exchanged the Hudl for a new one, and took it home to charge. When I switched on, after the update it performed the way I had hoped, booting itself up without any further intervention from myself. The username display bug had disappeared, and I noticed one other difference that it had booted up with the latest version of Chrome whereas the faulty one had booted up with the previous version which it had then updated the following day.

The new Hudl has performed properly now for 24 hours, including two further recharge cycles which were both successful. I am keep[ing my fingers crossed.

I wonder if this gives any clues?

Guest mark2410

so, im beginning to wonder does this charging bug affect ALL hudl's?

i know not everyone would notice or think to come here and post but the two ive had had it and others here too have had multiple ones do it, so have we just been super unlucky or does it affect each and everyone?

Guest Clever Trevor

I'm now on my last Hudl 2. I'm going to suffer the problems and ring Tesco's every day until they get the charging and clock issue sorted out. I mean, if four Hudl 2's have the same identical problems, either they're all suffering with un-repairable hardware faults or repairable software issues. I even tried getting a different colour to see if the possibility of a change of batch helped, but if course it downloaded the same software.

Lets hope Tesco's get this sorted before Christmas, or they'll have thousands of returns, only to have the replaced units returned because they're being replaced with the same software their original units had. If you see what I mean, lol.

I'll be on the phone first thing in the morning and report back after I speak to them.

Edited by Clever Trevor

I've seen this issue I believe for the first time yesterday. The unit appeared to stop charging any further than 65% even though the red charge light was on and the screen was off.

I'd got so far as comparing this with last years hudl1 and nexus 7 screen issues that ultimately were fixed with software updates.

When using the hudl2 prior to the small 9MB update, I've thought the overall battery charge and use lasted longer than now post the last OTA update. It could just be coincidence......

Either way, it looks more and more like a software/firmware issue which Tesco willing will be fixed via an OTA update before hudl2 gains too much of a critical mass for Tesco to deal with, without creating terminal bad press.

Guest Clever Trevor

Just sent this to Tesco's.

Hi Tesco's.

I've had three of your Hudl 2's with charging and clock problems.

Your seem to have the Hudl 2's downloading software with issues, but don't want to do anything about it. Your Tech help line people are lovely, but are not aware of or have not been informed of this problem.

I feel there is absolutely no point me getting another Hudl 2, and there's no point your helpline giving out returns numbers. There's nothing wrong with the machines, unless they're not compatible with the software download.

Last time I spoke to one of your helpline representatives, a week ago, they said they'd get someone from the Tesco's technical department to ring me, but no one has yet.

Here is a link to a forum with several comments concerning the Hudl 2 charging etc, problem.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/373798-hudl2-does-not-charge/?hl=%2Bhudl#entry2239696

Please address this as a matter of urgency. Or after Christmas, you'll could have thousands of people on the phone complaining, and visiting the returns departments in all Tesco's stores.

Thanks for reading this. Hope to hear from you soon about you updating our Hudl 2's.

Edited by Clever Trevor

Guest Pipedreambomb

All, I haven't experienced the clock issue, but to address the charging one, since apparently more people are having the problem:

Just shut down the Hudl when you need to charge it, and it charges fine. Quickly, even.

It's annoying that you can't use it while it charges, especially since the battery life isn't great. Personally, I can live with that, and am still using my Hudl quite a lot.

Tesco have recognised the bug and said they will have an update in the next month.

Guest Keeping Up

All, I haven't experienced the clock issue, but to address the charging one, since apparently more people are having the problem:

Just shut down the Hudl when you need to charge it, and it charges fine. Quickly, even.

It's annoying that you can't use it while it charges, especially since the battery life isn't great. Personally, I can live with that, and am still using my Hudl quite a lot.

Tesco have recognised the bug and said they will have an update in the next month.

Yes that is obviously a work-around.

It is however not a good work-around. When I use the Hudl on-and-off throughout the day, I expect to be able to maintain battery life by plugging it in when I am not using it, without switching it off which (1) forgets or restes a number of things and (2) takes a long time to fire up again, just like going back to using Windows.

It is acceptable as a work-around for a week or two. It is barely acceptable as a work-around for a month, and would definitely NOT be acceptable as a permanent work-around which is what it would most likely become if a sufficient number of people do not keep pressing Tesco for a permanent fix.

Guest Pipedreambomb

Keeping Up, yes of course you're right, I'm not the only one facing this problem, and though it's not a terrible hardship for me, that doesn't mean otters aren't more affected.

I just hoped to reassure some of the readers of this forum who are experiencing it for the first time that there is a workaround, and it works for me, at least. For every person who has signed up and posted that their Hudl has developed the issue, there will be many more Googling the problem and finding this thread llooking for answers, so I thought a bit of context seemed appropriate.

By all means keep up the pressure by emailing or phoning Tesco. I'm personally assuaged by their disclosure to The Inquirer (see earlier in this thread) that "We are however working on a software update which will be released to customers next month."

In my opinion, they'd be crazy to leave it unfixed given its apparent prevalence and severity, but stranger things have happened.

Guest SilverDad

Hello Everyone,

I've been a lurker on this forum to now, but it is time to chime in.

Switching your device off is not, in any way, a workaround. A workaround is something you can do to keep you going.

In every other Android tablet I've owned, have access to or have developed with (that's 6 models); I do not have to switch off from one week to the next, let alone in the middle of whatever I'm doing.

Implying that switching the device off is acceptable "to reassure readers" is poor. That you are willing to put up with this is your prerogative, but please do not assume that it is normal or acceptable for others.

The article by Chris Merriman at the Inquirer says there will be an update next month. Is there any formal statement by Tesco on the issue? Or for that matter, is there a dept in Tesco that has a vague understanding of any tech?

Incidentally, Chris, if you read this... You say you are going to review the non-faulty Hudl2. Apart from my doubts that such a thing exists; why? Why not review the one that most of us have and highlight the faults?

Cheers

Guest Pipedreambomb

Jesus guys, you don't have to take your anger out on me. If you look back a page of two in this thread, you'll see I was highly critical of Tesco and put together all the facts I researched about the problems with my own device. I came to the conclusion that a software patch was the only way this would get solved, and Tesco has now confirmed that.

Sorry if I'm not as pissed off as you are. I never "assumed" anything about the problems others had, nor did I diminish the hassle it is causing you. I just wanted to allay the fears of a lot of people who come to this site because they can't get their new tablet to charge especially given Tesco's apparently clueless support staff, and tell them there's a way to still use their Hudls. If it's not a satisfactory workaround for you, fine, I'm in no way trying to stop you from airing your grievances.

Can't we all get along?

Hello all, I've not visited modaco for quiet some time now.

Anyway, on Saturday I purchased a brand new Hudl2 in grey. The first time using its own charger it charged great, but since then I've had to restart it each time before it will charge. This is using the supplied 2 amp charger and USB cable.

The light comes on, and the lock screen shows charging but the percentage does not increase. I left it for 4 hours and it sat at 26% the whole time, so I restarted it after reading here and its now up to 37% and rising.

I've hardly installed anything yet, and the device is virgin and not rooted in any way.

Looks like I'll have to restart every time I need to charge the Hudl2 up.

Guest Clever Trevor

Tesco's Tech (not!) Rang me today for info concerning our charging problem. They apparently have 15 Hudl 2's in their office and none of them have any problems. I insisted they ran one down to a low percentage charge and tried recharging it. Apparently there was no problem with charging on their office units.

When I asked them to investigate why mine and several others are having issues, they didn't know but offered me a returns number so I could get fourth Hudl 2 to replace my third Hudl 2.

Lovely people but still not the technical side of things I asked to ring me.

Waiting now for a firmware update to solve the problem !!!

Guest Keeping Up

I spoke to Teso again today. Their response is that "this a known problem" (which is encouraging) and that "a factory Reset will definitely cure it". Somehow I don't feel encouraged by this response because unless they have just issued a firmware upgdate it will just make the issue go away for a day.

I'll report back when I've done the upgrade and used it for another day.

Guest Pipedreambomb

I spoke to Teso again today. Their response is that "this a known problem" (which is encouraging) and that "a factory Reset will definitely cure it". 

It definitely cured mine! A whole three days of cure.

I guess you could ring back again when it stops being "cured", but at that point they'll probably ask you to return it.